CDIH
Yankees spring training report - In the interest of equal time. ;) - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Yankees spring training report - In the interest of equal time. ;) (/showthread.php?tid=560)

- Keyser Soze - 02-22-2002

<font size="3">Giambi's arrival creates quite a stir</font>
February 22, 2002

These Yankees are stars, but this dynasty has experienced nothing like the arrival of first baseman Jason Giambi. Not even Roger Clemens' landing in pinstripes comes close to the excitement Giambi generates during workouts at Legends Field. The fans here have applauded his every breath. It is truly incredible.

What will this mean on the field? The Yankees respected and feared Giambi greatly when he played with Oakland. That means the Yankees now will have someone who is respected and feared greatly by opponents, which is certainly something they have not had previously. It is still not certain that Giambi will live up to the pressure, but no matter how he hits -- at least in the first few months -- the team and the lineup will be far greater because of his presence. . . .

Bernie Williams put together a 2001 that was, on the surface, consistent with his previous years. Yet the 33-year-old says now that he was in a fog for the entire season, in mourning for the loss of his father last May. He thinks he can play better this year.

Now that the Yankees have an upgraded offense, they can get by just fine if Williams merely repeats his 2001 performance. But expect Williams to follow through on his vow and improve. . . .

"Enrique Almonte" -- that is what Luis Sojo called infielder Enrique Wilson, who, like many other Dominican players, proved to be older after a tougher visa process. Wilson could be scolded, but does it really matter? The guy is 28 rather than 26, and he is a utility infielder on a one-year contract. It is not as big a deal for the Yankees as it is for other teams that had Dominican players signed to multi-year agreements. That Wilson is 28 rather than 26 certainly won't impact his on-field contributions. . . .

The Yankees brought back World Series hero Jim Leyritz, meaning that they now have five catchers with bona fide major-league experience competing for the right to back up Jorge Posada. Leyritz, who didn't even play in the majors last year, probably won't win this battle. It seems like Alberto Castillo is the favorite.

EARLY SPRING SURPRISE

David Wells reported to camp saying he wasn't quite ready to throw off of a mound after undergoing back surgery last July, and some people immediately decided that this meant Boomer would start the regular season on the disabled list.

Well, not two days later, Wells got a "wild hair" and decided to try throwing off of a mound. He fired fastballs, spun curveballs and grooved changeups. Wells is now right on pace with his five fellow starting pitchers, which means righthander Orlando Hernandez is still an excellent bet to be traded.

It is amazing to think that Wells got a two-year contract after winning just five games last year and missing the second half with back surgery. But Wells will be excellent in the back end of the rotation, at least for this year. He is blessed with great stuff, and he won't mess around as much as he did with Toronto and the White Sox. If he does, he'll have to face the piercing stares of manager Joe Torre and pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre. Wells will win 12 games.

- Arpikarhu - 02-22-2002

thanks teen week. i havent been able to get a paper since they stopped selling them all over the country for 50 cents

i love you arpi

- Arpikarhu - 02-22-2002

Keyser Soze Wrote:i love you arpi
you are so sweet :loveya:

- Galt - 02-22-2002

Boooo!

- PollyannaFlower46 - 02-22-2002

:bouncer: Boomer :bouncer: Sorry. Have a wee little crush on David Wells. Smile

Does any one else here go to games regularly?

PollyannaFlower46 Wrote::bouncer: Boomer :bouncer: Sorry. Have a wee little crush on David Wells. Smile
You have a thing for fat bald guys?

Unfortunately, my girlfriend drags me to Yankee games from time to time.

- PollyannaFlower46 - 02-22-2002

Keyser Soze Wrote:You have a thing for fat bald guys?
No, not usually...but I love him. He's actually a nice guy in person too. I met him when he was playing for Toronto and I went to see him pitch against the Yanks. NONE of the Yankees starters came to say hi to fans or sign shit, and Wells came over to me (I had a huge sign) and talked to me for a bit and signed my jersey. I babbled like a total idiot, but the experience was amazing. I can't wait to wait for him this year. Smile

- GonzoStyle - 02-22-2002

PollyannaFlower46 Wrote:I babbled like a total idiot, but the experience was amazing.
ohh the possibilities

- AFDude - 02-23-2002

Fuck the Yankees.

- PollyannaFlower46 - 02-23-2002

AFDude Wrote:Fuck the Yankees.
No, no fuck you.

Stop your whining and go pick out a dress. Wink

- AFDude - 02-23-2002

Quote:Stop your whining and go pick out a dress.

TAMFG.

- PollyannaFlower46 - 02-23-2002

AFDude Wrote:TAMFG.
LMAOBYTTINGMYWADWTYWTWSAATRSAPG