CDIH
New Hard Drive - why wont you work!?!? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: New Hard Drive - why wont you work!?!? (/showthread.php?tid=5622)

- QuickStop - 03-15-2003

i bought a 120gb Maxtor HD yesterday and installed it. something got fucked over and windows kept shutting down and i was never able to actually install and format the drive. i had to do a system restore and the computer is working again but i still have no fucking clue how to get this fucking thing to work. the directions dont help for shit

- Weird NJ - 03-15-2003

Check your BIOS and make sure your drive settings are all Auto detect. See if you put the cables on right or if loosened another one by mistake. If it was attached onto the ribbon cable that was in already in use, you would have to change the jumper settings on both of the drives. From what I remember Windows should auto- detect it as well.

Edit* Check the documentation and see if drivers are included and/or necessary. :thumbs-up:

Edited By Weird NJ on 1047759155

- Jack - 03-15-2003

Might be too large for your motherboard to support. Some boards only support up to 32GB, some have a limit of 137GB and some have no limit. Check your Motherboard documentation.

- QuickStop - 03-15-2003

i set the jumpers to slave and master. the end of the ide cable is connected to the 60gb drive that came with the pc, and the connector of the cable is attatched to the new 120gb drive. when i first turned on the pc, it said "new hardware detected." if i go into the device manager, it is listed there and it says its working properly. according to the booklet, i am suposed to start up the system with the installation floppy in the drive and it will take me through thre steps to setting it up. the last time i tried, it said that there were not any maxtor drive located.

- Weird NJ - 03-15-2003

Quote:i set the jumpers to slave and master. the end of the ide cable is connected to the 60gb drive that came with the pc, and the connector of the cable is attatched to the new 120gb drive. when i first turned on the pc, it said "new hardware detected." if i go into the device manager, it is listed there and it says its working properly.
So respectively, the 60gb is primary and the 120gb is slave. Right? It has to be because it boots up.

What you say here is that windows detects it. So if you go into My computer, is it shown there as another drive? If it is you should be able to format it.

If it isn't, you probably have to partition it first. the Maxor disk isn't working so you should try to use Windows. I don't remember where you can find it, but there should be an FDISK command somewhere in the Windows directories or on the Windows CD.

On a side note, Check to see if you have it plugged into the right IDE port on the motherboard. In my case I have four (that's a possible support of 8 drives :thumbs-upSmile. 2 Channels that support 133 bus speed and 2 Channels that support 100/66/33.

- QuickStop - 03-15-2003

Quote:On a side note, Check to see if you have it plugged into the right IDE port on the motherboard.
its plugged into the same IDE cable as the first hard drive.
Quote:What you say here is that windows detects it. So if you go into My computer, is it shown there as another drive? If it is you should be able to format it.
it doesnt show up as a drive under my computer, but it does show up under the hardware manager

- Weird NJ - 03-15-2003

it has to be partitioned then, as in, you have to create a drive on your drive. I couldn't find the FDISK command on the current hard drive so you can try partitioning from a Windows boot disk or maybe from the Windows CD. Are you using XP?

- QuickStop - 03-15-2003

I AM THE SMARTEST MAN ALIVE!

fucking gay company neglects to notify you that the software that comes packaged is the chocolate syrup equivalent of Bosco. i had to download new software from their site and i now have a whopping 114 gigs of free space motherfuckers!

- Weird NJ - 03-15-2003

nice.. good job