CDIH
Ugliest moments of 2002 - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Ugliest moments of 2002 (/showthread.php?tid=4587)

Pages: 1 2

- Arthur Dent - 12-31-2002

Quote:Ugliest moments of 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SportsNation

1. Terry Bradshaw and Paul McCartney
We're still wretching, almost a year after their "A Hard Day's Night" duet during halftime of the Super Bowl.

2. The Ligues attack in Chicago
Thanks for giving John Ashcroft and Co. another argument for iris scanning and other Big Brother security tactics, the infamous father and son duo attacked Royals first-base coach Tom Gamboa out of nowhere.

3. Rivalry weekend football riots
For one weekend, college football fans looked just a bit like soccer fans in England.

4. Figure skating scandal
Who would have thought that public opinion about figure skating and the American-bashing French could have gone further south? Thanks to a politically-oriented, stupid scoring system and a cheating, whining judge, that's exactly what happened during the Winter Olympics.

5. Nuggets score three points in first quarter
On Nov. 27, Denver managed just three first-quarter points in a 99-68 loss to the Spurs. They shot 1-for-16 from the floor, and also set a franchise low with only 22 first-half points. "I've never seen anything like it before, it wasn't pretty," said the Spurs' David Robinson. Amazingly enough, this wasn't the Nuggets' worst offensive performance of the young season. On Nov. 16, against Detroit, they managed to score only 53 points. And in mid-December, they again scored only 22 in the first half, this time against Philly.

6. Tonya Harding vs. Paula Jones
Ugh. Remember the "Cheers" episode when someone bought Sam's Red Sox jersey in a fundraising auction, just so he wouldn't have to keep hearing about it on the air? Can we do something like that with these two? They just keep coming back. And somehow, just when you thought they couldn't possibly do any more damage to their reputations ...

7. DJ's stupid, offensive stunt
Beau Duran, a "morning radio personality" at Phoenix radio station KUPD-FM, called Darryl Kile's wife before a playoff game in Phoenix and asked her if she had a date, adding that he thought she was "hot." The tasteless prank call led to Duran's firing -- but the station didn't fire him until advertisers left the station in droves.

8. Shawn Estes vs. Roger Clemens
The anticipation was high for a knockdown pitch with Clemens at the plate against a Mets pitcher for the first time since the Mike Piazza bat-throwing incident two years prior in the World Series. And what does Estes do? Throws so far behind Clemens that the Rocket smirks back in return. We're not sure what Estes should have done, but we're sure it wasn't that.

9. Dennis Franchione's departure
It's not that Franchione left Alabama for the head coaching position at Texas A&M. It's how he left -- not only walking out on players he recruited, but delegating notice of his own departure to an assistant and the media.

10. Jose Canseco tells all
His comments during Steroids Week and his threat to write a tell-all showed the ugly side of this erratic superstar, who was given plenty of second chances in baseball.

What do you think? Good list, or are there uglier moments from this year?

- Arpikarhu - 12-31-2002

this thread :bouncer:

- QuickStop - 12-31-2002

Quote:8. Shawn Estes vs. Roger Clemens
The anticipation was high for a knockdown pitch with Clemens at the plate against a Mets pitcher for the first time since the Mike Piazza bat-throwing incident two years prior in the World Series. And what does Estes do? Throws so far behind Clemens that the Rocket smirks back in return. We're not sure what Estes should have done, but we're sure it wasn't that.
that was one of my favorite things, ever. Me and my friend were watching the game and just started cracking up. god, the mets suck.

- Gooch - 12-31-2002

Worst Moments:

1. Arpi's and Keyser's bet which resulted in a wasted evening without Arpi.

2. Galt's sport threads and musings

3. Ken'sPen thinking Washington had a chance.

- Arpikarhu - 12-31-2002

Quote:wasted evening without Arpi
true of all nights without me

- The Sleeper - 12-31-2002

Quote:7. DJ's stupid, offensive stunt
Beau Duran, a "morning radio personality" at Phoenix radio station KUPD-FM, called Darryl Kile's wife before a playoff game in Phoenix and asked her if she had a date, adding that he thought she was "hot." The tasteless prank call led to Duran's firing -- but the station didn't fire him until advertisers left the station in droves.
I still think this was comedy gold

- Arpikarhu - 12-31-2002

hence the voting. sorry alkie

- Ronin - 12-31-2002

Quote:
Quote:8. Shawn Estes vs. Roger Clemens
that was one of my favorite things, ever. Me and my friend were watching the game and just started cracking up. god, the mets suck.
I think he didn't want to hit him. He wanted to send a message saying "I could hit you if i want to, but i am not going to do it since i would get thrown out". Estes threw it to just scare him. Clemens is a dick anyway.

- The Sleeper - 12-31-2002

Quote:hence the voting. sorry alkie
way to bastardize a perfectly good gag.

- Arpikarhu - 12-31-2002

the old sleeper would have laughed

- QuickStop - 12-31-2002

Quote:I think he didn't want to hit him. He wanted to send a message saying "I could hit you if i want to, but i am not going to do it since i would get thrown out". Estes threw it to just scare him. Clemens is a dick anyway.
i think he was trying to hit him but missed horribly. if you're trying to send a message, you throw up and in. not behind the guy. the message that sends is "I'm not very intimidating."

- Teenweek - 01-01-2003

Estes was not trying to hit him. He just wanted to send a message saying that this is over.

The number one thing was when I think her name Brittany Cecil died from a puck shot to the head at the Columbus game. Also how can you not include Ted Williams son having him cryogenically frozen to sell his DNA. Or the tie at the All Star Game. Or basically the Mets entire season.

- QuickStop - 01-01-2003

Quote:Estes was not trying to hit him. He just wanted to send a message saying that this is over.
i still dont think he was trying to throw the ball behind him. thats just silly

- Teenweek - 01-01-2003

Estes was not even on the team when all that happened. They should have retaliated that game. The Mets had their chance and they blew it. Estes had to save face to his teammates and I think he did. Especially the Mets won the game and he hit a homerun off Clemens. So if you are a Mets fan wasn't that more important than trying to hit Clemens when you know if he got back on the mound, Clemens would not miss his target.

- QuickStop - 01-01-2003

Quote:Especially the Mets won the game and he hit a homerun off Clemens.
well he did that right

- GonzoStyle - 01-01-2003

Quote:1. Arpi's and Keyser's bet which resulted in a wasted evening without Arpi.

A fun night for all who were there yet need to be reminded Gooch was there cause he didn't say a word the whole night.

- Gooch - 01-02-2003

I am a firm believer that filling the airspace with noise does not necessarily make for a good evening...unless, of course, I had just had chili.

- crx girl - 01-02-2003

i had a good evening

- GonzoStyle - 01-02-2003

Quote:I am a firm believer that filling the airspace with noise does not necessarily make for a good evening...unless, of course, I had just had chili.

Well I honestly believe saying an evening sucked when you didn't try participating in it at all doesn't mean it sucked, just means someone needs to work on his social skills. Or should learn how to be as big mouthed in person as he is online.

- Gooch - 01-02-2003

Well, the evening did not suck. Taking Arpi to task over not showing to something he had spurred forth was where my "wasted evening" comment came from.

As for being "big-mouthed" online, as for being quiet in our evenings together, I speak and interact to who I choose, when I choose, and how I choose. I owe no explanation, regrets, nor excuses. I get what I give, give what I get. At least I put myself out there to these events. Whether I try to verbally cleave myself into the soliquies that go on at these events is really irrelevent. Social skills is not providing a comedy act at gatherings.