CDIH
Best "never saw it coming" ending to a movie! - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Best "never saw it coming" ending to a movie! (/showthread.php?tid=645)

Pages: 1 2

- GonzoStyle - 03-01-2002

Remember watching a film and figuring great it's just gonna be the same 'hollywood' happy fuckin ending, where everyone is happy and the bad guy gets his in the end, bullshit. Then you get totally blown away by the ending of the film. Now it has to be the ending, a mindfuck twist that happens 45 minutes before the film ends doesn't count. Also it has to be something that you could not see coming. It can't be just a great finale to a film like scarface or the wild bunch.

Here's my top 5.

1. The Usual Suspects.
2. The Sixth Sense
3. Se7en
4. The Manchurian Candidate
5. Primal Fear

notable mentions:
Planet Of The Apes (1968), Memento, Arlington Road, Fight Club.

- Maynard - 03-01-2002

I'll have to agree with most of those Gonzo.

Arlington Road
Sixth Sense
Se7en

- SLASH - 03-01-2002

Pay It Foward - Fucking hysterically great ending

The Pledge - I know Gonzypoo, my love, you didn't like the movie.

Swimming With Sharks

The Last Supper ('95)

I will think of more later.

Maynard Wrote:I'll have to agree with most of those Gonzo.

Arlington Road
Haven't seen arlington road yet though, was it as good as I hear?

Quote:Pay It Foward - Fucking hysterically great ending

Too bad Jay Mohr didn't die as well.

Edited By GonzoStyle on Mar. 01 2002 at 12:55

- Doc - 03-01-2002

Se7en - Without a fucking doubt

Alternate Ending to Clerks

The Others

- Galt - 03-01-2002

The Last Supper. Great great flick, and great ending...

Braveheart surprised me. I had no knowledge of the story, and I was just positive that he would somehow get saved.

Magnolia. Fucking frogs?

think of more later....

- Cap'n Fudge - 03-01-2002

Who would ever think "Frog's should start raining from the heavens about now"?
All time, the biggest twist has got to be Rosebud being a freaking sled.

- criticslovesnatch - 03-01-2002

The usual suspects

The sixth sense (even though the ending was ruined for me before i saw it)

Unbreakable

Memento

- Arpikarhu - 03-01-2002

Maynard Wrote:I'll have to agree with most of those Gonzo.

Arlington Road
Sixth Sense
Se7en
i agree with these. arlington was the biggest mind fuck at the end.
the game was another mindfuck

- IkeaBoy - 03-01-2002

If you want to talk dark endings how can you not mention Kubrick's DR. STRANGELOVE.

In The Company of Men was pretty dark too.

- Keyser Soze - 03-01-2002

All of these are excellent picks, although I have yet to see In The Company Of Men. I'd add "The Others" to this list.

- Doc - 03-01-2002

<center>Cellophane
Mister Cellophane
Shoulda been my name
Mister Cellophane
'Cause you can look right through me
Walk right by me
And never know I'm there!
</center>

- IkeaBoy - 03-01-2002

A couple more:
Terry Gilliam's Brazil had a shocker of an ending.
Terry Gilliam's Time Bandits had another dark ending.

Godfather 3- Michael falls off a chair and a small dog eats his hat. What an awful ending to the trilogy. That was the ending right

- Banana_juice - 03-01-2002

the sixth sense
fight club (yes i was dumb enough not to realize it was the same guy)
unbreakable
usual suspects

Edited By Banana_juice on Mar. 01 2002 at 3:21

Doc Wrote:<center>Cellophane
Mister Cellophane
Shoulda been my name
Mister Cellophane
'Cause you can look right through me
Walk right by me
And never know I'm there!
</center>
I just didn't like the movie so I didn't really care about the ending but I will agree it was twisted.

I'll damn sure agree with Dr Strangelove though.

If you mention Strangelove though you have to mention 'Fail-Safe' The old Henry Fonda version not the made for TV bullshit.

Edited By GonzoStyle on Mar. 01 2002 at 3:33

- Doc - 03-01-2002

Quote:I just didn't like the movie so I didn't really care about the ending but I will agree it was twisted.

Uh, that was just some song lyrics from Mr. Cellophane from the Broadway show Chicago. I was just trying to make a funny about how Keyser totally ignored my earlier shit.

I quoted a Broadway showtune....ugh...I should really just hand in my penis to the proper authorities Rolleyes

Speaking of Dr Stranglelove, I think half of the Stanley Kubrick joints out there fall into this catagory

- Galt - 03-01-2002

How about that movie where Tom Cruise played the young cocky guy, with all the talent in the world, but he was so arrogant that you never thought he was going ot reach his potential. But then right at the end, he learned a valueable lesson and it changed is perspective and approach to life. I didn't see that one coming.

Or that movie with Freddie Prinz Junior (the one with three words in the title) where he and his girlfriend made an unlikely duo, everything was going great, but then that things suddenly happened and it almost completely tore them apart. I thought for sure they were done, but then right at the end, the patched things up. I was dumbfounded.<font color=#EEEEEE >

Edited By Galt on Mar. 01 2002 at 5:00

Doc Wrote:
Quote:I just didn't like the movie so I didn't really care about the ending but I will agree it was twisted.

Uh, that was just some song lyrics from Mr. Cellophane from the Broadway show Chicago. I was just trying to make a funny about how Keyser totally ignored my earlier shit.

I quoted a Broadway showtune....ugh...I should really just hand in my penis to the proper authorities Rolleyes

Speaking of Dr Stranglelove, I think half of the Stanley Kubrick joints out there fall into this catagory
Sorry I thought that was a quote from 'Unbreakable'

- Doc - 03-02-2002

Quote:Sorry I thought that was a quote from 'Unbreakable'

Oh, OK...I actually haven't seen that movie yet.

A buddy of mine saw it in the theatre, I asked him how it was, and he said it should have just been called "The Seventh Sense", so now I'm waiting on HBO to give me my fill of pop culture

Edited By Doc on Mar. 02 2002 at 11:51

- GonzoStyle - 03-02-2002

Doc Wrote:
Quote:Sorry I thought that was a quote from 'Unbreakable'

Oh, OK...I actually haven't seen that movie yet.

A buddy of mine saw it in the theatre, I asked him how it was, and he said it should have just been called "The Seventh Sense", so now I'm waiting on HBO to give me my fill of pop culture
It was ok but it was totally overblown as being some masterpiece. The movie drags majorly in the middle for me, but Samuel L Jackson does give a noteworthy performance.