CDIH
Gruden to the bucs - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Gruden to the bucs (/showthread.php?tid=499)

- DGW - 02-18-2002

The Bucs finally got their coach.....After more than a month without a coach, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers finally have the man they wanted almost from the start: Jon Gruden.

After spending the weekend in negotiations with San Francisco coach Steve Mariucci, the Bucs reversed field Monday and hired Gruden, who had a year left on his contract with the Oakland Raiders but had indicated he would not stay around after it expired after next season.

A source close to the Buccaneers told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio that Gruden has a five-year deal worth $17.5 million, or $3.5 million per season.

As compensation for Gruden, the Raiders will receive first- and second-round draft picks in 2002, a first-round pick in 2003, and a second-round pick in 2004, the source told Paolantonio. Oakland will not receive any cash or any players.

- Cluster F - 02-18-2002

its about damn time the Bucs got a coach. While i hate the Bucs, i am a Jon Gruden fan, so he should make them better. The Raiders sure did get a lot of stuff for him though with those draft picks. However, those draft picks are ok because the Bucs never suck too much, so they wont be that low. I think the Raiders got a good deal for a coach, but the Bucs know that they will be good under Gruden. So, it is even.

- Arpikarhu - 02-18-2002

Cluster F Wrote:its about damn time the Bucs got a coach. While i hate the Bucs, i am a Jon Gruden fan, so he should make them better. The Raiders sure did get a lot of stuff for him though with those draft picks. However, those draft picks are ok because the Bucs never suck too much, so they wont be that low. I think the Raiders got a good deal for a coach, but the Bucs know that they will be good under Gruden. So, it is even.
you need to focus a little bit better. you are posting like you have been on a 6 day coke binge.lol

- FNMoron - 02-19-2002

Being a Raiders fan, this totally sucks... Gruden was a damn good coach... The Raiders should have at least fought a little to keep Gruden for the remainder of his contract... I personally could give two shits about draft picks, considering 90% of the incoming rookies will suck anyway...

- Banana_juice - 02-19-2002

Being probably one of the biggest bucs fans in new jersey, I am thrilled about this deal.. it does suck that they lost some top draft picks over the next few years, but gruden is a solid coach.

- Sean Cold - 02-19-2002

I'm sorry but unless they are planning on other deals, giving up 2 number 1's and two 2's is a bit much for ay coach. The Bucs have a bunch of pussified recievers that hate the middle of the field. Brad Johson is also way too eratic to run a west coast offense but then again, so was Gannon, but the draft picks just seem a little much for a team that wasn't on the verge in the first place.

- Banana_juice - 02-19-2002

I totally agree on the brad johnson thing.. i never thought he was a good quarterback actually. better than shawn king, but not good for the bucs.. as far as the draft picks, i just have to hope for some good free agent signings next year i guess.