CDIH
93 yards from history - Milestones we've watched - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: 93 yards from history - Milestones we've watched (/showthread.php?tid=3976)

Pages: 1 2

- slackjaw - 10-26-2002

Emmit Smith sits 93 yards from breaking the NFL's all time rushing mark, one of the most prestigious records in the NFL, probably the equivalent to Hank Arron's all time home run mark. You could argue that some of the quarterback records are as big, but since QB's have so many categories (passing yards, wins, completions, QB rating, TD passes, etc..) they generally get compared to pitching records in baseball. Love him or hate him, he is a "legendary" player, and true sports fans recognize greatness even in players they don't want to root for. I for one hate the Celtics with a passion, but will readily admit that Larry Bird, whom I spent many a night cursing as he sank jumper after jumper, was a truly special player.

For many of us this will be the second time we see this record fall, and a couple of you (OAS for one) will actually have seen hit broken for a third time. We as a sports generation are lucky enough to have seen some of the great players and great achievements in sports history. While setting a record does not automatically make a player the best ever at his position, as would be the case with Smith, (sure one of the best ever, but I can't see declaring him the greatest ever when Payton, Brown, and Sanders all have solid footing in that debate) it does ensure his place in history and bar room debates for years to come.

What are some of the other Great Achievements we have witnessed, legends we've watched, and players whose greatness is unquestioned even if they never held one of those "great" records?

- onehung - 10-26-2002

3 things.
1. Where did you copy that from ? Wink
2. If Barry Sanders would've been paid, he would have destroyed all rushing marks.
3. Bobby Orr. No explanation needed for what he did for the game of hockey.

- Sweet Angel - 10-26-2002

Who?

- x-file - 10-26-2002

Theres the obvious. Maguire shattering Maris HR record. Bonds breaking it wasn't magical. It was amazing to think that somebody would be beat Maguires record, but not the same.
Another one was Cal Ripken breaking Gehrigs streak, not worthy of #1 baseball greatest moment of all time, but an achievement.
Ricky henderson settinig the all time stolen base record.
Wayne Gretzsky scoring that goal for the kings to become the all time scoring leader in the NHL.

Edited By x-file on 1035640800

- Keyser Soze - 10-26-2002

Wait, did i miss something? A guy named "Maguire" had the home run record??? Wow, that Mark McGwire has really got to be pissed now.

- diceisgod - 10-26-2002

Oh I hope Emmitt breaks it alright. Both of them.

- GonzoStyle - 10-26-2002

Quote:Maguire shattering Maris HR record. Bonds breaking it wasn't magical.

McGwire was a fuckin douchebag, the reason it was so magical was cause Sosa was a part of it. McGwire didn't give a fuck about the game, sosa's personality helped that race a lot. McGwire doesn't even hold a candle to the sickness that is Barry Bonds, the man defies all belief and probability. People call him an Asshole but one thing the guy is, is a professional he loves the game and wants to win. I was glad Bonds broke the record, to break the walk record and home run record in the same year is fuckin sick.

I personally disliked Ripkin a lot and really didn't want to see him break Gehrigs record.

- Galt - 10-26-2002

I hope when Smith breaks the record, He thanks Barry Sanders, because Sanders would be close to about 20,000 by now.

Sanders > Payton.

- GonzoStyle - 10-26-2002

As far as endzone dances, there is only one Sanders...

SHOWTIME!!!!!

- PatCooper - 10-26-2002

Quote:A guy named "Maguire" had the home run record???

Yeah his first name is Jerry right?
Hated Ripkin for breaking Gehrigs record.
Jordan's buzzer beater in the 89' finals against the Cavs.

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 10-27-2002

Quote:Jordan's buzzer beater in the 89' finals against the Cavs.
Jordan in general...he was the only thing keeping the championship away from the West for years....

- Teenweek - 10-27-2002

Quote:As far as endzone dances, there is only one Sanders...

Nothing beat the Ickey shuffle.

[Image: t1_woods_all.jpg]

- GonzoStyle - 10-27-2002

PRIME TIME!!!!

[Image: deion6b.jpg]

- Galt - 10-27-2002

<div align="center"> [Image: dance.jpg]</div>

- Keyser Soze - 10-27-2002

<div align="center">[Image: owens.jpg]</div>

Edited By Keyser Soze on 1035762489

- x-file - 10-28-2002

Quote:As far as endzone dances, there is only one Sanders...

What about the Dirty Bird?

Quote:one thing the guy is, is a professional he loves the game and wants to win.

Bonds is the worst person to use as an example. The guy is probably one of the best baseball players to ever play. What he has accomplished is amazing. But professional, not at all. There are great players in baseball or any sport that now that there great but go out and show how good they are by there play and thats all. Bonds is too cocky. He knows he's good and he thinks he's above everybody else. Thats what makes him an Asshole.

- GonzoStyle - 10-28-2002

Fine then, Sosa is the best.

I was more in awe watching bonds hit 600 than Mac hit 62.

Ryan get his 5,000th strike out was also an amazing feat to witness.

Holyfield TKO on Tyson was one of the most exhilirating moments I was ever witness to.

- Teenweek - 10-28-2002

Quote:Holyfield TKO on Tyson was one of the most exhilirating moments I was ever witness to.
Buster Douglas was bigger. I don't even think there were odds for this fight. That is how much of a mismatch it was supposed to be. Mike Tyson was on top of the world before that fight and was being compared to the immortals of boxing.

- GonzoStyle - 10-28-2002

The odds on the Douglas fight was 42-1. That was a great fight don't get me wrong but not a "great" fight. It was more of the begining of the end, it was one of the most poignant moments I ever witnessed though. Tyson on all fours looking for his mouth piece, one of the saddest sights I ever saw.

The Holyfield fight was much different though. It'd be like picking Ali Vs. Spinks I over Ali Vs. Frazier I.

- Teenweek - 10-28-2002

Best fight I ever saw was a 3 round fight between Tommy Hearns and Marvin Hagler. They fucking annihilated each other for 3 straight rounds. I think more punches were landed in this fight than Lennox Lewis ever did.