CDIH
Have you ever voted........ - And felt good about it? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Have you ever voted........ - And felt good about it? (/showthread.php?tid=3509)

Pages: 1 2

- Ken'sPen - 09-12-2002

I was thinking that in my entire voting lifetime,
I have been pretty much pulling the lever for the lesser of two evils,
OR just voting along party line....

and it makes me feel cheated.

The only time I came close to voting for someone I felt GOOD about was Gary Hart, before the Monkey Business, or McCain.
I think I would have been pleased to be able to vote for them. They are also two people I think I would have done volunteer work for.

But overall I feel real cheated when I look back at Kennedy, FDR or other greats in the modern era.... when my choices have flat out sucked.

- Danked - 09-12-2002

I have never voted. Thus then, there is nothing for me to comment about in this thread.

- Spitfire - 09-12-2002

If you're voting for the "lesser of two evils," you're still voting for an evil.

I felt really good about voting for Nader. It may not have made a huge impact but at least I was voting for change, against the status quo. And I agreed with him on many of the issues. He's having a "super-rally" on Saturday October 5 in Trenton. I'm definitely going to check it out, his book Crashing the Party was amazing

- Maynard - 09-12-2002

I too felt really good about voting for Nader. Although....looking back on it now, I'm glad he didn't win. I don't think he would have done so well with military conflict. I DO think he would have solved alot of other problems in the country though.

- Ken'sPen - 09-12-2002

I dunno...
the two party system has me by the balls.
I like a lot of what Nader stands for, but I thought a vote for him was in effect a vote for Dubya.
And I really did not want him to win.

I think it is tough for a third party. Most of them seem to be personality cults than viable parties with clearly defined platforms.
so I am leery about them getting in and not having an effective tenure because both the Dems and the Reps are dragging their feet.

- virgingrrl - 09-12-2002

i too, felt good about voting for nader. some may find this stupid, but i found out A LOT about him from being an ani fan. she was a HUGE supporter of nader, she even played at his rally at msg along with eddie vedder and such. she exposed me to what he was all about, which made me read up on him and his views and i like what he was all about.

- Maynard - 09-12-2002

While I knew that Nader was not going to win, I just wanted him to get the percentage to have the Green Party on the debates the next time around. Still didn't get it though. Undecided

- Ken'sPen - 09-12-2002

Watching Hart at the debates is why I became a supporter of his,
He answered the questions that were asked,
(very rare)
and I liked most of his answers.

- Gooch - 09-12-2002

i liked voting for the Mod Survivor game.

- Ken'sPen - 09-12-2002

Gooch is picking up Arpi's slack???

- Gooch - 09-12-2002

I hate Drew Henson. I hope he tanks.

- Arpikarhu - 09-12-2002

[Image: drewhenson032201.jpg] :loveya: :loveya: :loveya: :loveya:

- IrishAlkey - 09-12-2002

McCain 4 LIFE!

- Spitfire - 09-12-2002

The Democrats and Republicans are the SAME! They are both run by the corporations and special interests who give billions to their campaigns. That's why you have to vote for change....send a message.

I find it quite sad and scary when a third party candidate gets arrested for trying to enter a public televised debate, like what just recently happened to Senate candidate Glick in NJ.

Why are they trying to keep a Third Party out? All candidates were allowed into the debates in the old system where the League of Women Voter's handled them. Now the presidential debates are sponsored by the likes of Anheiser-Busch (I shit you not)

- IrishAlkey - 09-12-2002

A vote for Bush is a vote for Bud?

- Ken'sPen - 09-12-2002

That is what I meant about having me by the balls Spit.

A vote for change is meaningless because the Dems and the Reps know they have the power locked up tight.

a third party can't happen, because the two parties have made laws and restrictions to prevent it from being a plausible possibility,
both parties know that there will always be roughly a 50 - 50 split in power between them, and they work on keeping it that way.

- Danked - 09-12-2002

Woohoo! Vote Marijuana Reform Party, or Legal Marijuana Party, or the Green Panther Party, or the Pot Party.. jeez. You would figure these guys should get together for one party and NOT split their votes. And I like Nader. :fuggin:

*Edit* Damn I guess I'm Danked today. Rolleyes

Edited By Danked on Sep. 12 2002 at 1:06

- Weird NJ - 09-12-2002

[Image: iamwithstupid.gif]

- Arthur Dent - 09-12-2002

I have never actually voted, but the guy I would have voted for if i did has always won. Gore won NY, which is all I could have effected.

It is a lesser of two evils, but a 3rd party will never have a major effect until it is founded by at least one very powerful, influential and charismatic politician. Right now, all a 3rd party does is take votes away from the democratic candidate. Most are only one issue parties who know they won't win are just trying to get their topic into a debate.

Perot came the closest, and that's only because he had all the personal funding of a major party. he shot himself in the foot with a half-deaf VP candidate and all the conspiracy talk.

I wish there was an idealistic 3rd party worth voting for. But Nader just doesn't have the backing to pull it off.

- Spitfire - 09-12-2002

If the only way the Democrats can compete is by eliminating all other possible options then they just don't deserve to win. Anymore, it's not really such a loss to have a Republican in than a Democrat, just look at all the harm Clinton did while he was in office. The Democratic Party has lost its ideals and if they lose some seats maybe they'll wake the fuck up.