CDIH
Hopkins vs. roy jones jr. - Will they fight again? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Hopkins vs. roy jones jr. - Will they fight again? (/showthread.php?tid=347)

- Keyser Soze - 02-08-2002

These fuckers need to settle their bullshit and get this fight going. Jones refuses to drop to middleweight or split the purse evenly with Hopkins. Roy already beat Hopkins so why should he have to compromise? Jones was quoted... "I told him a long time ago: If you want to fight me, win a super middleweight (168-pound) title," Jones said. "Give me something to come take away from you. I love titles." Hopkins retorts "My career is not based and predicated on me fighting Roy Jones, I'm glad that I have three belts because that means I have three mandatories a year and I can make $2 or $3 million every time I step in the ring with Donald Duck. I can deal with that. I can live with that. I'm not going to be upset if I don't get Roy. If you really look at it, you can't blame a person for not wanting to get in there with Bernard Hopkins."

Roy and Bernard need to stop fighting chumps and get this fight going. Its getting boring watching them roll over one opponent after the other. At least give me a Hopkins/Trinidad rematch.

- Gooch - 02-08-2002

I personally think Roy Jones would kill him. Nothing riles Jones more than not liking a guy. He's that damn good.

And, as for the bullshit about Jones having trouble with Hearns if they fought, which was part of the commentary as he shellacked that piece of meat in the ring...I've seen Hearns fight in his heyday, and I've watched boxing a longtime. Speed killed Hearns, and Roy Jones is as fast as Sugar Ray Leonard with alot more power. I personally wish and think that if that middleweight heyday had been today, Roy Jones Jr. would still been champ. And this is not a light thing to say. Hagler vs. Jones would be more of an interesting match, b/c of Hagler's power.

Hopkins...let him learn english first, cuz that ebonics ain't gonna cut it at the bargianing table. That guy is trash.

- Keyser Soze - 02-08-2002

Hagler vs. Jones

Sugar Ray vs. Jones

Dammit, you are making me drool.

Jones is the ultimate middleweight cursed with being there at the wrong time. The talent level in boxing today is just so watered down and the good fighters don't seem to fight each other enough.

- GonzoStyle - 02-09-2002

They both need to, Roy needs his defining fight. Hopkins needs one as well to prove that Trinidad was not a fluke, plus he needs the pay day.

But do not think Jones just cruises through hopkins. When they last fought a decade ago, it was a very different Hopkins from what he is today. Plus Roy had a very hard time with him and didn't dominate Hopkins like he did James Toney. I pick Jones by decision, but if anyone has a legitamte chance to beat Roy Jones other than heavyweights it is Bernard Hopkins bar none. Just like Vernon forrest had the best chance at welterweight to beat Shane Mosley and he did.

The power, speed, and mind games all go to roy jones because he still is the most gifted boxer in my opinion since Ali. George Foreman who KO'ed men who beat ali like Frazier and Ken Norton said he was only scared one time in the ring, when he pumeled ali in the 5th round and ali clinched and said "is that all you got, george?" Well no one gave ali a chance they actually were not concerned with ali winning but ali making it out alive, people in 1974 also said that Foreman would kill the aged ali. What Ali taught us that night was do not count greatness out.

Quote:Jones is the ultimate middleweight cursed with being there at the wrong time. The talent level in boxing today is just so watered down and the good fighters don't seem to fight each other enough.

If jones was a middleweight he'd have a dozen super fights lined up. Roy Jones is a light-heavyweight. Jones fights at 175, and Hopkins fights at 160. Jones has agreed to the Catchweight of 168 with Hopkins.

Here lies the problem, fighters struggle to make weight and when they get in the ring they are generally a few pounds heavier than their previous day weigh in. Jones weighs in 175 but enters the ring usually 182-185. Hopkins is already entering the ring at 166-168 pounds, hence the heavier task lies upon roy jones. Also I agree that Jones is the bigger name, he has the bargaining chip of holding a win over hopkins, but hopkins doesn't need this fight as much as roy.

Hopkins has cemented his legend by now holding the title defense record with 15, breaking the late great Carlos Monzons record of 14. Plus Hopkins win over Trinidad came late in his career and is fresh in peoples minds. Jones hasn't had a mega-fight in ages, But I agree 60/40 split cause 40% of a Jones Jr. superfight is gonna be 5 times the 50% Hopkins gets anywhere else.

Edited By GonzoStyle on Feb. 09 2002 at 10:57

- Sean Cold - 02-09-2002

The quote of the night from last Saturday:

"60/40 and I tear that ass up! 60/40 gets your ass kicked!"
-Roy Jones Jr. to Hopkins before his title defense

- Keyser Soze - 02-09-2002

I caught Hopkins on CN8 here during some celebrity basketball game. Hopkins was in the crowd where one of the reporters talked to him for more than 10 minutes. Hopkins was talking about how Roy Jones is not being a man, that the fact that they were once friends and came up in the ranks together and how Roy says one thing to Hopkin's face but another behind his back. He also said that if he accepted 60/40 he would be the biggest laughingstock in boxing.

Edited By Keyser Soze on Feb. 09 2002 at 6:13

- GonzoStyle - 02-10-2002

Keyser Soze Wrote:He also said that if he accepted 60/40 he would be the biggest laughingstock in boxing.
Yeah cause he's be fighting The greatest fighter in the world for probably 5 million or more. Yeah I agree Bernard stick to 1.2 million dollar pay days against mandatories cause you'll gain respect.

- Gooch - 02-10-2002

The true champ that knows he will win takes the less money, then cleans up afterwoard. Hopkin's knows he will lose. It's fuckin obvious.

- Cluster F - 02-11-2002

I like Hopkins, and give him props for defending his title like a true champion all those times in a row, but if he fights Jones, Jones will crush him in 3 rounds, maybe 4. Jones is just too damn good for him, and for pretty much anyone.