CDIH
Movies you want to see - True story, book you read, etc. - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Movies you want to see - True story, book you read, etc. (/showthread.php?tid=583)

- IkeaBoy - 02-25-2002

What are some movies you want to see made. Whether it's a true event in history, a fiction book you read that would translate well to film, a remake or project that you heard about that never worked out?

* The Rise and Fall of Al Capone- it's an interesting story that has never been done justice in a cinematic sense. Untouchables, Scarface(s), St. Valentine's Day Massacre- none of these have been close at all of depicting the baron of Chicago.
* The Rum Diary- early Hunter S. Thompson novel I read this summer. Very good, would be a kick ass movie

- Galt - 02-25-2002

Atlas Shrugged Either as a miniseries or a 3-part movie.

They've tried it three different times, but it keeps getting fucked up. Rand wasn't a big fan of Hollywood after they apparantly botched The Fountainhead movie, so she wanted complete control and they wouldn't give it to her when Tom Selleck tried to make it into a movie in the 70s.

Then she died, and it came up again, and last year they were in the process of making the movie as a TNT miniseries, but the actors strike delayed stuff and Rand's foundation had some problems with the script and actos and shit. it was never shown last fall as initially expected, and now it's just withering on the vine and no progress has been made in over a year.

Sucks becuase I'd love to see it made.

- Arpikarhu - 02-26-2002

a movie based on the book "veronica" by nicholas christopher
or a book "lives of the monster dogs" would be great

- fbd - 02-26-2002

i would love to see the belgariad turned into a movie series.it was a great group of books, and it would look great on the screen.it'd translate like shit, but kick ass

- Sir O - 02-26-2002

Galt Wrote:Rand wasn't a big fan of Hollywood after they apparantly botched The Fountainhead movie
I caught this on PBS (I think) some time last year. It was pretty bad, almost painful to watch at times. I'm usually not a big fan of transferring classic literature to the screen, though, which is why I wasn't too impressed with FOTR, and an Atlas Shrugged movie would probably leave me more angry than entertaied.

With that said, I like Ikea's idea of a Capone biopic, or really just about any notorious criminal. Manson, Dahmer, Gacy, or maybe a Pablo Escobar film.

Or how about Columbine: The Movie? I'm laughing already thinking how cheesy it would be...

- IkeaBoy - 02-26-2002

Sir O Wrote:With that said, I like Ikea's idea of a Capone biopic, or really just about any notorious criminal. Manson
I can't believe this slipped my mind. A Helter SKelter movie all out, fuck the MPAA. But it's probably "too soon."

I've been reading books on Dillinger and Pretty Boy Floyd as I mentioned once or twice and we already know the era is great for a film (see: O Brother) and these personalities were some of the biggest celebrities around at this time.

And, of course, if you're making a movie based on Son of Sam it should not focus around John Leguizamo.

- GonzoStyle - 02-26-2002

IkeaBoy Wrote:* The Rise and Fall of Al Capone- it's an interesting story that has never been done justice in a cinematic sense. Untouchables, Scarface(s), St. Valentine's Day Massacre- none of these have been close at all of depicting the baron of Chicago.
I agree Ikea, Did you read 'Al capone: The Man & The Times' By Lawrence Bergmann, in my opinion the definitive bio on Capone, bar none.

I do have to say the closest any movie has come to being pretty factual is "Al Capone", it's not the best film but Rod Steiger is Al capone in that film.

Scarface was loosely based on capone but it was never intended to be a bio. (The 1932 version not the 1983 version)

I spent years reading mob bio's. If You really want a good character to study definetly go with Meyer Lansky for the brains there's a great bio on Lanksky called "Little Man"

Definetly the man who created the mob as we know it today Charles 'Lucky' Luciano and Louis Lepke Buchalter who was head of 'Murder Inc.'

Edited By GonzoStyle on Feb. 26 2002 at 12:53