CDIH
Just when you think he's out... - They pull him back in. - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Just when you think he's out... - They pull him back in. (/showthread.php?tid=453)

- Keyser Soze - 02-14-2002

Jesus, can we get rid of this guy already. He's like cockroaches. I bet he had a stipulation in his contract that they have to have a poker table setup in the clubhouse between innings.

As if the Red Sox need another curse.

Quote:Rickey Henderson, Red Sox reach deal on minor league contract
By BEN WALKER
AP Baseball Writer
February 14, 2002

Rickey Henderson will get a chance to boost his record totals in runs, stolen bases and walks. And he can do it with a brand new team for him, the Boston Red Sox.

The Red Sox and the 43-year-old free agent reached agreement on a minor league contract Wednesday, providing him an opportunity to play his 24th season in the majors.

The deal, confirmed by agent Jeff Borris and Red Sox spokesman Kevin Shea, came a week before Boston's full squad reports to spring training in Fort Myers, Fla.

If Henderson makes the Red Sox -- it would be his eighth big league team -- he would back up Manny Ramirez in left field and be a part-time DH. If Henderson is not on the major league roster by March 28, he could become a free agent.

The Red Sox dramatically revamped their roster in the offseason following a late slide in 2001. They juggled their outfield by signing free agent Johnny Damon, trading away Carl Everett and letting loose Dante Bichette, Darren Lewis and Troy O'Leary.

As he did last year, Henderson remained a free agent throughout the winter. He signed with San Diego last March and wound up batting .227 with eight home runs and 42 RBIs with the Padres.

On his final swing of the season, he got the 3,000th hit of his career. He scored 70 runs, giving him a lifetime total of 2,248 to break Ty Cobb's mark, and stole 25 bases to extend his own record to 1,395.

Henderson's specialty is getting on base. His 81 walks last season gave him 2,141, moving him past Babe Ruth's mark.

Throughout his career, Henderson has been known as a flashy player. While he's been criticized for being selfish, his teammates -- including the Padres last season -- have often praised him for working with young players and helping them develop.

There was a chance Henderson would return to play for the Padres, although not until May. Playing for an AL team will give him a chance to play more as a designated hitter.

Henderson broke into the majors in 1979 with Oakland and spent his first six years with the Athletics. He later played for the New York Yankees, Toronto, Anaheim, the New York Mets and Seattle.

Henderson is a .280 hitter with 290 home runs and 1,094 RBIs in his 23-year career. He's a 10-time All-Star, last making the team in 1991, and holds the career record of 79 leadoff home runs.

He was the 1990 AL MVP and was part of the Athletics' team that beat Boston in the playoffs that season.

Henderson is a lifetime .291 hitter (102-for-350) at Fenway Park, with five home runs.

- Metalfan - 02-14-2002

Quote:Topic: Just when you think he's out..., They pull him back in.

damn, and here I thought you were talking about the dude who butt rapes you and your mom on a daily basis.....oops, my bad.

- Keyser Soze - 02-14-2002

I'm all for Keyser bashing but man, that was just completely weak.

- Lord Magus - 02-14-2002

Metal's been forcing the gay jokes today..
I think he's finally realized his latent homosexualirty and is mocking it in an effort to drive it out of himself.. a sort of self-excorcism, so to speak.

- Galt - 02-14-2002

There is not one single good move that the Sox have made this year.

The Damon signing is the only thing that could even possibly border on a good move. However, he is two things.
1. A turf hitter. His only good years were in KC, and last year in Oakland, despite an enormous park, he never got it going due to the field surface.
2. A slow starter. He hits .200 every April. Whether that's poor preparation, weather, I don't know. But Boston fans retardedly fickle. If you do well, they'll let you do anything, if you start slow, they will hate you. Johnny Damon is going to start getting booed mercilessly after his .200 April. The boos will continue, as will his shitty performance.

Yet another lost season for the Sox this year. (wait, didn't I predict them to make World Series?)