CDIH
Offical NY Yankees Baseball Thread - Road Back to Glory - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Offical NY Yankees Baseball Thread - Road Back to Glory (/showthread.php?tid=5249)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- x-file - 02-08-2003

With less than 2 weeks before spring training, I figured I'd take the liberty to start the thread off. Didn't see anybody else start it off yet.

I think that the only big question i'm worried about is the bullpen. Whether Contreras is in the bullpen or not, I'm still worried about it. Hammond, Acevedo, Osuna instead of Mendoza and Stanton? I guess only the season will tell.

GO YANKS!

- GonzoStyle - 02-08-2003

I just hope Contreras doesn't turn into another Irabu.

The level of competition is greater in the latin countries since many of the up and coming players are of latin origin but it's still not MLB level. Factor in the pressure of not only starting in the majors but playing in Yankee Stadium.

The outfield kinda worries me 1st through 3rd we are golden, we may have the best infield in the game with giambi, soriano, jeter and fuckface at third. Our catcher is gold, outfield is the only thing that worries me, bernie ain't movin like he used to.

Ofcourse the pitching is a huge question mark.

- x-file - 02-09-2003

You are right. Other than the the bullpen being a question, I'm also curious to see how Matsui does. As the latin league is different so is the Japanese league. There no where near the way th MLB pitchers pitch. Hopefully he can catch up to the fastball and adjust very quickly. Because all we need is White,Mondesi and Matsui in the outfield who between them all, average .250

As far as bernie goes, I'll take him over alot of CF's in the AL. If you look at each teams CF, who would you rather have?
Boston - Damon. Maybe....
Toronto - Vernon Wells..NO
Tampa - Please...
Baltimore - Jay Gibbons..NO
Cleveland - Milton Bradley
CWS - Aaron Rowand...Who?
Minnesota - Hunter...maybe
KC - Beltran....maybe
Detroit - George Lombard...Who?
Oakland - Long...No
Anaheim - Erstad...Maybe
Seattle - Cameron...No
Texas - Glanville...No

So maybe 4 guys are better, with the exception of Hunter, I'd take Bernie any day of the week.

- Austin - 02-09-2003

Beltran, Hunter and Wells would be the only ones I would take in CF out of that list, Beltran is like 26 and is a 30-30 guy, Hunter is around the same age and has a great upside, and Vernon could breakout this year, definately has the potential though.

I expect Matsui to go through an early adjustment period, If he is the player he's been talked up as... he'll adjust.

Bernie doesn't have the speed he once did that helped compensate for his bad fielding, his arm is weak and always has been. Of course I never think of the loyalty aspect and the clubhouse moral aspect of it...

The outfield definaltely gives me the jibblies... the other aspects of the team are very solid - good depth in the rotation (If weaver gets put in the bullpen again I'm gonna be so pissed), fantatsic infield, bullpen... eh, fantastic coaching, amazing (HEALTHY) closer... we're pretty much set.

I'd be willing to bet on Colon being a Yankee by the trading deadline. Time will tell.

- x-file - 02-09-2003

Bernie has always had a weak arm. Very, Very rarely will he ever make sombody tagging think about staying put. And Yes, He might be a little slower than what we expect. Couple times last year balls that should of been caught were not and doubles normally would of been singles. But for the most part, Bernie's defense was average and his Offense was better than normal. For that one stretch during the season bernie was on fire. Granted in the playoffs he did his typical bernie dissapearing act, but until bernie gives us reason to admit that he's done, then I'll keep him.

- diceisgod - 02-09-2003

I must say that Bernie Williams is the only Yankee I respect. First class outfielder and first class guitar player. The rest can die slowly just as every other Yankee.

- x-file - 02-13-2003

I respect George as an owner. He is a great business man. He wants to win and nothing will stop him from putting out the best possible team that will. And when he doesn't win, well he gets upset. But I don't like the fact that he starts with his star players. Questioning Jeters works ethics and what he does off the field. I understand that Jeter had an off year this past season, but he did the same stuff the 4 years before and he had MVP years as the leader of the Yankees. Making comments about torre isn't gonna help either. It might light a fire under there asses and they'll win, but I can't stand crap like that. I accept him fireing Giambi's personal trainer/ batting practice pitcher..no need for that. But all this other crap, Petty. :crackhead:

- Keyser Soze - 02-13-2003

i predict the yanks are beginning their 1980's style "black period", even torre admitted that making the playoffs this year will be "a crapshoot"

- GonzoStyle - 02-13-2003

Steinbrenner loves and lives to win but what does he think they will win every single year? I mean for fuck sakes from 1996 - 2001 we were the dynasty again. I expect them to make the playoffs ofcourse but I don't expect them to win every single year. Did they maybe get lazy at the end last year? yeah they did.

But steinbrenner takes one "off" year and starts in on the team, not just the team but the core of the team. He needs to leave it in the hands of the people who actually make it happen, thats Cashman, Torre, and The Players. Take a long fuckin vacation and chill the fuck out.

- GonzoStyle - 02-13-2003

As far as the starting rotation, you got welles, mussina, pettite and clemens for the 1-4 spots.

That leaves weaver, hitchcock and contreras for that 5th spot. Welles will get injured sometime during the season, as will probably the other two except for Mussina.

Weaver still hasn't proved anything, he showed promise but he's still not a yankee stadium starter yet. Hitchcock is a mid-reliever at his best but can be a decent starter. If Contreras is all he is supposed to be, spring training will somewhat tell, they gotta put him in. What's the point of all the hoopla and backstabbing and fighting to get him, they can't leave him on the bench.

Build weaver up for when clemens retires next year.

- PollyannaFlower46 - 02-14-2003

From the way I saw Wells talking on the news the other day, he sounded like he thought he was being put in the pen. I could've misinterpreted him though. I'm sure he'll get hurt though, he's old and fat...but I still love him.

By the way, I know this isn't the best place for it, but if anyone knows of a ticket broker who is reliable, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

- Arpikarhu - 02-14-2003

36 days until i go to tampa for spring training. i am see all of the yanks last 6 games before opening day!!

- HedCold - 02-14-2003

i'm going to be in orlando when the yankees play the braves, so i might go to that :thumbs-up:

- GonzoStyle - 02-14-2003

Quote:i am see all of the yanks last 6 games before opening day!!

Next time arpi makes fun of your spelling or grammar, remind him of this.

- Arpikarhu - 02-15-2003

shit! fucking cold medication fogging my damaged brain

- PollyannaFlower46 - 02-15-2003

Arpi,
Could you give David Wells a pair of my panties for me? Thanks!

- GonzoStyle - 02-15-2003

Sounds like Weaver is gonna get the 5th spot, I think contreras will replace him once weaver starts off 1-5 or 2-5.

- Arpikarhu - 02-15-2003

weaver is the future number 2 pitcher of the yankees.

- GonzoStyle - 02-20-2003

Steinbrener won't apologize to Jeter for his comments we all know that. Yet he can't let it alone either he has to keep on pushing the subject.

"If i'm paying a guy 16 million he better listen to what I say about him".

Keep on pushing cause there's 20 other teams who will gladly pay him that and more.

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 02-20-2003

George needs to stay out of the dug out and if he has a beef with a player he should take it up with the player instead of speaking to the media about it. Just sign the checks, pat on the ass when you do good, and let's talk about this in my office if you do bad...He shouldn't be callin Jeter out infront of all NY and the world to see...