CDIH
First mistake was not realizing he's Tommy Chong.. - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: First mistake was not realizing he's Tommy Chong.. (/showthread.php?tid=7405)

Pages: 1 2

- Danked - 09-17-2003

his second mistake was pleading guilty rather than hiring a better lawyer and fighting the charge.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm....bongs_3">http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm....bongs_3</a><!-- m -->

Tommy Chong Sentenced on Drug Charges
Thu Sep 11, 3:59 PM ET
By DAN NEPHIN, Associated Press Writer

PITTSBURGH - Tommy Chong (news), who played one half of the dope-smoking duo in the Cheech and Chong movies, asked for leniency from a judge Thursday but was sentenced to nine months in prison for conspiring to sell drug paraphernalia.

Chong's attorneys argued for no jail time, saying the actor and comedian would use his celebrity to become a role model against drugs and would dedicate his life to public service.

The 65-year-old apologized to the court and his family, saying he "got carried away" with his movie character. He admitted once having "a drug problem with marijuana" but said he beat it by redirecting his energy to salsa dancing.

"It's a Latin American dance that's awesome," Chong told U.S. District Judge Arthur J. Schwab before the judge imposed the sentence, which included a $20,000 fine.

Chong said he's been working with youth groups, teaching filmmaking and speaking against drug use.

When they "saw that I was not the character that I played in the movies, they were surprised. Some were disappointed," Chong said.

But Assistant U.S. Attorney Mary Houghton said Chong grew wealthy glamorizing drug use and trivializing law enforcement in his films of the late 1970s and early '80s. Houghton also said Chong used the movie persona to promote his catalog and Internet business.

Chong admitted that his company, which operated as Chong Glass and employed 25 glass blowers, sold some 7,500 bongs and pipes until Feb. 14, when federal drug agents raided his California home and business. Authorities also seized about a pound of marijuana.

Richard G. Hirsch, one of Chong's attorneys, urged Schwab not to punish the actor for his films. "The government is asking you to blur the distinction between reality and satire," he said.

Chong's attorneys said the actor already has been punished: The case cost him a recurring role on the Fox sitcom "That '70s Show" and a planned reunion movie with Cheech Marin (news), with whom he co-starred in comedies including "Up in Smoke" and "Nice Dreams."

Along with the fine, Chong must forfeit more than $103,000. He'll also be on probation for a year after his release. The business, though defunct, was placed on probation for three years and its Internet domain name must be relinquished to federal authorities, along with any remaining paraphernalia.

Chong was allowed to remain free until federal prison officials tell him in a few weeks where to report to prison. He pleaded guilty May 13 to conspiring to sell drug paraphernalia and pleaded guilty on behalf of his business.

The plea came after federal Drug Enforcement Administration agents bought his paraphernalia and had the items shipped to an undercover business in Beaver Falls, northwest of Pittsburgh. Agents also confiscated his company's wares during raids of "head shops" in several states and confiscated "thousands of marijuana bongs and pipes" in a raid of his Gardena, Calif., business.

- GonzoStyle - 09-17-2003

Yeah seriously man, Cheech was the whole show anyway.

- Danked - 09-17-2003

Psssssh. He never made me want to watch Nash Bridges.

But I did see every straight-to-video Tommy Chong movie.

Cheech was oscar worthy in Desperado.

- Danked - 09-17-2003

Never saw it and now I refuse to.

- Hybrid - 09-17-2003

he was in paulie too

there was a reason they were billed as; CHEECH... and chong

that's all I gotta say.

- Danked - 09-17-2003

Alphabetical. Simple as that.

Chongs only worthwhile contribution in life was Rae Dawn Chong.

- Danked - 09-17-2003

I hate you.

oh.....dude.....i'm....high....

HAHAHAHAHA COMIC GENIUS!!!

Give it up, chong was dead weight.

- Danked - 09-17-2003

I see...

Say no more. :36:

- Danked - 09-17-2003

Oh, and I want my CD mixes back. The ones that I poured so much love for you into. :16:

- Goatweed - 09-17-2003

Chong was good on That 70's Show...but Cheech was was true star out of the two.

That's what you get for breaking my heart in the stoner forum.

and the cd mixes are mine.

- Danked - 09-17-2003

Of course the Misty's gag was about you. I was just trying to prove that he couldn't stay away!

the cd's are mine, stay away!!!!

- drusilla - 09-17-2003

Danked Wrote:Never saw it and now I refuse to.
i saw that & el mariachi on friday night. both quality flicks.

don't forget about cheech playing three different roles in from dusk til dawn

- HedCold - 09-18-2003

GonzoStyle Wrote:the cd's are mine, stay away!!!!
want me to send you the mixes he sent me?
that'll really show him