CDIH
So where were you - When you heard about wtc bombings? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: So where were you - When you heard about wtc bombings? (/showthread.php?tid=2915)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- Galt - 08-01-2002

I'm sitting in the room I was in when everything went down. It's the first time I've been here since that day (which was the first time I was ever in this room).

I had a training at this building when I was working.

The training was supposed to start at 8:30, it started a little late, but when the lecturer started he made a big ordeal about making everyone turn off their cell phones. Not just putting them on vibrate, but shutting them off because it was a sign of respect.

We had our first break at about 10:00, and before that time every once in a while someone would get up and leave, but because all the phones were off, you didn't think much of it.

After the break, I walked out to roam around since I was considering going to school here.

I saw a bunch of people huddled in the corner (like 20) and I figured it was a class or a lecture or something so I went over to see what it was.

I walked around the corner and the first thing I saw was a split screen with the Trade Centers and Pentagon ablaze.

It started the fall before I was even able to grasp what the hell was going on.

- Metalfan - 08-01-2002

I was then where I am now.......sitting at my desk in a midtown office building :-( Only then, NO work was getting done....as opposed to now...I'm feebly attempting to get work done :thumbs-up:

- Buttmunch - 08-01-2002

West Broadway and Chambers Street.

- Danked - 08-01-2002

I was just pulling into work listening to the Sports Guys of all things when Craig (I think it was when he was there) said that a plane had just collided with one of the buildings. He was describing the large "football-sized hole" in the side of the building and all the smoke that began to pour out almost immediately. I sat in my car for about 5 minutes not moving and blocking traffic. It was a strange moment.

- Sean Cold - 08-01-2002

I was supposed to be on a site on Church Street. I was putting off that job for a long time and didn't want to be stuck in the city that day.

I pulled the crew and we went to Pearl River NY and Fort Lee, NJ to work on sites.

I was in Pearl River and didn't hear about it till around 10 AM.

I tried to get the crew there to go home but they wouldn't listen. So, I just left.

- Corpsegrinder13 - 08-01-2002

I was home. I had a meeting with my county legislator @ 10 am and when I woke up I saw the horror...

- Maynard - 08-01-2002

I was at work. Sitting in front of this fucking time waster. I first heard about it through the thread on oa.com by Tequila who said it was a small prop plane. Well.....it all just went downhill from there.

Luckily we have a cable feed at my work so we could watch the news.

how weird that this thread is up a month early. :clueless:

- Sean Cold - 08-01-2002

But, in retrospect, I do recall that fucknut Tequila posting on OA.com and saying he found it funny.

- Doc - 08-01-2002

I was about two miles away right on the river's edge in Hoboken, Castle-Point-on-Hudson.

- Spitfire - 08-01-2002

This thread is early...

I was pulling up to my boss's driveway, I heard Stern say a plane hit a building. By the time I got into the house, I was able to watch the 2nd hit on live tv...Then I just sat here and watched tv and cried until I had the strength to drive home...

My boss and co-worker were on the Turnpike on the way to Fort Lee and couldn't understand why there was so much traffic. They didn't have the radio on...and didn't know til they called the client about being late and she told them to turn around and go home.

- Sean Cold - 08-01-2002

Quote:how weird that this thread is up a month early.

Quote:This thread is early...

Ummm, sorry, but, care?

You two are sharing the same brain today, aren't you?

- Spitfire - 08-01-2002

Actually, I like that it is posted now....we're going to be inundated by the press and all their 9/11 Memorial shows - (= major ratings for the networks...)

We're talking about it before the hype makes it bland...
the media tends to destroy the purity of things...

- Doc - 08-01-2002

Quote:the media tends to destroy the purity of things...

I think if the media televised memorial services that starred monkeys trying to fuck footballs it would still make that day the shittiest day I remember

- Corpsegrinder13 - 08-01-2002

Quote:But, in retrospect, I do recall that fucknut Tequila posting on OA.com and saying he found it funny.

And you expected anything less???

- Ken'sPen - 08-01-2002

I was caught in traffic on the turnpike,
it was surreal,
I had a view of the towers,
It looked like a parking lot, so many cars were pulled over,
people watching.... some crying.

I got to work and watched the rest on TV.

- OAS - 08-01-2002

Sure, nobody starts a where were you when Kennedy was shot thread.

Across the river in Jersey. I had my managers from around the country in town and just started the second day of leadership training in our conference room when I heard my admin scream. She was on the phone making some travel arrangements for me and was looking out the window and saw the first plane hit. I told the meeting to break up and come look at what I figured was an accident that they would all see on the news that night. We were all watching as I saw the second plane come across the harbor. As soon as I said something like what is that stupid fucking plane doing, it disappeared behind tower 2 and we saw the explosion. Needless to say everyone was glued to the window watching through the collapse. I spent the next two days trying to find rental cars for everyone to get back home.

- FNMoron - 08-01-2002

I was sleeping when the first plane hit... Sluggo called me & told me what happened... I think I turned the TV on just in time to see the 2nd plane hit...

- barch97 - 08-01-2002

I first heard when I got into work. Was listening to the sports guys but, got tired of them complaining about how they're supposed to talk about sports and not what they did over the weekend. So, I put in a CD at about 8:30 and, missed the big news.

Quote:I first heard about it through the thread on oa.com by Tequila who said it was a small prop plane.

As I recall, it was originally being reported as a small prop plane and, not just by Tequila.

Quote:I do recall that fucknut Tequila posting on OA.com and saying he found it funny.

When the guy in my office told me I laughed. Not that I thought it was a joke but, that it was funny that someone could hit a building with a plane. Sure, we all know now how funny it wasn't but, no one said "terrorist" until long after the second plane hit. Until then we all thought it was just a plane crash.

- Galt - 08-01-2002

Two days later, my VP of sales sent an email to all the salespeople telling us that he wanted each of us to call everyone one of our customers to see if we could "help" them in any way, and then followed with a two paragraph pitch about all the ways that my company could offer any specific help depending on whatever someone's fear might be.

It just made me want to vomit by how quickly the guy wanted to target scared people and try and make money of it. He was probably shorting United at 8:47AM

Edited By Galt on Aug. 01 2002 at 10:54

- OAS - 08-01-2002

Quote:When the guy in my office told me I laughed. Not that I thought it was a joke but, that it was funny that someone could hit a building with a plane

That is funny in a way. As much as I fly, I knew the only flight pattern around that area of the city is the short east/west runway at Newark. For the most part the commuter props use that approach. I was asking my admin if she could tell what the plane looked like and she thought it was a Continental Express prop.