CDIH
Internet On The Road - My Phone Card Dilemma - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Internet On The Road - My Phone Card Dilemma (/showthread.php?tid=4236)

- Keyser Soze - 11-20-2002

So I bought a phone card to get on the internet with my laptop from my hotel room but i cant seem to get it to work from my dial up connection. I have to hit 9 to get an outside line, then 1 for english, then i have to put in my pin, etc... etc..

i tried stringing all of it togething in a dialing script but i cant seem to get it to work.

anyone know of a easier way???

- Lord Magus - 11-20-2002

Stay home

but im stuck in philly until friday! help me out you bastards!!! :lookatme:

- Hybrid - 11-20-2002

:lol:

- HollywoodJewMoses - 11-20-2002

i was under the impression that you run the internet on your phone, and then it acts as a network

guess i was wrong Sad

- Jack - 11-20-2002

i have an ISP, i need to use an 800 number. even local numbers cost 75 cents per minute in the hotel. thats why i got a phone card cause it goes thru an 800 number. problem is stringing all the prompts, pin codes and my isp phone number together to dial into it via my laptop.

- Jack - 11-20-2002

75 Cents a minute local? What hotel are you staying at? Thats outrageous.

try putting in commas because they will act as a pause. like 9, 18005551212, 1111, 1234567890

You may need to add more comma's for more of a pause depending on how fast the phone card company is. Or, you can set it so that you dial by hand then hang up the handset when it is connected.

i'm staying at The Latham in downtown Philly.

how do i set it up to dial by hand and then hang up the headseat when its connected?

i've tried the whole thing with the comma's and it does seem to work, i never hear the voice prompts after i've thrown all that stuff in.

by the way, does anyone use MSN for an ISP. i was desperate and choose that to use. 3 months free anyways, i'll cancel when my trip is over.

Edited By Keyser Soze on 1037819682

- Hybrid - 11-20-2002

how are you online right now? :clueless:

im in class

- Hybrid - 11-20-2002

oh

- Danked - 11-20-2002

Some Hotels still charge to use 800 numbers. I don't remeber how much though. Maybe a dollar for every call.

- Jack - 11-20-2002

Try this:

Set your laptop to dial the number of the isp only ( (123) 456-7890 )
Pick up the hand set
dial the number to the calling card
input account/pin when asked
when it says input the number you wish to dial hit connect on your laptop, wait for it to begin to dial and hang up hand set.

- Weird NJ - 11-20-2002

Quote:when it says input the number you wish to dial hit connect on your laptop, wait for it to begin to dial and hang up hand set.
You might have to turn off the option to "wait for dial tone" on your dialup connection.

- FAST FREDDY - 11-20-2002

About a year ago, after many frustrating stays in hotels, I started confirming the hotels have cable service. Average cost is 4.95/day, 9.95 for a 3-5 day hookup.
Not all hotels have good service. In fact, Ive found that the major hotel chains seem to be well behind.
The breaking point came last year. I was staying at a Shereton and a phoneline cost me 1.50 Per minute (for their dialup access). After a 20 minute argument with the hotel manager, they comped it out.

Next time you make reservations, see if they have "STSN", or a comparable service. STSN is the best service Ive used when at a hotel. Just plug the cable in and youre on (AWESOME!).

*Many hotels (even major ones) will tell you they have "Data ports". Data port doesnt mean shit, it could be just another phone line input on the room phone.

:bow: Confusedmokey:

- HollywoodJewMoses - 11-20-2002

at the hotel i stayed at in boston last month, they had a ethernet connection

it cost 10 dollars per day, it was a ripoff but i still bought it because it was coo

- Kid Afrika - 11-20-2002

more commas = longer pause

Don't stay on for more than 30 min/per call though. They charge $0.75 for the first 30 min and then like $0.20 each minute after, even for local calls.

For dialing into my office, I had to use like 6 commas to get past the couple of rings and the intro before I could do the next step. Parentheses didn't work for shit when I tried them.

- Keyser Soze - 11-21-2002

i checked with the front desk, 800 numbers are free no matter how long you stay on.

and i found my solution....AT&T Worldnet offers 800 numbers for access, only 10 cents a min!