CDIH
Please fix this - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Please fix this (/showthread.php?tid=8341)

Pages: 1 2

- Galt - 01-24-2004

So, I have some kind of fucked up Internet Explorer.

I don't know how it happened, I can't tell you the last time I actually downloaded something with this computer, but anyway...

I go to a site, and then the site half loads and moves to a "Page cannot be displayed site", but it's not the typical Microsoft one. It's obviously some other company.

So I try again, and the same thing happens. This time, I see it load the page...say "done" in the bottom left hand corner, and then connet against to 127.0.0.1.

Not only that, but then my home page is somehow magically changed to some fucked up differeing shit than my normal home page.

I've tried to uninstall/reinstall explorer and it tells me I have a newer version than what's on microsoft.com...which is odd.

And don't bother telling me to get Netscape (I have it; it sucks), Opera, or any of those other browsers. They are all shitty.

- Arpikarhu - 01-24-2004

opera is actually faster and better than IE

- Galt - 01-24-2004

I downloaded it once. It sucked. I give up. IE or nothing.

- Arpikarhu - 01-24-2004

your fear of all things new and your inability to grasp new technology leaves you screwed

- Kid Afrika - 01-24-2004

oh yeah, download a browser that is completely seperate from your OS... that's the solution.

Personally, I would delete the Temporary Internet Files folder. Then, I would clear the history. If that didn't work, then I would download Window Washer to be sure to get rid of all the temporary internet files. After that, I would run Norton System Works to check for Windows errors. After all of that, I would kick Arpi in the nuts just for good measure.

- Mad - 01-24-2004

Spybot Search & Destroy.

Download it and run it. You'll speed up your browser and get rid of a whole shit load of useless spyware.

- Goatweed - 01-24-2004

I concur with k1d - I'd also run Adaware and/or Spybot just in case some kind of spyware got installed and is fucking around with your browser settings.

- Mad - 01-24-2004

EasyCleaner is a small program which searches Windows' registry for entries that are pointing nowhere.

This also another good, free and easy program to use.

You mean to say that there are actually programs that cost money?

- The Sleeper - 01-24-2004

MOVED TO UBER GEEK FORUM

- Goatweed - 01-24-2004

well done!!!

I was too lazy to be bothered.

- Gooch - 01-24-2004

Did you inform Galt that it was being moved. He likes to be informed as he fucks up his computer with spyware & viruses.

- HedCold - 01-24-2004

please explain why an internet explorer seperate from your operating system is a bad thing? you say it all the time but it makes no sense.
it works just as fast with more features and is less prone to alot of shit.

Having your browser integrated to your OS allows you to do things like drag pictures straight from the browser to a folder. Shell integration allows you to open a webpage from any address bar or run menu. You can tell me all day long that other browsers are faster, but I still say with a fast computer and a broadband connection it doesn't matter.

I've tried Mozilla, and I didn't like it at all. I have opera and IE on my iMac in my office and I prefer IE there too.

Besides, I just hate the cop-out that Micro$oft is the root of all problems. Go to Linux or Mac and you'll have no problems. You'll also have no good software.

- diceisgod - 01-24-2004

Switch out your internets

- Galt - 01-24-2004

Looked like Easy Cleaner cost $20 to me.

- Mad - 01-24-2004

Really? I didn't pay a thing for it. No email address or anything else, just download and go.

- HedCold - 01-24-2004

it has nothing to do with me hating microsoft, because i don't. there are just alot more problems caused from using ie because people are out to fuck it up. if you know what you're doing to avoid that stuff than its not that much of a big deal
using some of the other browsers protects you from a lot of shit without having to get some other program to run all of the time in the background. i'm not saying its faster, i don't know of any test results actually proving that, although there are probably are some. all i know is its just as fast and i like the extra features. it does basically everything i need ie to do and more, and when i have to use ie for stuff like accessing things on my schools website to register for classes, i just open that instead.

and btw, with mozilla you can drag a picture from the browser to another folder. i just did

- The Sleeper - 01-25-2004

clicking "save picture as" is WAY TOO TIME CONSUMING

- HedCold - 01-25-2004

obviously