CDIH
Yankees now need a 3b - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Yankees now need a 3b (/showthread.php?tid=8358)

Pages: 1 2

- PeterDragon - 01-26-2004

Seems Aaron boone lubs those January pick up Basketball games more than his career.Tom Verducci of SI- Aaron Boone could be out all year

Now will George blow a gasket, or did he arrange for someone to take him out?

- Goatweed - 01-27-2004

I didn't really care for Boone all that much, so maybe this opens up a positive door for the Yankees this offseason.

It serves his dumbass right, since basketball was SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED as an activity he shouldn't be partaking in.

Oh, and fuck Drew ".234" Henson.

- Austin - 01-27-2004

Figures. The fuckup of the Claussen trade comes full circle.

I say bring back Charlie Hayes.

- Arpikarhu - 01-27-2004

no free agent 3rd basemen either

- Keyser Soze - 01-27-2004

Mets should trade them Zeile for an outfielder.

- x-file - 01-27-2004

If hayes can't be picked up, I say go for Greg Nettles or Mike Pagliarulo

- Arpikarhu - 01-27-2004

move jeter to third and trade for a-rod

- diceisgod - 01-27-2004

Sign Roger Dorn

- Bloody Anus - 01-27-2004

I will laugh endlessly when they get Jose Hernandez.

- Keyser Soze - 01-27-2004

Jeter would not be the one doing the moving if it came down to signing A-Rod.

- Paper Boy - 01-27-2004

DIG made me laugh.

- PeterDragon - 01-28-2004

Well, according to Newsday the Yankees made a secret move to sign Tyler Houston, a Larry Bowa reject, to a minor league deal.

- drusilla - 01-29-2004

sheffield offered to play 3b, but there was no word on the yanks reaction

- Arpikarhu - 01-29-2004

they signed tyler houston. sheffield played 3rd base when he was with the brewers

- drusilla - 01-29-2004

i know. that was like 12 years ago. i'm guessing thats why they didn't go for it & signed houston

- Keyser Soze - 01-29-2004

Zeile finalizes $1 million, one-year deal with Mets

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer
January 28, 2004
NEW YORK (AP) -- Todd Zeile had no interest in going back to the Bronx.

The infielder, who finalized his $1 million, one-year contract with the New York Mets on Wednesday, wouldn't have spoken to the Yankees even if he had known an opening would develop at third base.

Following Aaron Boone's knee injury, the Yankees are thinking over their replacement options.

``I have no desire to play again for that organization,'' Zeile said during a telephone conference call.

After signing with the Yankees, his 11th major league team, Zeile hit .210 with six homers and 23 RBIs in 186 at-bats. New York released him on Aug. 17, and Zeile signed with Montreal three days later, going on to bat .257 with five homers and 19 RBIs in 113 at-bats.

``I think some of the things that happen over there are different than any other organization in baseball. I have a pretty good track record to judge that,'' Zeile said, citing his numerous stops across the majors.

``Every day is potentially the end all,'' he said. ``It's whatever they need that day. It sometimes can be unsettling for people in role positions there. ... I don't really have a desire to get back into that mix.''

At times last year, Zeile thought 2003 would be his final season.

``Only because I got some renewed desire and some adrenaline and passion for the game with that Montreal did I really consider coming back for another year,'' he said. ``The move to Montreal really solidified for me the desire to continue to play. It gave me the opportunity to check out if I had anything left in the tank.''

Zeile, 38, was the Mets' starting first baseman in 2000 and 2001. He has a career batting average of .266 in 15 seasons with 244 homers and 1,075 RBIs, and on Sept. 5 last year, he became the first player to homer for 11 major league teams, connecting off Florida's Mark Redman.

In addition to his salary, Zeile can earn $500,000 in bonuses based on plateappearances.

Notes

The Mets are continuing to negotiate with the agent for free agent OF Shane Spencer, New York spokesman Jay Horwitz said, but no deal has been finalized. ... Zeile thinks the injury to Boone, hurt in a game of pickup basketball, might enable the Yankee to use the guarantee language to avoid his $5.75 million salary, or parts of it. ``If your injury is self-inflicted, then I think the team should then have the opportunity to undo that contract and look at it on the merits of what the language says. I think it's going to be tricky in particular with Aaron. I think most of the things that are put in thecontract as far as prohibitive language (are) reasonable.''

- Arpikarhu - 01-29-2004

fuck zeile! washed-up has-been. couldnt hack it with the a-squad so he had to go cross town to the minor leagues

- Keyser Soze - 01-29-2004

he's the Mets back up 3rd basemen. he would be starting for the yanks at 3rd right now over those chumps they are left with.

- HedCold - 02-01-2004

henson is going to be bought out

Henson Ready to Start Career in NFL

ESPN.com news services

Drew Henson finally got the hint, and has indicated to the Yankees that he'd like to negotiate a settlement to his baseball contract and get on with his football career.

Henson would like to settle up on the $12 million he's guaranteed over the next three years so he can pursue opportunities in the NFL. An agreement with the Yankees could be reached as soon as Monday night.

Henson, who was a sixth-round choice of the Houston Texans in last year's NFL draft, is due $2.2 million this year from the Yankees, plus $3.8 million for 2005 and $6 million for '06. That's what remains of a six-year $17 million contract he signed in 2001.

When Aaron Boone went down last week, the Yankees pointedly left Henson out of the discussion of replacements for the injured third baseman.

It's then that a light finally went on for Henson, who got the ball rolling toward a settlement, just as the Yankees are said to have hoped he'd do.

Houston, which is happy with David Carr as its quarterback, drafted Henson with the idea of signing and trading him. The Texans hold his rights until the '04 draft in April.

The early list of potential NFL trade suitors includes Buffalo, Dallas, Green Bay, Miami, Pittsburgh and -- a surprise entry -- Kansas City. Henson is planning on an invitation-only football workout for mid-February.

Henson told teams before last year's draft that he was sticking with baseball, but Houston GM Charley Casserly was undeterred.

"If Drew Henson came out when he was scheduled to, he certainly would have been a first-round pick," said Casserly.

Once he's free of his contract with the Yankees, Henson could sign with Houston and then depart in a prearranged trade to another NFL team.

Henson last played football in 2000 at Michigan, completing 61 percent of his passes for 2,146 yards and 18 touchdowns, with four interceptions.

His baseball statistics have been much less impressive. He struck out 122 times last season in Triple-A while batting .234 with 14 homers and 78 RBI, and made 28 errors.

So, this offseason, rather than playing winter baseball or working out at the Yankees' complex in Tampa, Fla., he's been in Bradenton, Fla., working on his football skills at IMG, the headquarters of his agent, Casey Close.

- Arpikarhu - 02-01-2004

Keyser Soze Wrote:he's the Mets back up 3rd basemen. he would be starting for the yanks at 3rd right now over those chumps they are left with.
name the amount, i bet you the yanks finish 20 or more games better than the mets at the end of the regular season.