CDIH
How far are we from living in a police state? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: How far are we from living in a police state? (/showthread.php?tid=5712)

Pages: 1 2

- Sir O - 03-21-2003

Right now, the "terrorist threat alert" is at Level 4, Orange. It's entirely possible, and I'd even say probable, that in the near future we'll be looking at a Level 5, or Red. So what does that mean?

From the Homeland Security site-
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/03/20020312-5.html">http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases ... 312-5.html</a><!-- m -->

Quote:Severe Condition (Red). A Severe Condition reflects a severe risk of terrorist attacks. Under most circumstances, the Protective Measures for a Severe Condition are not intended to be sustained for substantial periods of time. In addition to the Protective Measures in the previous Threat Conditions, Federal departments and agencies also should consider the following general measures in addition to the agency-specific Protective Measures that they will develop and implement:

-Increasing or redirecting personnel to address critical emergency needs;

-Assigning emergency response personnel and pre-positioning and mobilizing specially trained teams or resources;

-Monitoring, redirecting, or constraining transportation systems; and

-Closing public and government facilities.

And what are the states planning on doing, should a Code Red occur? Well, my state has a plan:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.southjerseynews.com/issues/march/m031603e.htm">http://www.southjerseynews.com/issues/m ... 31603e.htm</a><!-- m -->

Quote:Red alert? Stay home, await word

Sunday, March 16, 2003

By TOM BALDWIN
Gannett State Bureau
TRENTON

If the nation escalates to "red alert," which is the highest in the color-coded readiness against terror, you will be assumed by authorities to be the enemy if you so much as venture outside your home, the state's anti-terror czar says.

"This state is on top of it," said Sid Caspersen, New Jersey's director of the office of counter-terrorism.

Caspersen, a former FBI agent, was briefing reporters, alongside Gov. James E. McGreevey, on Thursday, when for the first time he disclosed the realities of how a red alert would shut the state down.

A red alert would also tear away virtually all personal freedoms to move about and associate.

"Red means all noncritical functions cease," Caspersen said. "Noncritical would be almost all businesses, except health-related."

A red alert means there is a severe risk of terrorist attack, according to federal guidelines from the Department of Homeland Security.

"The state will restrict transportation and access to critical locations," says the state's new brochure on dealing with terrorism.

"You must adhere to the restrictions announced by authorities and prepare to evacuate, if instructed. Stay alert for emergency messages."

Caspersen went further than the brochure. "The government agencies would run at a very low threshold," he said.

"The state police and the emergency management people would take control over the highways.

"You literally are staying home, is what happens, unless you are required to be out. No different than if you had a state of emergency with a snowstorm."

Except in a snowstorm, you are not "assumed by authorities to be the enemy if you so much as venture outside your home."

- GonzoStyle - 03-21-2003

The cops will be too busy breaking up protests that include people of every nationality EXCEPT for the people they are protesting for. Cause they march for peace, yet always come with violence on their minds, but they want peace.

- Sir O - 03-21-2003

Fuck the protestors. I just wanna be able to leave the house without being questioned about it.

Quote:Cause they march for peace, yet always come with violence on their minds, but they want peace.
This is true, and it's a hypocritical standpoint for sure. But there's plenty of hypocracy on both sides, don't make either side right...

- GonzoStyle - 03-21-2003

I totally agree, I am just sick of these pricks on TV talking about the struggle they face in america. These 16 year old white girls from suburbia talking about the injustices of life in america, it makes me wanna cave her skull in, I swear. These morons laying in the street "cause like war is bad and we wanna show that hundreds of thousands of iraqi civillians are dying now by the hands of the greedy capiltalist pigs in the white house."

Where are these casulaties? You're just blocking traffic, whores.

As far as being questioned when you leave the house, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you walk around without the beard, then you may look a little shady. But I doubt we will get to level 5, this war won't last another week.

- Sir O - 03-21-2003

we'll get to Level 5. Do you really think that if amd when we win this war against Iraq, there won't still be people who would die in order to attack America? The first sign of potential attack on our soil, and it's lockdown. It's all about preemptive and cautionary tactics these days. In the words of Cypress Hill, beard or no beard, "I ain't going out like that."

- Teenweek - 03-21-2003

I got out of the Port Authority this morning and right outside, there were about 10 national guardsmen with machine guns hanging out.

- Sir O - 03-21-2003

The Second Amendment means so much now...

- Teenweek - 03-21-2003

It is getting more real every day. Pretty soon Bruce Willis will take over New York City.

[Image: army.jpg]

[Image: bridge.jpg]

- Sweet Angel - 03-21-2003

This may be a dumb question, but if we go to code red it's immediate right? Like if you're at work, you stay at work. They don't give you like a 1/2 hour notice, huh? I wouldn't mind being locked down at home, but I'm not to keen on the idea of being locked down at work. No food, no blankets, nothing there.

- Sir O - 03-21-2003

Quote:I wouldn't mind being locked down at home,
I'd rather be boiled in acid.

- FollowThisLogic - 03-21-2003

I would bet that another terrorist attack will be successfully carried out before condition red is ever put into play.

- Sir O - 03-21-2003

FTL ruined it

- Ken'sPen - 03-21-2003

I thought this thread was about Jack.

- Buttmunch - 03-21-2003

I was shot and killed by the police today as they were breaking up a protest.

But, it was cool, because they were doing their jobs, and I support what we're doing in Iraq.

- Ronin - 03-21-2003

what about DJ Red Alert on the Hot 97 drive home? Does he have anything to do with this?
Is he Hot 97 actually or Power 105.1? I can't remember..

- Keyser Soze - 03-21-2003

I'm all for Red Alert. Stop bitching about actions that are being taken to protect you from danger. If they ask me to stay inside, I have no problem staying inside. Let them put my tax dollars to work.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 03-21-2003

far

- Hey Ladi - 03-21-2003

Quote:Stop bitching about actions that are being taken to protect you from danger.
and when they tap your phone, because your neighbor thought you might be making suspicious phone calls? when they open your mail?

We live in a Free State so that we won't be told what to do. I'd figured you'd be against censorship Keyser. You going to let them edit your songs too, when someone thinks it's Anti-American?

- Keyser Soze - 03-21-2003

Here we go with these conspiracy theorists.

I agree to the terms laid out previously. It says nothing about tapping phones and opening mail. Nothing really prevents them from doing that now if they can convince a judge. Don't be so naive. This isn't about 2 Live Crew, its about preventing future acts of terrorism.

- Hey Ladi - 03-21-2003

Quote:Don't be so naive
exaggerating for effect

keeping everyone on lock down is not going to work. Right after 9/11 they kept saying, "go about your business, don't let them see they've paralized us, that's what they want" .... but no, now it's ok. Everyone hid like scared rabbits, stay in your house, don't work, let's bring the Country to a standstill. :thumbs-up: great