CDIH
Dell owners watch out - What tech support didn't tell me - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Dell owners watch out - What tech support didn't tell me (/showthread.php?tid=3527)

- SYNTuesday - 09-14-2002

Apparantly Dell likes proprietary hardware a lot, so IF YOU NEED TO REPLACE YOUR POWER SUPPLY... make sure it's Dell branded. If you hook up a Dell motherboard and non-Dell power supply, or vice versa, as soon as you turn on the power, IT WILL FRY BOTH OF THEM.

Thanks for telling me, Mr. Tech Support Guy. "Ya, you should go ahead and replace the power supply" "Thanks" "No problem, have a nice day" :disappointed:

- Kid Afrika - 09-14-2002

YUO = MORON

- AdolescentMasturbator - 09-15-2002

That's what you get for using a dell motherboard.

- PatCooper - 09-15-2002

Good thing i didn't buy a Dell. :thumbs-up:

- PollyannaFlower46 - 09-15-2002

Quote:Good thing i didn't buy a Dell.

Eeek mine is coming on Tuesday!

- PatCooper - 09-15-2002

Quote:Eeek mine is coming on Tuesday!

This is what your gonna wanna do to your tech support> [Image: spanka.gif]

- PollyannaFlower46 - 09-15-2002

Naw, my idiot parents paid extra to have them come to the house when we break the computer.

- Arthur Dent - 09-15-2002

Just got mine. everything's working fine for me.

- PatCooper - 09-15-2002

Give it a few months and this will be you

[Image: dragdrop.jpg]

- Tenbatsuzen - 09-16-2002

Um, my family has had Dells since the mid 90's, with five systems... not a major problem with one, knock wood.

- Kid Afrika - 09-16-2002

Dell computers work just fine. Unless you try to modify them extensively. I have 2 Dell machines that are each about 5 years old, and they work like they were new.

By the by, out of about 6 Dell machines I've never seen a *edit - bad power supply.

Edited By Kid Afrika on Sep. 16 2002 at 7:59

- AdolescentMasturbator - 09-16-2002

I still have an old dell pentium 133 thats more than 6 years old that works fine.

- FollowThisLogic - 09-16-2002

You sure that was it?

We use Dells here at work. I just opened mine. Looks fairly standard..

- Maynard - 09-16-2002

We pretty much use Dell exclusively here at work. And in the over 1000 machines we bought, I've seen bad power supplys on maybe a half dozen machines new out of the box. Most of them were on servers though.

- Goatweed - 09-16-2002

I've had my Dell for almost 4 years now, and I've added 2 HD's to it, upgraded the PII 400 CPU to a PIII 1Gig, etc. and it's been running fine. The motherboard did go out on me once, but it wasn't because of a power supply - it just went. I was still under warranty, so Dell sent me another one. Maybe I've been lucky, but Dell Techies have really come through for me whenever I had to contact them.

- JerseyThunder - 09-16-2002

The only problem I've ever had with mine is the original hard drive went on it and when the guy cam out I got a brand new one with 10 more gigs. :thumbs-up: