CDIH
Networking Issue - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Networking Issue (/showthread.php?tid=5647)

- Keyser Soze - 03-17-2003

I've got this application here at work that pushes out a file to another machine. The machine A runs the application and it is mapped to the machine B. Both machines are logged in with the same user account and the mapped drive is logged in with that account as well.

Now heres the problem. Whenever the application tries to push that file out its getting a 'permission denied' error. I can't seem to figure out why.

Any suggesstions? The machine A, running the application, is NT4 and the other machine, machine B, is Win 2K.

- Jack - 03-17-2003

Win 2k uses folder permissions. It is something that is also a part of Windows XP. There is a way around it, but I don't recall off the top of my head how to do so.

yes, i gave that user full access permission to the folder it is trying to place the file into.

- Ronin - 03-17-2003

i have never been able to map a drive from win2k to nt 4..
maybe remap the drives. have you tried manually to puch the file.. why not just make the second machine an ftp server and push the file that way?

mapping works fine through the gui, in other words, i can click on the drive in explorer and access it. its when i tried scripting it to push the file out that i ran into the problem.

is there a simple way to script it to push it via FTP?

- Ronin - 03-17-2003

the other box has to be an ftp server though.. so it has to have some software, like WarFTP or something like that. It's free from download.com.

the ftp scripting is very simple.. it would be like this:
ftp -n 127.0.0.1 "greater than sign"EOF
user userid password
ascii
cd c:\destination directory
put my.file
quit
EOF

Have you tried manually putting a file on the mapped drive? Are you using DFS/NFS or something?
Also, check the permissions on the destination file. If it already exists, it might be read-only.

manually it works. i'm not sure if i'm using DFS/NFS, how can i check? permission are all access, everyone, all permissions.

- DGW - 03-17-2003

you know what i would do?

call my help desk

i think it has more to do with how the script it written to push the file out than the way ive got the boxes networked. i've called the people who wrote the script and i'm waiting to hear back from them.

- Jack - 03-17-2003

Write a batch file to execute after the process is done. You will have better luck using Dos to copy the file I think.

Something like:
Code:
@echo=off
c:\
cd\
cd \path\to\file
copy file.ext z:\path\on\server
cls
exit
Where z: is your mapped drive.

- Keyser Soze - 03-18-2003

Finally got the thing to work.

The problem was at the NT services level.

This program uses a thing called a spawner, which runs as an NT service, i had to give the user that is logged in specific permission to run that service in order for it to work.