CDIH
Retirement - is a meaningless word - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Retirement - is a meaningless word (/showthread.php?tid=8238)

- The Jays - 01-12-2004

Quote:Clemens Can't Stay Away
So much for retirement. Roger Clemens has agreed to a one-year, $5 million contract to pitch for the Astros, joining friend and former Yankee Andy Pettitte in the Houston rotation.

- Goatweed - 01-12-2004

does he have to give the Hummer back?

- Galt - 01-12-2004

I am so happy that this leaves open the potential for him to suffer a serious injury.

- Goatweed - 01-12-2004

I wonder if Steinbrenner is gonna faint again.

- x-file - 01-12-2004

Thats exactly why he signed with the astros, Pettitte gave him a hummer...... Disgraciad

- Austin - 01-12-2004

God I'm hoping he has a disasterous season and retires again, with a 5.00+ era and less than 10 wins while on the DL.

There are a few things that really irk me about this whole damn thing, not even that he jerked the yankees around and came out of retirement, more that he jerked the fans around.
Clemens' last game in Boston, where he got the final ovation, that was as classy as you will ever see out of that city, along with his final game in Florida, where he left with the strike out and the standing ovation in the world series. Come on, why tarnish all of that by going back on it?

- HollywoodJewMoses - 01-12-2004

i could give you 5 million reasons why.

- GonzoStyle - 01-12-2004

why would Jordan wanna play for the wizards after such a perfect ending in 98?

- The Sleeper - 01-12-2004

Why would Barry Sanders wanna....oh wait, he was the only one who actually stayed retired.

- HedCold - 01-12-2004

he wanted to play in the olympics but now america is out of it. so its not like he didn't want to play. it still is lame though. at least he'll have to bat this time around

- GonzoStyle - 01-13-2004

Barry Sanders, Sandy Koufax & Jim Brown are about the only ones who come to mind who really never shoulda retired when they did. Clemens has a lot more to give though he did go 17-9 but the way he dragged everyone along was shameful.

- The Jays - 01-13-2004

Good new for Fox. They get to hype up their baseball programming as Roger Clemens competes in his last regular baseball season ever.... again.

- The Sleeper - 01-13-2004

didn't koufax have really bad arthritis or something?

Yeah over the last 3 years of his career he dealt with gruesome pain everytime he pitched. When Koufax set what was then a Major League record 382 strikeouts, his left arm would swell to the size of his leg. Prior to each start, Koufax "treated" his arm with with an ointment so hot, it seared his skin. After each game he dipped his permanently bowed left arm into a tub of freezing ice-water.

He was unfortunatly forced into retirement after one of his greatest seasons, so yeah he didn't want to retire but I meant he did so at the peak of his career, if he had hit it yet.

Brown & Sanders are better examples but even they both retired waaaaaaaaaaay to soon, while on such streaks. Sanders is the worst because atleast Brown at the time had already achieved the all time rushing record. Sanders was more like a baseball player coming into the league and in a little over a decade hitting 700 home runs and then retiring.

- QuickStop - 01-13-2004

at least people will never have to say "he sucked at the end of his career"

But they can say he had a girls name.

- QuickStop - 01-13-2004

he sure did

sandy, hahahaha!!!

- Keyser Soze - 01-13-2004

Sandy
Can?t you see I?m in misery
We made a start