CDIH
They're tracking you - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: They're tracking you (/showthread.php?tid=3171)

- Arthur Dent - 08-14-2002

Well, I knew it was bound to happen...

Quote:Out of bounds: Pinpointing workers by their mobile phones
August 14, 2002 Posted: 8:17 AM EDT (1217 GMT)

Companies are paying on average $20 dollars per month to keep tabs on each of their employees

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Andrew Brown
CNN Correspondent

HONG KONG, China (CNN) -- The movie "Enemy of the State" featured high tech bugs, small enough to fit into the sole of a shoe.

But in the real world you may not need such sophisticated devices to pin down a target -- at least not if they're carrying a mobile phone.

If Watson's Water want to know where employee Thomas Chui is, they contact his mobile phone. It is no problem if he doesn't pick up, as Chui's phone is linked to a computer that tracks his movements.

As he roams around Hong Kong, dispatchers from his company can see his position on a map. The information is delivered in real time and while not as accurate as the GPS tracking technology, it is accurate within 200 meters.

That's not a precise fix -- but it can be delivered without the use of expensive satellite technology.

"Previous technologies have tried to address these issues but unfortunately have tended to rely on hardware driven solutions. And that has proven to be an expensive proposition," says Michael Tang from the Pinpoint Company.

The Pinpoint Company has developed a tracking service for the Hong Kong market.

Regular GSM mobile phones are used and subscribers are also able to receive text messages from their employer.

CNN NewsPass VIDEO
CNN's Andrew Brown looks at a software company that has created a tracking service linked to mobile phones that show users' movements.

Play video

CNN.com Asia
More news from our
Asia edition

The service has been adopted by -- among others -- Watson's Water which has hundreds of workers out in the field delivering supplies and fixing water coolers -- that's what Thomas Chui does.

Companies are paying on average $20 dollars per month to keep tabs on each of their employees. Firms use the tracking system to improve efficiency.

"It typically ranges anywhere between 10 to 15 per cent increase in productivity. That is a tangible saving which you can measure by how many additional jobs the field workers are doing each month," says Tang.

Intrusive
Some analysts point out these systems can be intrusive since employees are always carrying a mobile.

"As an employee there's frankly not much you can do about it if your boss wants to know where you are," comments Duncan Clark, managing director at BDA China, a technology consulting and research firm.

"You could in the past say you were at the office when in fact you were at the bar -- in fact there are some bars called the office where you could actually tell your boss or your spouse truthfully that you're still in the office."

"All of our services are very developed in that we must protect the privacy of the user," says Tang.

It's too early to say where this technology is heading.

But in Hong Kong the impact could be far reaching.

Tracked by phone.

- Arpikarhu - 08-14-2002

this is a great idea. catch the slackers in the act! every second that they are not working is tantamount to theft. they get paid to work not to dawdle and hide.

- PollyannaFlower46 - 08-14-2002

My cell phone which is for my personal use has a tracking device in it that I activated so that if I never know where I am, I can be located by EMS, etc. in an emergency...and just like with the net, if you're using something that belongs to your company, you shouldn't expect privacy.

- SYNTuesday - 08-14-2002

It's acually kind of cool. I read an article on this. Thing is the cell phone companies' software keeps track of the nearest broadcast tower so they can give you the clearest signal. As they experience a signal drop, they make the phone put out a call to all towers, and the one they get the strongest reading from, they know you're closer to that one. In dowtown manhattan they can track you to the nearest block by this method. Even when you're not talking, the phone periodically sends out a test signal, so if someone calls, theyll be able to direct the signal to you best.