CDIH
I need some geek help - Building a gamers comp - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: I need some geek help - Building a gamers comp (/showthread.php?tid=3314)

- Zootybang - 08-25-2002

Okay folks, this was the first place i thought of with my problem. You guys seem to know everything about these infernal machines.
I am a first-person shooter-multiplayer addict. I have been for a couple of years. The problem Is, my comp sucks. I get major lag and connection problems.
I need to know what components i need to buy to upgrade my machine for ONLY game playing. The only other thing i use it for is stupid websites, message boards and e-mail.

I have a bone-stock, no- upgrades Dell dimension xps t700r. My memory sucks, 1g, I think. Maybe its 1meg. I obviously know shit about computers.
It's got a pentium III, and a soundblaster pro card.
I dont care that much about my sound quality. What I want Is smoother and faster gameplay during games like Battlefield 1942 and SOFII.
I only have about 600 dollars free cash right now. What would be the best part, or parts I could get In this price range to Improve my machines performance ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, I have a cable modem, so I dont think my connection Is the problem.

Edited By Zootybang on Aug. 24 2002 at 9:41

- Arpikarhu - 08-25-2002

Quote:I only have about 600 dollars free cash right now.
the best you can do is pay me $50 an hour to use my computer

- AdolescentMasturbator - 08-25-2002

All these prices are off newegg.

512 MB of Crucial PC2100-$141
Atlon XP 2100 Retail version+-$139
Half-decent motherboard-depends on your tastes, approximately $90

Now the video card is trickier. I'd try to go for an Nvidia Ti4200 128 MB at least. You may want a 4400 or a 4600 even but that might require droppinng the cpu speed a bit.

But there's no doubt it's a kickass gaming set up for less than 600.

- Zootybang - 08-25-2002

Thanks alot, AM. Once I figure out just what those things are, I'll check them out.I hope to buy all this shit tomorrow, because i'm getting really frustrated trying to play online, and thats all I do In my free time.

- Hummercash - 08-25-2002

hey am, wut about radeon9000 or 9700???

- Weird NJ - 08-25-2002

Dude, Get a Dell!
[Image: DELLSM.jpg]
Oh, Wait. :lol:

- Bartman - 08-25-2002

Id also say you might need to pick up a new power supply... and hummer a 9000 is a piece of shit and a 9700 is just out of his price range...Am is right in all of his suggestions also sound card you might want to go for a motherboard with on board sound that would help with keeping costs down but for sure no on board video

- AdolescentMasturbator - 08-25-2002

If you are into sound I suggest the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. It's a really good card if you can get it.

- onehung - 08-25-2002

Quote:What I want Is smoother and faster gameplay during games like Battlefield 1942 and SOFII.

Drop the refresh rate of your moniter to 60mhz if you have it set higher than that, and set the video mode to 16 colors...

I was getting shitty gameplay with mine set at 75mhz/ 32 colors

- AdolescentMasturbator - 08-26-2002

It's hz. Not mhz.

- The Sleeper - 08-26-2002

Quote:It's hz. Not mhz.
word the fuck up niggs

- onehung - 08-26-2002

Quote:It's hz. Not mhz.

hz /mhz. Its all the fucking same. ends with hertz

- Zootybang - 08-26-2002

It's definately all the same to me. You guys might as well be explaining quantom physics. But I do appreciate the help.