CDIH
Do you use milk or dairy cream? - And if so what brand? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Do you use milk or dairy cream? - And if so what brand? (/showthread.php?tid=8441)

- The Jays - 02-06-2004

So, I get home, and log onto the computer, and begin to surf the Information Superhighway, as I always do. My home page loads, silive.com, and the one headline that caught my eye was this.

Quote:City facing potential milk crisis
Financial woes of Italian firm which controls much of metro area's supplies could have big impact here
Friday, February 06, 2004
By REGINALD PATRICK
STATEN ISLAND ADVANCE

The potential fall of dairy giant Parmalat, owner of the nation's largest milk-processing plant, could trigger widespread milk shortages on Staten Island and in other parts of the city and state, experts warn.

But the state Department of Agriculture, which has been watching the statewide milk supply since the Italian-based firm declared bankruptcy weeks ago, says it has "security measures" in place to avert any supply problems.

From Our Advertiser

"Consumers can rest assured there are an adequate number of companies serving the metro New York region to avert any shortages," said NYSDA spokeswoman Jessica Chittenden.

Parmalat, which has plants around the world, currently has what she called the "lion's share" of the milk market in the New York metropolitan region. Some industry analysts put the firm's market share at more than 50 percent.

Set up in 1961 as a small dairy in Parma, Italy, Parmalat owns the distributors Farmland Dairies (Wallington, N.J.), Welsh Farms ( West Caldwell, N.J.) and Brooklyn-based Sunnydale Farms, the largest fluid processing plant in the United States.

"There are other players in the market," Ms. Chittenden said of the region.

When asked to name a major player in the metro region not under Parmalat's control, she came up with Elmhurst Dairy.

"There's not going to be any problem," Ms. Chittenden repeated.

It is unclear whether Queens-based Elmhurst or other milk distributors are moving to increase production on the expectation that Parmalat could be on the way out. Elmhurst owner Henry Schwartz did not return a phone call seeking comment. But one staffer, who did not give his name, said Elmhurst was "not preparing to dance on Parmalat's grave."

ITALY COMES FIRST

Combined, the three Parmalat distributors Farmland, Welsh Farms and Sunnydale Farms receive over 100 million pounds of milk per month, say industry analysts, meaning they are major processors in the American milk supply chain.

Other milk distributors in the metropolitan region include Beyers Farms in Brooklyn, Hermany Farms in the Bronx and Krinos Foods in Long Island City.

Dairy industry analyst John Band believes Parmalat must focus on shoring up the Italian portion of its operation and would be more likely to consider dumping its American holdings.

"What happens to Parmalat's business outside Italy is far less of a concern to them," Band said.

In a statement last month, the firm said it plans to maintain the status quo.

But Staten Island businesses who get milk products from Parmalat's distributors believe they have reason to sit up and take note.

John Mulvey, chairman of the Staten Island Restaurant and Tavern Association, said local restaurants rely on a steady supply.

Mulvey, owner of Bridget's Public House in West Brighton, said "we go through three to four cases of milk a week" during busy weeks.

DISRUPTIONS COULD OCCUR

Local delis and small coffee shops have similar supply needs, he added.

Supermarkets on Staten Island are also locked into the supply chain.

For example, ShopRite in Port Richmond gets all its skimmed milk from Farmland Dairies, a manager at the store said.

Waldbaums Supermarket in Bulls Head relies on Farmland for its milk supplies. When asked what would happen if Farmland's supply, for whatever reason, disappeared, the manager, who declined to give his name, shot back: "We'd just have to find another supplier."

But industry experts warn that filling the gap left by the loss of a Parmalat plant would be a major disruption.

Parmalat employs 3,100 workers in the United States. To quell their fears, the company's North American division issued a statement last week saying the firm has "no plans to divest any North American assets." But many of its workers are still uneasy.

In December, Parmalat revealed a $3.95 billion hole in its books and investigators now believe it may be as much as $10 billion in the red.

New York state has set up a $5.2 million fund to pay upstate dairy farmers should Parmalat's distributors default on payments, Ms. Chittenden said.

This boggles my mind. New York is one of the top three producers of dairy products in the country. Why is the majority of our milk be handled by one company? Why are there no home grown companies that service the Tri-State area?

I just don't understand how we could be facing a milk crisis when it is one of our state's chief agricultural niches. States that don't produce milk oughta be facing a milk crisis first before we do. SInce it's in-state, there should be no taxes, tariffs, what-have-you, and we should have competing distributers.

- Black Lazerus - 02-06-2004

I drink soy milk so i don't care about this.

- The Jays - 02-06-2004

Parmalat might be the major distributor of soy milk as well.

- Black Lazerus - 02-06-2004

not the soy milk i drink i checked

- The Jays - 02-07-2004

what brand?

- Black Lazerus - 02-07-2004

Silk

- Splatterpunk - 02-07-2004

Silk, that's what I put in coffee. Yumma. The vanilla one

- The Sleeper - 02-07-2004

i never pay attention to what brand of milk i buy. they all taste the same.

- Goatweed - 02-07-2004

SILive is your home page? That's awful.

- The Jays - 02-07-2004

why? I am away from staten island, and I dont get the advance. I am always interested in the articles they have regarding overdevelopment and the high school wrestling articles.

- Goatweed - 02-07-2004

I only read the Advance on Sunday, and even then it's just for the sale papers. Worst newspaper ever.

Besides, nothing happens here - you're not missing much, dude.

- The Jays - 02-07-2004

They have articles on overdevelopment!!!

- Goatweed - 02-07-2004

yeah, but nothing's getting done about it - same article, every week.

Besides, it's kinda late to worry about it now, they've whored out as much of this island as can be whored out, I think.

- The Jays - 02-07-2004

1) The articles are always about a different aspect regarding overdevelopment.
2) There is actually alot that can be done about it.
3) Both 1 and 2 are relevant to my master's thesis.

Edited By The Jays on 1076138446

- Goatweed - 02-07-2004

well, 3 would be a good reason then - 1 & 2 are just silly.

and while there MAY be something that can still be done about it, you know not much will happen.

- The Jays - 02-07-2004

How is 3 a good reason, if 1 and 2 are just silly?

They aren't. And there are things that can be done. From my future position, as a practicing architect on Staten Island and within the Tri-State area. By providing better ideas regarding the conceptual approaches toward housing, site planning, and urban planning of both residential and commercial aspects of building on the island, the problems inherent within the current approaches toward building become more apparent, and less accepted as means toward shaping the built environment within our community.

- Splatterpunk - 02-07-2004

Wow.

- PatCooper - 02-07-2004

sometimes i'll read the advance on the weekends. But not the entire paper,just the front few pages and then i'll look for the sales.