CDIH
Digital camera's and videocameras - Help me choose - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Digital camera's and videocameras - Help me choose (/showthread.php?tid=3484)

Pages: 1 2

- Keyser Soze - 09-10-2002

I just bought a new digital camera

Fujifilm Finepix 2800 Zoom

I like it, its a little bulkier than the average digicam but it takes really sharp and color rich pics and has a 6x optical zoom. It even takes video and doubles as a webcam. I was wondering if anyone knows of a better one in the $450 price range or less, since I have about 10 days left before I can return it.

I'm also in the market for a digital videocamera. I've borrowed a Sony digital videocamera quite a bit from an ex who i've been trying to distance myself from so now i'm gonna need my own. I really like the Sony but i'd like to find out what the rest of you have found to be a good digital videocamera in the $1000 range.

I've got a Mavica FD-91 to sell now that i'm getting a new camera if anyones interested in buying mine, AIM me.

Edited By Keyser Soze on Sep. 10 2002 at 4:16

- Arthur Dent - 09-10-2002

I bought my parents the Sony a couple of years ago for their wedding anniversary. Excellent camera with x380 zoom, 2 nightvision settings, etc. Easy to connect to the TV or the computer with both RGB and S-Video connectors.

- Keyser Soze - 09-10-2002

I am quite familiar with the Sony digital videocameras. Do you know which model you purchased?

- Arthur Dent - 09-10-2002

The Digital 8 Handicam. They all have the same grey body with the IR bulb under the lens and the microphone above, the flip out screen on the left side, etc.

Other than the fact that it was the absolute newest model two years ago and what I mentioned above, no, I don't remember which model exactly.

I just went to cnet, and none of the new ones look like the one I got, but for about two years ALL their digital recorders looked exactly alike.

- AdolescentMasturbator - 09-10-2002

My parents just got an Olympus 550 Zoom and it's great. If you number concern is picture quality look at the various Olympus models.

- Hummercash - 09-11-2002

for video, always go with canon... i suggest getting the Optura 200mc which you can find for $1299 @ bhphotovideo.com (i buy all my stuff from here cuz they always have the best prices).

If i ever get a job and start to make some $$$, ill probably get that and a TiBook. mmmmmm..... firewire.

ive read that the fuji is a pretty good camera, but you can always get mine just to be safe... or get the s40, the one above mine Wink

i think that b&h are run out of NYC, so you can always stop by there and check out the stuff before you buy anything.

.//chris

- Sweet Angel - 09-11-2002

I have a lower end model Fuji FinePix A201. It suits my purposes for now...takes pretty decent pictures (also 20 second videos without sound, and has webconferencing capabilities, but I think I installed the software wrong because I can't get that part to work). It's 2.1 megapixels, plus I think 2x zoom.

At the time I bought it, I really wanted a digital camera, but only had about $200 to spend. It's fine for now, but once I get some cash, I'll probably buy something fancier. I bought it online from someplace in NY (looked on mysimon.com for prices) after checking out a bunch of reviews.

- Kid Afrika - 09-11-2002

I love my Sony DSC-P71...

[Image: DSC-P71.jpg]

Mostly because it was free. :thumbs-up:

Quote:Mostly because it was free.
that would be the ONLY way i would love a sony.

- Keyser Soze - 09-11-2002

whats wrong with sony?

i just don't like their cameras ;p

- Luna - 09-12-2002

Quote:The Digital 8 Handicam. They all have the same grey body with the IR bulb under the lens and the microphone above, the flip out screen on the left side, etc.

Other than the fact that it was the absolute newest model two years ago and what I mentioned above, no, I don't remember which model exactly.
I think I have the exact same video camera you have, Dent. The model # is DCR-TRV 8.
I like it. It's pretty easy to use for what I use it for. It also has the "Nightshot" feature.
I got mine about 2 years ago, too, when they just came out. If I remember correctly the cost was about $1200.

RE: Digital cameras - I really like my Sony Cybershot DSC-F505 (Sony Cybershot DSC-505). The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't have a viewfinder it only has an LCD display/viewer and it makes taking photographs at night very difficult. It takes great pictures and it's really easy to use under normal lighting conditions, tho. There are some changes to the newer model. It does have a viewfinder.

I also have a Nikon CoolPix 5000. I bit off a little more than I could chew with that one. Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice camera, but, it has taken some time to learn how to use it. It's not just a point and shoot camera.

Edited By LunaBabe on Sep. 11 2002 at 9:16

- FollowThisLogic - 09-12-2002

Quote:RE: Digital cameras - I really like my Sony Cybershot DSC-F505 (Sony Cybershot DSC-505). The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't have a viewfinder it only has an LCD display/viewer and it makes taking photographs at night very difficult. It takes great pictures and it's really easy to use under normal lighting conditions, tho. There are some changes to the newer model. It does have a viewfinder.

That's what I have, the F707. 5 megapixels, LCD plus LCD viewfinder (as opposed to a regular viewfinder - you can see the digital zoom with this), 5x optical/10x digital zoom, fast auto-focus, infrared night shot... sweet fuckin camera.

Not within the $450 price range originally said, though.

- Hummercash - 09-12-2002

Quote:Not within the $450 price range originally said, though.
wrong. certain amex cards have BVG which means they will price match just about every website, even the crappy scam sites that have the items for 75+% off... i know people who got this camera for around $400. Smile

.//chris

- AdolescentMasturbator - 09-12-2002

I hate Sony for the fact that they try to force their propietary standards down your throat.

- Keyser Soze - 09-12-2002

i officially hate this camera now.

theres no real manual focus on it and the auto focus sucks when trying to shoot something bright in the distance at night. i was trying to take a shot of the empire state building lit up from the terrace tonight and it would not focus.

i'm seriously thinking of returning it and getting the one FTL mentioned somewhere Chris can lead me to get it for $400 ;-)

- Luna - 09-12-2002

Quote:That's what I have, the F707. 5 megapixels, LCD plus LCD viewfinder (as opposed to a regular viewfinder - you can see the digital zoom with this), 5x optical/10x digital zoom, fast auto-focus, infrared night shot... sweet fuckin camera.
Yeah, that is a really nice camera. I think I should have gotten that one instead of the Nikon.

- Keyser Soze - 09-12-2002

I went back to The Wiz and they showed me what I was doing wrong. It turns out the camera does not focus until you hold down the shutter button. Supposedly, this saves battery power.

Since I like just about everything else about the camera before, I think i'm gonna keep it now.

- FollowThisLogic - 09-13-2002

My camera does both, it auto-focuses while you're looking around, and will do sort of a speed-focus when you hold the shutter halfway down. Also, in dark, close shots (within 20 feet or so) it will emit a weird laser cross-hatch pattern, a "hologram" focusing method, they call it. The auto is pretty perfect every time.

But, if you don't want it, it's also got a manual focus ring.

I think that if you can get it at that price, it would be insane to pass it up, even if you do like your camera again.

Or wait and see if you can get the new F717 (new version of the same basic thing) at that price.

- Keyser Soze - 09-13-2002

hook me up with a way to get that thing for $400 and i might consider it