CDIH
Thought you all might be interested - But i dont care if you are not - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Thought you all might be interested - But i dont care if you are not (/showthread.php?tid=801)

- Arpikarhu - 03-15-2002

Super Bowl dreams? Not for Henson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Bob Klapisch
Special to ESPN.com

TAMPA, Fla. -- Drew Henson won't bother to camouflage the truth. The former Michigan quarterback still experiences a rush of adrenaline every time he watches the NFL on TV, and the Super Bowl -- which provided a national stage for Tom Brady, his teammate with the Wolverines -- was in his blood this year.

Nevertheless, this Yankee-in-training says he's sticking to baseball. That means today, tomorrow and as far into the future as Henson can gaze. He won't be playing third base in the Bronx in 2002 -- at least not before the September callups -- but he still feels he made the right decision in choosing pinstripes over football.

Drew Henson
Third Base
New York Yankees

2001 SEASON STATISTICS - AAA
GM HR RBI OBP SLG AVG
71 11 38 .249 .367 .222

"I definitely know I'm in the right place, because now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel," Henson said the other day. "I'm finally starting to make the kind of progress that I wanted."

It hasn't been an entirely pleasant ride since Henson accepted the Yankees' six-year, $17 million contract last season, bolting his final year as Michigan quarterback and bypassing the NFL, where he could have been the No. 1 overall pick in this year's draft. The money officially severed Henson's bond with football, and in exchange, the Yankees believed they were inheriting the third baseman of the future -- a player projected to evolve into, say, Scott Rolen.

But at 6-5, 222 pounds, Henson discovered the size and muscle that served him so well on the gridiron didn't necessarily equate to grace on the baseball diamond -- specifically at third base, where Henson made 16 errors in 71 games last year at Triple-A Columbus. His performance at the plate was only slightly better; Henson batted just .222 with 11 homers in 270 at-bats and struck out 85 times.

The Yankees were relieved when Henson hit .314 in last year's Arizona Fall League, finishing in the league's top five in extra-base hits, slugging percentage and RBI. Still, the club realized it had probably rushed Henson too quickly in 2001 (he had played just 65 games at Double-A), and when Scott Brosius unexpectedly retired after the World Series, the Yankees were unanimously opposed to naming Henson as the immediate successor.

Instead, the Yankees completed a rare trade with the Mets for Robin Ventura, who's presumably just one year away from retirement, and will spend that time acting as third base's guardian. The Yankees are hopeful that by 2003, with another summer in the International League, Henson will finally be ready for his Bronx unveiling.

"His swing's gotten better, his plate discipline's gotten better, and his defense has gotten a lot better," said Mark Newman, the club's senior vice president for baseball operations. "He is very bright, and he's a quick study. The most stunning thing about him is how much he's improved with how little he's played."

The Yankees are certain of this much: Henson has the poise and maturity to handle New York's energy, perhaps the single greatest dividend of having played in front of huge crowds at Michigan. Henson learned years ago how to focus despite what he calls "the wall of noise" that 100,000 fans can create -- a skill that will come in handy at Yankee Stadium some day.

Henson threw for 2,146 yards and 18 TDs in 2000.

Still, Henson is humble enough to admit that baseball's subtleties can sometimes be overwhelming, even for a gifted two-sport star. For instance, Henson still has trouble staying sharp defensively if he goes several innings without a groundball, which is why he confesses, "This game can definitely humble you. One day you think you've got it figured out, and the next day, you can do everything wrong, like you've never played before."

For that reason, Henson has spent countless hours in camp with infield coach Willie Randolph and guest instructor Graig Nettles, the former Gold Glove third baseman. And when Henson needs advice in the batting cage, he can choose from several links to the Yankees' past, including Don Mattingly.

These perks are part of the psychological cushion that keeps Henson from having second thoughts about the NFL. He says "I've made up my mind" to become not just a Yankee, but an important Yankee, and there are moments when the club has such high hopes that Joe Torre admits, "We really don't even know what Drew's ceiling can be."

But that doesn't mean he's turned his back on football -- or at least, cut his connection with Brady, who was the Super Bowl MVP. Henson telephoned his former Michigan teammate -- they played together in 1998 and 1999 before Henson took over as starting QB in 2000 -- prior to and after the Patriots' victory over the Rams, offering congratulations to his friend.

Henson said "it was great to watch that game" but if he's even slightly envious of the louder, faster life Brady is now leading, he isn't showing it. Instead, Henson says, "All we do is talk about football, about the differences in the sports, things like that. Naturally, I'm interested what it's like in the NFL. I'm a fan, and always will be."

Enough to deliver one last, perfect spiral ... just for fun?

Henson shook his head and said he hasn't thrown a football in about a year. But he still has one at home, and with a smile, says, "I like to flip it around now and then."

- The Sleeper - 03-15-2002

Quote:But i dont care if you are not
Liar

Oh, and gay

- Keyser Soze - 03-16-2002

Why don't you just admit you fucked him in the ass already.

- boodadude - 03-16-2002

Quote:TAMPA, Fla. -- Drew Henson won't bother to camouflage the truth " I met a man and were in love" I have been looking for a soulmate who's dick isn't big enough to hurt me.
Henson shook his head and said he hasn't had anal in about a year. But he still gets some at home, and with a smile, says, "I like to flip Arpi over now and then."

- DGW - 03-16-2002

Quote:Henson shook his head and said he hasn't had anal in about a year. But he still gets some at home, and with a smile, says, "I like to flip Arpi over now and then."

Was that the sound of prison lube I heard being applied?