CDIH
I have lost faith in the justice system. - Is common sense outlawed? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: The Smoke Room (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Faggy Artistic Forum (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: I have lost faith in the justice system. - Is common sense outlawed? (/showthread.php?tid=4175)

Pages: 1 2

- Ronin - 11-13-2002

I have totally lost faith in the justice system. Here is the story:
I was at PC Richards on Rt 17 South in NJ at night. I was backing out of a spot and hit a car. The parking lot is designed so that on one side, all the parked cars are parallel to each other. Then across from the cars is the store with a firelane in front of the store. The other guy's car was parked illegally in that fire zone, with no lights on (headlights or hazards) at night, underneath no lights on the PC Richards building, AND with his 3 year old kid in the car alone. The guy was buying something in the store while while he left his car there. The police came and gave him a summons for illegally parking.

My insurance company is now telling me that I am going to be more than 50% liable for this. I can't believe how common sense has been lost in this country! The guy has 3 major things against him and I am mostly at fault! The guy was ILLEGALLY parked, along with other evidence. If he wasn't illegally parked, THEN IT WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED! Granted if any of those three wasn't evident, i would be at 100% fault. But if his dark colored car has no lights on, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SEE HIM?!? It makes the car virtually unseeable.

My insurance company also isn't taking my side. I thought that's what I pay them for; to fight for my side in a claim, no matter what happened. I pay thousands of dollars to tell them I am wrong???? WHAT THE Hell AM I PAYING YOU FOR??

I live in a country where a thief can sue the owner of the house he is breaking into, because he cut him self on a sharp knife in the house.
I live in a country where a person sues McDonald's because she spilled hot coffee on herself, claiming the coffee was TOO hot.
I live in a country where a person can sue a toaster manufacturer because she was toasting a poptart while she was out shopping and the house caught on fire!
I live in a country where I can park in a dark colored car illegally in a fire zone, with no lights on, underneath no lights, and leave my 3 year old kid in the car while I go buy a TV, and have some one else pay for my damages if someone hits me.

I have lost faith in the justice system.

- PollyannaFlower46 - 11-13-2002

Sorry about the insurance company giving you the shaft, but its the insurance company not the justice system that's fucking you up the ass.

- Ronin - 11-13-2002

But the insurance company follows the laws of the state. That's why my faith dies with the justice system.

The insurance companies also have their own rules that govern what you're responsible for....trust me...my friend was in an accident that was deemed not her fault by the police and her insurance charged her as well. Its a business...if the justice system was that fucked, the other guy wouldn't have gotten a ticket...but he should've also been charged with reckless endangerment of a minor.

- HedCold - 11-13-2002

how fast were you backing up?

- Ronin - 11-13-2002

NO KIDDING!! The cop didn't do anything about that. I told him but nothing. I know in CT the father would have been arrested and charged. But nope, not in NJ.
I have nothing against the cops or anything, just the justice system that runs the cops. That's what's so bad.
The insurance company told me that if it was up to them, the guy would be paying for most of it. But since it was a backing up accident, and by law i am the one at fault, I have to pay out of my pocket.

Quote:how fast were you backing up?
like 5 mph tops. The damage to his 88 Toyota Celica was his side mirror and a small scratch on his door. My plastic shield over the blinker light was cracked on my car, but the light inside still worked.

Edited By Ronin on 1037207537

How much is your deductible? Find a body shop that will work with you.

- Ronin - 11-13-2002

My deductible is $500. I dunno how much his damage is. How much does something like a cracked side mirror run for on an 88 Celica???

My damage will cost me $88, pending more since there might be damage behind the light or bumper. I probably won't have it fixed since it is very minor.

- HedCold - 11-13-2002

how'd you break his side mirror going 5 mph? did you hit it and not realize and kept going back? :clueless:

- Ronin - 11-13-2002

Well, I didn't see him because he had no lights on and I wasn't expecting someone to be parking in the fire lane. I did glance back to see and didn't see anything because it was dark. But who would have thought of parking there and leaving a car there.
So I didn't break when i was backing up obviously. Maybe I was going 8 mph.. I did break after backing into him though.

- Bloody Anus - 11-13-2002

Quote:how fast were you backing up?
Quote:like 5 mph tops ...

Maybe I was going 8 mph..

Your insurance company isn't going to help you out if you keep lying to them.. are you sure you were at PC Richards? Or was it really Arby's? There wasn't really a fire lane there at all, was there?

You're not wearing an eye patch, are you?

- Teenweek - 11-13-2002

Face it the guy is an Asshole for leaving his car there and his kid.

It seems you were not paying attention and did not look behind you when backing up. This story has more twists and turns than a corkscrew.

- Brokenjaw - 11-13-2002

Quote:You're not wearing an eye patch, are you?

What the fuck does that suppopsed to mean?

- Teenweek - 11-13-2002

the intern on o&a who got fired for lying about being hurt was wearing an eye patch for an eye that was 100% fine

- Rookie - 11-13-2002

Quote:What the fuck does that suppopsed to mean?
:lol:

- Ronin - 11-13-2002

I was paying attention. I couldn't see the car behind me. It's like trying to find something at night with no lights on. It's impossible.

- Teenweek - 11-13-2002

do you have taillights? wouldn't the red light from the taillight show the car behind you. Another question, I am assuming that car was already there when you got back in your car. Why did you not notice in it when you got back in your car. Don't these big stores have lights in their parking lots.

- PlasticMan - 11-13-2002

Well, your car has reverse lights, which should have illuminated the area behind you well enough to see the other car. The guy shouldn't have been parked there, but I tend to agree with your insurance company, it's your fault that you backed into his car.

- Ronin - 11-13-2002

My tail lights were working. But how much would they allumniated a dark colored car from 15 feet away? Not a whole lot.

There are no light on the side of PC Richards..

I did not notice the car when coming out because I don't look around the lot and make sure everyone parked in the correct parking spaces. I was hoping that other people would be as responsible as I am and park in LEGAL parking spaces.

Check out the article that came out today in Yahoo.

- Teenweek - 11-13-2002

If you were 15 feet away, you had plenty of time and space to stop, and your reverse lights will show that there was a car.

I think, I am just guessing here. You were probably in a rush, not paying attention to what was around you. You may have done a quick glance backwards when you pulled out, but I bet you were going more like 15-20 than 5-8 if he was 15 feet behind you and you broke his mirror.

We are not busting your balls and we ar enot saying you are totally at fault because regardless the guy who parked there was illegal. It has absolutely nothing to do with the justice system.