CDIH
Bernard hopkins rebutal to roy jones - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Bernard hopkins rebutal to roy jones (/showthread.php?tid=473)

- GonzoStyle - 02-16-2002

A couple saturdays ago, Unified champions Roy Jones and Bernard Hopkins fought on the same night. In between fights the two old rivals who have been going back and forth about having a rematch from their 1992 middleweight bout, which Jones won on 12 round decision.

Jones spank Hopkins in the interview without missing a beat. Hopkins has finally come back with a statement he gave to maxboxing.com (Max kellerman of ESPN2 runs the site)

I have to admit while Jones did all his talking on the spot without any prep work. Hopkins took some time and put his thoughts together and the result is comedy gold, here are some snipets.

Quote:"You've been hearing the crazy Roy Jones stance of 60-40," Hopkins told MaxBoxing.com to begin his rant. "I'll kick your ass and all that. Now, it's time for my rebuttal and I want to go ahead and fire back.

"The reason Roy Jones Jr. don't want to fight Bernard Hopkins is because I remind him too much of his father when his father used to kick his ass..."

That's just the start.

Quote:"And also he's having flashbacks when his dog got shot by his father when it bit his sister," the undisputed middleweight champ continued. "So I remind him of his father, Roy thinks I'm a bully. I remind him of Roy Jones Sr. I really came to the decision now that Roy Jones is scared of Bernard Hopkins, I remind him too much of his father when he used to kick his ass when he was younger."

Now he's talking about Roy's dogs... One thing you don't mess around with when it comes to Jones is his dogs. Hopkins knows how much he loved his dog and loves his 3 rottweilers now.

Then he goes on to talk about roy's new rapper image

Quote:"Where did a guy that feeds pigs and raises chickens try to become a city, Hip-Hopper with his hat backwards, looking like a babbling idiot? What is wrong with the guy? I mean, be proud you're from Pensacola, Florida, if you ain't from New York, don't act like a New Yorker. Now, he's this RoughRyder, Hip-Hop, DMX — Roy Jones Jr., the rap-artist gangster. You know what it is? The man wants to be me. See my history speaks for itself. I don't have to act street, I ain't got to look like I'm tough, Roy admires Bernard Hopkins, he's got a complex where he wants to be me.

"Anytime a man makes a demo and goes across the world to sing '60-40' and makes a rap song out of it, he don't want to fight. He thinks I got under Trinidad's skin? I already got under his, because I remind him too much of his father."

Well now, lol do you think he's becoming repetative with the father comments? Well how I view it is he's pretty much saying that he's not only like his dad was but he is saying "i am roy jones daddy and he's my bitch."

But how does bernard trully feel about Roy Jones new album "Round 1"?

Quote:"His album sucks," stated Hopkins, beginning his career as a music critic. "And some would say, 'Well Bernard, maybe you're just jealous because you can't rap,' Nah, nah, Roy's not a rapper. Roy Jones trying to be a rapper is like MC Hammer coming out with the genie pants in 2002 and outdoing DMX. Roy Jones is a fraud and he's a wannabe rapper and if hangs with James Prince long enough he's gonna bring the 'Ghetto Boys' back and they're going to start acting like they're the hottest thing in rap this year."

Well I don't think you'll see Hopkins cruising to Roy's music anytime soon.

Anything else Hopkins has to add?

Quote:"He knows he's not in control of me," said Hopkins, who is in Miami, Florida on vacation. "Those other guys who fight Roy, say, 'Thank you for giving me the opportunity and I'm going to continue finding lost children and have Roy say that I'm a good person', like the way he talked about his last two number one contenders — not that that's a bad thing. Or fighting a trash man, who's a part-time boxer, or fighting a cop, who's a full-time cop and part-time boxer."

"Before we put the cart in front of the horse, Roy's gotta get off that 60-40 junk and stop being 'Boy' Jones and be Roy Jones," Hopkins said. "I thought that all the abuse his father put him through gave him some cajones."

You think Hopkins stops there? Ohh too much to put in here, lol.

If you wanna read the article go to maxboxing.com

I have to admit Hopkins did come back somthing lovely. Yet still talk is just that, I still think hopkins ego is also overblown now. No for a bad reason the guy is the undisputed champion in his division and he unlike Roy Jones has several other possible opponents for a big money fights.

But I doubt Roy Jones will take this one lying down.

- Gooch - 02-16-2002

that's priceless...only prob i have it is a bunch of writers and handlers did it for him. it's out there to spur Jones to make Hopkin's payday. What Jone should do, b/c he ain't gonna get suckered, is offer 40/60...60% to Hopkins only if he wins, and otherwise 60/40 any other way. Make Hopkins put up. If he really had cojones, he'd offer "Winner take all", and let Hopkins try to repsond to that.

- GonzoStyle - 02-16-2002

Quote:only prob i have it is a bunch of writers and handlers did it for him.

Quote:Roy Jones trying to be a rapper is like MC Hammer coming out with the genie pants in 2002 and outdoing DMX. Roy Jones is a fraud and he's a wannabe rapper and if hangs with James Prince long enough he's gonna bring the 'Ghetto Boys' back and they're going to start acting like they're the hottest thing in rap this year."

No, that's all bernard hopkins, lol.

Hopkins is crazy and funny as all hell and his verbal skills are as good as his in-ring skills. He doesn't speak anything reminscent of english half of the time but unlike Roy Jones he can't be caught in a battle live. Roy Jones didn't miss a beat or stutter a word while Hopkins was outclassed and couldn't get a word past his stutter. It was like listening to porky pig try to do a dennis miller rant and sound intelligent at the same time.

- Gooch - 02-16-2002

yup...that's why that night i was in stitches watching that b/c Jones was so ripping him to pieces, it reminded me of the old days of Ali. I love Roy Jones, and have been fansicnated with him ever since he put on a boxing clinic on the seemingly invulnerable James "Lights Out" Toney. I like the "boxing drama", b/c unlike the middleweights, there just is no competition for Jones, unless he goes down in weight and takes them on(Trindad, Hopkins, the overratedVargas -who will lose to De La Hoya, etc)...which is why i hope Hopkins pisses Jones enough to go down in weight and take them on.

- Keyser Soze - 02-19-2002

Gooch Wrote:If he really had cojones, he'd offer "Winner take all", and let Hopkins try to repsond to that.
That would be the best way to do it. Unfortunatley I don't think Roy will settle for anything less than 60/40.

Lets face it, Hopkins will be the one who will have to compromise here and he's more likely to do it than Roy.

- GonzoStyle - 02-19-2002

Keyser Soze Wrote:
Gooch Wrote:If he really had cojones, he'd offer "Winner take all", and let Hopkins try to repsond to that.
That would be the best way to do it. Unfortunatley I don't think Roy will settle for anything less than 60/40.

Lets face it, Hopkins will be the one who will have to compromise here and he's more likely to do it than Roy.
I completely agree, no matter how great Hopkins is, Jones is better. It's the old addage of whatever Benrard can do, Roy can do it better.

60/40 is a very fair deal.