CDIH
Oscar - Care? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Oscar - Care? (/showthread.php?tid=421)

- Keyser Soze - 02-12-2002

Ok, you may or may not give a rats ass about the Oscars but its fun to see who they nominated. Here's this years nominees for the major awards. Pick your winners. I added a * next to my picks.

BEST PICTURE
A BEAUTIFUL MIND
GOSFORD PARK
IN THE BEDROOM
*THE LORD OF THE RINGS
MOULIN ROUGE

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Russell Crowe - A Beautiful Mind
Sean Penn - I Am Sam
*Will Smith - Ali
Denzel Washington - Training Day
Tom Wilkinson - In The Bedroom

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Jim Broadbent - IRIS
Ethan Hawke - Training Day
*Ben Kingsley - Sexy Beast
Ian McKellen - The Lord of The Rings
Jon Voight - Ali

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
*Halle Berry - Monster's Ball
Judi Dench - IRIS
Nicole Kidman - Moulin Rouge
Sissy Spacek - In The Bedroom
Renée Zellweger - Bridget Jones' Diary

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Jennifer Connelly - A Beautiful Mind
Helen Mirren - Gosford Park
Maggie Smith - Gosford Park
*Marisa Tomei - In The Bedroom
Kate Winslet - IRIS

DIRECTING
A BEAUTIFUL MIND - Ron Howard
BLACK HAWK DOWN - Ridley Scott
GOSFORD PARK - Robert Altman
*THE LORD OF THE RINGS - Peter Jackson
MULHOLLAND DRIVE - David Lynch

CINEMATOGRAPHY
AMÉLIE - Bruno Delbonnel
BLACK HAWK DOWN - Slawomir Idziak
*THE LORD OF THE RINGS: - Andrew Lesnie
THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE - Roger Deakins
MOULIN ROUGE - Donald M. McAlpine

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
JIMMY NEUTRON: BOY GENIUS
*MONSTERS, INC.
SHREK

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
A BEAUTIFUL MIND
GHOST WORLD
IN THE BEDROOM
*THE LORD OF THE RINGS
SHREK

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
AMÉLIE
GOSFORD PARK
*MEMENTO
MONSTER'S BALL
THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS

Edited By Keyser Soze on Feb. 12 2002 at 3:44

- Spitfire - 02-12-2002

:pissed: :pissed: What a load of horseshit!!! :angry: :angry:
How could Memento be only nominated for one award! The best pic noms blow...Stupid fucking Academy!

Best Pic - LOTR
Actor - Will Smith
Actress - Sissy Spacek (don't care though)
Supporting Actor - Ian McKellen
Supporting Actress- don't care (maybe give it to Jennifer Connelly just because she rules)
Director - David Lynch
Animated - Shrek
Adapted screenplay - Ghost World (I really want to see this, isn't it out on video now?)
Original Screenplay - Memento

Edited By Spitfire on Feb. 12 2002 at 2:47

- Keyser Soze - 02-12-2002

Feel free to throw in your write in votes if you don't like the Oscar's nominees.

Personally I would have chosen Memento for Best Picture, or at least nominated it.

I'm interested in checking out Training Day now, since it doesnt appear to be the type of flick they usually choose and I happen to dig Denzel and Ethan Hawke.

- IkeaBoy - 02-12-2002

I thought I posted the nominations here when I posted on the other sites...anyhoo

BEST PICTURE- Have to pick LotR. Haven't seen mind. HATED Park, didn't see bedroom or rogue though there were better films to pick like Tenenbaums
ACTOR- I don't see Gene Hackman who won the Golden Globe. Where's Hackman? WHERE'S ROYAL?! Unimpressed with all those people, I can expect a Crowe win. I Am Sam didn't even get good reviews as all the reviews called it Oscar bait for Penn.

SUPPORING ACTOR- I haven't seen Sexy Beast yet but heard it was great. From what I have seen McKellan because he's just a genuinely cool actor who deserves it. Also deserving but not nominated- STEVE BUSCEMI FROM GHOST WORLD (though I'm not sure if that's lead)

ACTRESS- Didn't see any but Nicole Kidman because she's one of the hottest women ever, one of my first 'hottest women ever' and she deserved it for TDF.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS- Jennifer Connelly because she's really hot.

DIRECTING- MULHOLLAND DRIVE is my favorite movie of the year, i'm a lynch fan, it deserved more.

CINEMATOGRAPHY- THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE wonderfully filmed, wonderful film and it deserved more.

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM- lame nominees in a year of so many animated features.

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)- GHOST WORLD (yes it's out on video. it's a brilliant film, SEE IT!!).

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)- I'm debating between MEMENTO and TENENBAUMS and probably going to choose Tenenbaums over Memento but it's a moot point since Gosford Park will win to show that the acadamy can understand britishness and sophistication

- Hybrid - 02-12-2002

well, since training day and shrek are the only movies ive seen out of all of them, i vote denzel best actor, ethan hawke best supporting and shrek best animated movie.

- GonzoStyle - 02-13-2002

Well with the AMPAAS it's never who should win but who does win. How Gene Hackman and the Royal Tenenbaums got overlooked totally is beyond me and Memento totally got fuckin snubbed. I am blown away they chose Denzel Washington who is one of the finest actors of our generation or any for that matter. But there's a difference between who deserves the Oscar and who will win the Oscar but here's my choices.

BEST PICTURE

-A Beautiful Mind

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Quote:(I want Will Smith to win because I just watched a bootleg of Ali, Though the movie left much to be desired. Will Smith was Ali, he was not Will Smith he totally blew my mind with his performance. But in My feelings I believe Russell Crowe is the new Tom Hanks and he's gonna pull a back to back. Plus face facts there has been only one black man to win an Oscar for a male lead role and that was Sidney Poitier for 'Lillies In The field' in the mid 60's.)

My pick - Russel Crowe
Who Should win - Will Smith

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Ian McKellen - The Lord of The Rings
(even though I despise him)

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Quote:Seeing there choices the last couple years I wouldn't be surprised if Nicole Kidman did actually win, if only just to piss off Tom Cruise after his countless snubs. Renee Zellweger desrves it but she probably won't get it. Halle Berry no way she gets it. My Choice is Judi Dench even though I have not seen IRIS.

Judi Dench - IRIS

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Jennifer Connelly - A Beautiful Mind

DIRECTING

A Beautiful Mind - Ron Howard

Quote:David Lynch deserves it but after all the years that he's been snubbed I think this year is gonna finally Pay off for Ron Howard. The movie is a huge hit and critically acclaimed and Russel Crowe will be to Ron Howard what Tom Hanks was to Robert Zemekis.

CINEMATOGRAPHY

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: - Andrew Lesnie

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Shrek

Quote:Even though Monsters was a bigger box office money maker. Shrek had more critical acclaim.

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)

A Beautiful Mind

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)

Memento

Quote:The token award just like Pulp Fiction in 1994.

Edited By GonzoStyle on Feb. 13 2002 at 1:30

- IkeaBoy - 02-13-2002

GonzoStyle Wrote:WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)

Memento

Quote:The token award just like Pulp Fiction in 1994.
the best film of the year often wins that award (e.g. Fargo, Fiction, in fact it was even Kane's only award) but it was a bit awkward a couple of years ago when American Beauty beat the far superior script of Being John Malkovich. I just researched what won best original screenplay last year and it was from one of the best films of the year -- Almost Famous.