CDIH
Just cause you can draw pretty pictures, - Doesn't make you an architect. - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Just cause you can draw pretty pictures, - Doesn't make you an architect. (/showthread.php?tid=3078)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Arthur Dent - 08-09-2002

Ideas for the WTC, by the people.

Some really nice pics, but doesn't look like ANY of them read the actual requirements for the site.

I'm gonna pull a Ken and respond to myself now.

[Image: 23.jpg]
Quote:Proposed name: Memorial Circle

"The proposed edifice respects and underscores the importance of maintaining as a Memorial, the now empty ground that was originally the Twin Towers ... The proposed building would consist of three office buildings ... The four square-shaped sky bridges would increase security and facilitate traveling for tenants and visitors ... The two footprints would each become ... Memorial Gardens with trees and basins. As a token of respect for the loss of the firefighters, bronze statues of firemen could be created, holding hoses that would act as fountains spraying into the basins. The proposed plan would connect the surrounding street grid through a traffic circle.

-- Erik Sieb in Quebec

Just one of 145 or so ideas.

- Ken'sPen - 08-09-2002

hack......
there I helped your reply count.

[Image: 8.jpg]
Quote:"This proposal would be the tallest tower on the planet -- a "21st Century Eiffel Tower." This new tension cable shroud technology was developed by David Geiger, P.E., one of the most famous engineers of the last century ... It would replace the observation deck and broadcast antennas lost on 9/11. More importantly, it is a destination memorial experience that boldly punctuates the skyline, while enshrouding a memorial reflecting pond at its base, over three acres in size, protected from the bustling streets ... A level is dedicated for memorial visitations by victims' families."

-- Gregory J. Higgins in New York, New York

Check out this one.

- Corpsegrinder13 - 08-09-2002

[Image: 23.jpg]

"...A series of water falls into reflecting pools, starting very high between two towers and ending up in a larger pool ... In the large reflecting pool ... could be a magnificent statue of a group of firefighters back to back with fire hoses spraying water back into the pool."

-- Michael Cole in Texas

I like this one as far as the concept goes

Edited By Corpsegrinder13 on Aug. 09 2002 at 11:06

- Arpikarhu - 08-09-2002

i think they should build a 110 story mock up of the accident, plane and all, so we will always be reminded of the attack and can weep in eternity.

- Ken'sPen - 08-09-2002

This is the point where Apri exhibits no remorse for his
"Where were you when I posted this thread" thread.

- Kid Afrika - 08-09-2002

Again, I think that everyone should just shut the fuck up about what will be built at the WTC site. It's not your choice, you don't have the knowledge, money or political pull to make it happen anyway. So, shut the fuck up, sit the fuck down and "know your role".

- Ken'sPen - 08-09-2002

I think you are quite wrong Afrika....
I think this WILL be an issue that gets swayed by public opinion, heavily.

We all know that everyone likes to think they play a part in something kid. You ae 100% correct that none of us have anything to say about it, but it's at least nice to know that some artists give enough of a shit to add an idea.

Quote:I think this WILL be an issue that gets swayed by public opinion, heavily.

Then again, public opinion is that there is too much office space reserved and that most of it should be given over to low cost housing. In direct violation of the 99 year lease agreement between the Port Authority and the guy who holds the lease (forgot his name right now.)

That's the public voice being heard because more reasonable people "know their role". The vocal minority is making the silent majority look bad once again.

- Ken'sPen - 08-09-2002

Dent you are contradicting yourself.....
My point is not that a vocal minority should or could get its way,
I am talking about the silent majority, they don't seem so silent on this issue, ideas abound all over the place, and I think the majorities opinion will carry some weight and be accomodated to.

- Arpikarhu - 08-09-2002

just what you want, low-cost housing in the middle of the financial district. thats a good way to keep all of the brokerage houses and exchanges in new york. bright thinking.

No, I was contradicting Kid saying we should all shut up and mind our own business.

While people do sit back because they don't think they can accomplish anything, there are tons of special interest groups who are busy pushing their agendas. Like low-cost housing. Or censorship on TV. Or a ton of other stuff. And a lot of that stuff is things that reasonable people don't like. But it gets put into action because the reasonable people don't do anything about it.

"Know your role." If enough people are all saying the same thing loud enough, the people who do have the power are forced to listen.

I think they should wait to build anything there until they get leases signed by and offices that would be willing to rent the space. Low income housing there would be a fucking mockery...

- Jack - 08-09-2002

Only problem with getting leases signed now in our economy is that say some company Signs a 1 year lease for when it becomes available. Now I expect construction to take at the very least til 2005 (2 1/2 years). Now what happens if in that 2 1/2 years, said company goes out of business?

The existing 99 year lease with Silverman (i think that's his name) stipulates that a certain amount of office and retail space MUST be built so he can sub-let it all and bring in revenue. He's got at least a year's worth to recover, probably 4 or five by the time this gets built.

If not, they are in violation of the contract. City/Port Authority can't afford to give the money back or to lose a lawsuit over it.

- Arpikarhu - 08-09-2002

it will take 100 years to build anything there. the families of the victims will never agree and want it to be "holy ground". a place of eternal mourning. the PA will want tons of commercial space. the city will want to appease everyone. it will go around in circles forever! i think the idea of holy ground is absurd and turning it into this shrine would be depressing and bad for the business of NY.

- Jack - 08-09-2002

Personally, I wouldn't want to be in one of those buildings. If anyone ever wanted to do something to hurt us again, that would be the #1 target.

- Ken'sPen - 08-09-2002

they are already raping businesses,
I hear Rents are skyrocketing because of the PROJECTED traffic that will be generated as people pay hommage.