CDIH
Your Turn To Play God - a hypothetical situation - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Your Turn To Play God - a hypothetical situation (/showthread.php?tid=5016)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Sir O - 01-22-2003

You must make a decision based on the information presented. Your decision must be immediate, and you must be able to justify your decision. You and only you have the power to make this decision.

Background

Persons A, B, C, and D are all successful businessmen. Each one is married with children, own companies that employ thousands of people, frequently make generous charitable contributions, and are law abiding, tax paying, model American citizens with unblemished criminal records.

Person E works for minimum wage, lives in his mother's basement, has a history of petty crime and even once served a sentence for manslaughter. He's known to associate with junkies, degenerates, and other criminals. He is currently awaiting trial for murder.

Dilemna

Person A needs a heart transplant, or he'll die.

Person B needs a liver transplant, or he'll die.

Person C needs a kidney transplant, or he'll die.

Person D needs a stomach transplant, or he'll die.

Person E is in perfect health, other than the fact that he lost a kidney in a prison fight many years back in which he was stabbed. Person E is the only potential donor for persons A, B, C, and D. He is a willing organ donor, but unwilling to die unnaturally. In this hypothetical situation, it is known that transplant operations have a 100% success rate.

Decision

A) You decide that person E must be euthanized, and his organs donated to persons A, B, C, and D, saving their lives.

B) You decide that person E stays alive, leading to the deaths of persons A, B, C, and D.

Justify your decision, taking into account the potential benefits and consequences of both the decision you did make, and the one you didn't.

- Arpikarhu - 01-22-2003

i dont give a fuck about any of them, i am GOD !!!!

- FollowThisLogic - 01-22-2003

Where is C?

You know, the option where you really violently kill person E, such that his organs are completely unusable for A, B, C, and D, so all five of them end up dying? :clueless:

- Cowboy - 01-22-2003

Sounds to me like someone is taking a class in ethics and needs help on their homework.

- Hey Ladi - 01-22-2003

B.

Cannot kill someone against their will. Plenty of people need transplants every day, mothers, children .... We can't just go around harvesting the organs of criminals, just because they are there & the criminals aren't going to be useful in society anymore. If A-D cannot find another organ, it must have been their turn to go.

- Smashed Cactus - 01-22-2003

B

regardless to whether he has taken peoples lives or not, its still wrong to do so, and 2 wrongs dont make a right

- TheGMANN - 01-22-2003

MY BRAIN HURTS READING THIS.....OWWWWW!!!!!! Confuseduicide:

- OAS - 01-22-2003

If you are God and play by all the rules and teachings of God, it is B. All the nicey nice guys die and come to God's kingdom where they have been promised a better life for all eternity. The scumbag lives his pittiful life on earth, eventually dies and is not allowed to enter your kingdom because of his actions on earth. He is dammed to an eternal suffering in Hell. So who is our new member here that just got dammed for all time in Hell?

- Weird NJ - 01-22-2003

If I was playing God, i created those people to choose there own actions. In this case the accused must face the court system that those people founded. I wouldn't interfere unless he was sentenced to death and it was obvious that he was gonna sit on death row for a very long time. That's my perspective on the situation.

- Jack - 01-22-2003

If I was god I would just cure the sick guys and leave the bastard to rot in jail. Miracles happen everyday you know.

- Galt - 01-22-2003

The businessmen should try and buy their needed organs on the black market.

- Mad - 01-22-2003

As God, I say FUCK THEM ALL! Jeez, there are only several BILLION people on this planet.

I gave them the miracle of life and they ask for MORE?!

:burnfucker:

- Faceman - 01-22-2003

The scenario isn't really hypothetical being that this situation, or ones like it, have occurred throughout our history from time to time I'm sure. It's not right and it's not fair, but "good people" in this world are going to suffer while others who are not as desirable, live their lives under the radar and live passable lives until they die. It's called life, it's been going on for ages and will continue to go on. That stated, I agree with OAS in that B is the scenario that must be chosen if you are a follower of god's teaching. We would like to believe that A would always be true, but that's not always the case

- Hey Ladi - 01-22-2003

Who was the Baseball player that skipped to the head of the line? Got a new liver because he drank a lot or something?

- Ronin - 01-22-2003

Quote:Each one is married with children, own companies that employ thousands of people, frequently make generous charitable contributions, and are law abiding, tax paying, model American citizens with unblemished criminal records.
whew. I thought you were talking about the CEO of WorldCom there. ok, i feel better now.

- fbd - 01-22-2003

they make artificial hearts and kidneys these days

- LyricalGomez - 01-22-2003

A:This the herd

- Sir O - 01-22-2003

Interesting responses so far...

Actually, I probably titled this improperly. "Playing God" was in reference to the fact that a life and death decision was in your hands. I meant it figuratively, not literally, not that it should make a difference in your answer anyway. But you probably knew that...

No, there is no option C. Either one lives, or four live...

No, this isn't homework. This is how I spend my free time. Sad, it is...

There is no black market in this situation. As stated, there is only one potential donor in existence, and he's still very much alive...

Artificial hearts and kidneys? I hadn't thought of that...let's just say, in this situation, there is no such thing as an artifical organ.

I'm actually surprised nobody chose A.

- Hey Ladi - 01-22-2003

do another one :bouncer: please

- QuickStop - 01-22-2003

c. since im god, ill make guy E die by accident, then his organs will be donated.