CDIH
Book club: second try? - Is it worth it? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Book club: second try? - Is it worth it? (/showthread.php?tid=3478)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Arthur Dent - 09-10-2002

I'm willing to give the book club idea a second try. Is anybody interested in giving this another shot?

Just want to know who is interested. If there's enough of a response, we can nominate books, vote on which one to read, and then read and discuss the book chosen.

- crx girl - 09-10-2002

i was interested... i started reading on the road and everything

- Ken'sPen - 09-10-2002

Arpi told me the ending of on the road...
it is....

hahahahahah deal with it.

Edited By Ken'sPen on Sep. 10 2002 at 12:50

- Gooch - 09-10-2002

yeah...i'm up for it.

I didn't get around to any of the books nominated last time. :disappointed:

- GonzoStyle - 09-10-2002

I wanted to read on the road but kinda gave up on it after arpi went and defiled the thread.

But I'm up for it again.

- kindred - 09-10-2002

I'm up for it. I didn't even know a book was chosen the last time. I guess I need to read every Damn post...

OK, I'd say we've already got enough interest to be worth trying. But anyone else who wants to join is welcome.

So, let's start with nominating a book. We'll make Friday the last day to nominate a book. Put your nomination in BOLD so I can find it easily to put together a list later.

And anyone else who wants to try this, sign in here.

- AdolescentMasturbator - 09-10-2002

The Republic by Plato

- Gooch - 09-11-2002

Skinny Legs & All : Tom Robbins

An Arab and a Jew open a restaurant together across the street from the United Nations....
It sounds like the beginning of an ethnic joke, but it's the axis around which spins this gutsy, fun-loving, and alarmingly provocative novel, in which a bean can philosophizes, a dessert spoon mystifies, a young waitress takes on the New York art world, and a rowdy redneck welder discovers the lost god of Palestine--while the illusions that obscure humanity's view of the true universe fall away, one by one, like Salome's veils.

Steel Beach : John Varley

Two centuries after aliens invade and occupy Earth, the self-contained colony of Juna is run by the omnipresent Central Computer; its inhabitants enjoy a worry-free, want-free environment of perfect health and longevity. Hildy Johnson is a top reporter for a leading tabloid newspaper; what he doesn't know is why he keeps trying to kill himself. The Central Computer prepares a series of artificial memories designed to explore Hildy's problem; but gradually Hildy learns that the Central Computer itself has suicidal impulses...and there begins a satircal romp thru the future

Tigana : Guy Gavriel Kay

Drawing on the most powerful mythic archetypes, this master epic of magic, politics, war--and the power of love and hate--is a rich, beautifully written, multidimensional work. The few surviving inhabitants of the destroyed land of Tigana bond together in a secret battle to release their homeland's curse and gain their freedom.

Mother Night : Kurt Vonnegut

"My name is Howard W. Campbell, Jr. I am an American by birth, a Nazi by reputation, and a nationless person by inclination" are the opening words to Kurt Vonnegut's tale of an American playwright living in Germany who, once World War II begins, becomes a Nazi radio propagandist. He becomes infamous for his disgustingly brutal radio shows which distributed wicked Nazi propaganda. He was thoroughly hated by the Americans, and loved by the Nazis. But there is one thing that you should know about Howard W. Campbell. He is an American spy.

- diceisgod - 09-11-2002

Books...pfft.

- GonzoStyle - 09-11-2002

On the Road kerouac

Crime & Punishment Dostoyevsky

Mother Night Vonnegut

- Spitfire - 09-11-2002

Skinny Legs & All : Tom Robbins

I'll second that nomination. I think everyone should read this book!

- Arthur Dent - 09-11-2002

Maybe I should have said to nominate 1 book only to keep things simple.

And yeah, the tom robbins book sounds really interesting.

- Arpikarhu - 09-11-2002

i cant wait for you guys to decide on a book!! :burnfucker:

- Gooch - 09-11-2002

perhaps we can assign your Keyser's Shame thread...quite a read. The ending, of course, is great too...you don't show.

:toast:

- Arpikarhu - 09-11-2002

Quote:perhaps we can assign your Keyser's Shame thread...quite a read. The ending, of course, is great too...you don't show
you can do better than that

- Gooch - 09-11-2002

<marquee>-.-- --- ..- .- .-. . .- .-.. .-.. .- -... ..- -. -.-. .... --- ..-. ..-. ..- -.-. -.- .. -. --. -- --- .-. --- -. ... </marquee>

- Arpikarhu - 09-11-2002

now thats just plagarism!!

- GonzoStyle - 09-11-2002

Quote:i cant wait for you guys to decide on a book!!

Did I mention arpi will be in the cell during the voting process?