CDIH
Orange alert, sheilds up, charge phasers... - Terrorism bullshit alert going up. - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Orange alert, sheilds up, charge phasers... - Terrorism bullshit alert going up. (/showthread.php?tid=5242)

Pages: 1 2

- FollowThisLogic - 02-07-2003

Okay, so I read over on CNN that the terrorism threat is going to be raised to "orange" today.

The real question is..... who cares?

I firmly believe that this color-coded alert system is complete BULLSHIT, designed to preserve the illusion of security, the illusion that we can actually CONTROL terrorist actions.

I mean come on, if this shit was actually real and useful, where was our "red" warning on 9/10/2001?

Shit like this, that blatantly patronizes the American people in an attempt to pacify them, really fucking makes me mad.

- QuickStop - 02-07-2003

when will go to beige? or lavender? lavender is a god dman scary color

- FNMoron - 02-07-2003

so... does level PINK still mean Arpi & Joey Fatone are coming to dinner?

- PollyannaFlower46 - 02-07-2003

I don't think the raising of the terror alert is a ploy to patronize Americans at all. The fact of the matter is, if we do go to war in Iraq, the chances of terrorist attacks taking place on US soil is certainly going to be increased. If something god forbid were to happen and the terror alert was not raised, the American public would want to know why they weren't warned. Granted the alert level doesn't change everything in our day to day lives, but it does make us more aware of the threat. Every law enforcement agency in the country is working together to ensure our safety, etc. as is our government so maybe we should all be a little less critical of certain things and be thankful that they're doing all they can to prevent anything like September 11, from ever happening again.

Thank you, and I'll get off my soap box now.

- Ronin - 02-07-2003

Quote:where was our "red" warning on 9/10/2001?

FYI, they didn't have this system until after 9/11.

Did they say why they were raising it? Is there a muslim holiday coming up? Maybe because of Valentine's Day.

- Metalfan - 02-07-2003

Sir....we've gone plaid :crackhead:

- FNMoron - 02-07-2003

:rofl: @ Metal... :thumbs-up:

- QuickStop - 02-07-2003

whats the matter col. sanders?....chicken?

- Ronin - 02-07-2003

we have to go to............Ludicrous Speed!!!

Good movie.

- QuickStop - 02-07-2003

$8 on dvd coul be the best price on anything, ever.

Quote:FYI, they didn't have this system until after 9/11.
I'm aware of that. No one ever even thought of terrorism before that day, now you can't escape it. My point is, I think the system was designed to make people FEEL safe in a situation we actually don't have any control over. My 9/10 comment basically means, if this system actually did anything at all, if it actually made a difference and was NOT invented to make people feel better, it would have been in place for a long time.

Quote:If something god forbid were to happen and the terror alert was not raised, the American public would want to know why they weren't warned.
And if the terrorism warning goes to orange or even red, and something happens anyway, like a dirty bomb or nuke levels DC, people will wonder why it wasn't prevented, and will have no faith in the alert system anymore. To extend that line of thinking, I think they probably raise the level at times they're fairly sure NOTHING is going to happen, to make it look like the system is actually working.

- DGW - 02-07-2003

i hate serious threads

- Metalfan - 02-07-2003

Quote:i hate serious threads

don't you mean seriouz threadz

Quote:To extend that line of thinking, I think they probably raise the level at times they're fairly sure NOTHING is going to happen, to make it look like the system is actually working.
I don't think so. I have some inside knowledge of what's going on, especially in New York City, and they don't do shit like that. Its a waste of time and resources. When the terror alert is raised, there are certain precautionary measures that must be put into place, which place a financial strain on our already shallow resources. I don't think our government is operating on a scare tactics (sp) basis with citizens, but if you can prove me wrong, I welcome it.

- FNMoron - 02-07-2003

Metal... i think you must have a strict "1 Funney per thread" rule in effect Undecided

It's just absolute skepticism. It's really fucking easy to put everyone in this state of high alert when you know nothing's gonna happen, and then say, "hey look, nothing happened, the system works, we're so smart!"

What do you about that system WHEN the next attack comes? Yes, when, not if. There's no fucking if about it. It's going to happen, and it's going to be bad. And there's not a Damn thing any color system can do about it. If the alert is red that day - or worse, if it's lower than that - what does that say for the system? Who would want to trust it?

- DGW - 02-07-2003

i'm just not in z mood

- Buttmunch - 02-07-2003

The Hajj is ending soon.

Then shit will happen.

- Metalfan - 02-07-2003

Quote:Metal... i think you must have a strict "1 Funney per thread" rule in effect

Sorry Mo, its Friday and I'm feeling saucy.....apparently I pushed my luck though Undecided

I don't think its the color system that we need to have faith and trust in, its the people behind the system. Those in local, state, and federal law enforcement and the military. Do I think there's going to be another attack? Absolutely. We're not dealing with those who are not willing to die for their "cause" and therefore, we definitely have a reason to worry, but the fact of the matter is terror attacks have been averted. Is knowing that 4 out of 5 attacks were averted going to make anyone feel better when we're surrounded by devestation? Of course not, but at least they're trying to do something.