CDIH
Favorite character actors - Tribute to the unsung guys - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Favorite character actors - Tribute to the unsung guys (/showthread.php?tid=781)

Pages: 1 2

- slackjaw - 03-14-2002

Ok, we all know those superstars, the leading men and ladies that get all the acclaim, but what about the supporting actors? Some of the best actors and actresses in Hollywood are characters actors. Guys that rarely get a leading role, yet are great in everything they are in. Ok, well not everything, but I think you know what I mean.

Sometimes an entire movie can be "made" by the guy or gal that was the "sidekick" so to speak. Of course, there are those who can go either way, leading man/ lady, or supporting roles. Now, what you really have to admire is the guy that has made an entire career out of secondary roles. Sometimes you won't even remember his name, but you always remember his characters.

I thought we'd have a little fun, and pay tribute to those unsung actors and actresses that have made some of our favorite films that much better. To be a "great" character actor, you need more than one great film, more than one super performance, I think you need a bit of repeatability. That being said, this is how we will play. List 3 quotes, from 3 different movies, and 3 different characters (this will eliminate a guy who may have been great in the same role in 4 sequels). One of you other geniuses will have to come up with the actors name.... shouldn't be too hard, but hey, I gotta make you work a little.

Now, I am not going to start with my all time favorite character actor, I'll let one of you pay homage. But here's my first.

Dudley "Booger" Dawson, Revenge of the Nerds
" I thought it was my mom's old douchebag, but that's in Ohio"

Miles, Risky Business,
" Sometimes you just gotta say...What the fuck?"

Charles DeMar, Better Off Dead
"This is pure snow! Do you know what the street value of this mountain is?"

Ok, have at it kiddies.

- Arthur Dent - 03-14-2002

OK, here's two.

The weaselly guy in The Mummy
Heroine: "You know what happens to weasely little lackies like you? They always get it in the end!"
Weasely Guy: nervously"The..They do?"
Heroine: "Yes, they do."

Michael Irons in every role. The bad guy you love to hate.

- IkeaBoy - 03-14-2002

Ian Holm.

- SLASH - 03-14-2002

Steve Buscemi

- Sean Cold - 03-14-2002

Delroy Lindo.

The guy is fuckin great. I thought he was the only saving grace in The One and Get Shorty. He is in tons of shit and I still have eye buggers and can't think all too well.

- SLASH - 03-14-2002

As long as our African-American brothers are being included...

Keith David (I)

Men At Work ('90)
Requeim for a Dream ('00)

- Spitfire - 03-14-2002

definitely Steve Bucemi
Cameron from Ferris Bueller

-Jason Lee
-Jack Black, lots of small roles where he stands out
-Kurtwood Smith (had to look that up) - now Red on That 70s show, I'll always remember him as the bad guy from Robocop.
-Miguel Ferrer, also in Robocop, The Stand and Traffic, makes a good bad guy
-John Malkovich, he even got to play himself, can play killer supporting roles and great bad guys
-Alan Rickman - sheriff of Nottingham, bad guy in Die Hard, angel in Dogma
Joan Cusack

Edited By Spitfire on Mar. 14 2002 at 10:01

- Buttmunch - 03-14-2002

Slackjaw, I don't understand the rules of this game, so I'll just throw a couple of names out.

Gedde Watanabe (Long Duc Dong)

Cheech Marin/Tommy Chong (I love when these guys pop up)

Tom Arnold

- SLASH - 03-14-2002

Quote:Joan Cusack

Yes, she was excellent in Arlington Road.

Crispin Glover

- Spitfire - 03-14-2002

oops, think we fucked up Slackjaw's thread ...sorry Sad

- Galt - 03-14-2002

List of unsung character actors..

Hey, it's THAT guy!

- SLASH - 03-14-2002

Juliette Lewis's father Geoffrey Lewis.

Most notable for being in Clint Eastwood movies.

- Buttmunch - 03-14-2002

Frank Oz

Brian Doyle Murray

Alfred Hitchcock

- IkeaBoy - 03-14-2002

Jon Polito
Does John Cazale count?

- SLASH - 03-14-2002

Joe Pantoliano

- Keyser Soze - 03-14-2002

Dennis Farina in Snatch, Midnight Run, and Get Shorty

- slackjaw - 03-14-2002

Ok... glad to see everybody played by the rules for so long....lol. Buscemi is my personal favorite, but you guys have some great ones listed too. Delroy Lindo, Joey Pants, Joan Cusack, and many others!

- shotgirl - 03-15-2002

John Malkovich (especially his roles as Cyrus the Virus in ConAir and himself in Being John Malkovich)
Bill Murray
Steve Buscemi
Robert DeNiro
(ok, so i'm not really playing by the rules.)

Edited By shotgirl on Mar. 14 2002 at 8:58

- The Sleeper - 03-15-2002

Greatest cast in movie history: All Character actors

Harvey Keitel
Steve Buscemi
Tim Roth
Chris Penn
Lawrence Tierney
Michael Madsen

Do I really need to name the movie?

- slackjaw - 03-15-2002

But then again, Usual Suspects could rival that cast. If we count Kevin Spacey, who is one of those both ways kinda actors, those too casts stack up pretty tight for the all time greatest character actor lineup.