CDIH
Dear Jews - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Dear Jews (/showthread.php?tid=8546)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Galt - 02-17-2004

What's the deal with Yarmulkes?

I mean when do they need to be warn? It appears as though some yids wear them all the time, others only wear them for certain periods of time, while others wear it like once in a blue moon. And then there are some of you who NEVER wear it. Even people I know who are pretty religious, and they never wear it.

Are there different sects that say you have to wear it, while others don't?

So
1. Why are they worn? What do they symbolize
2. What are the rules on when they are supposed to be warn? Are they warn in doors? At home? To bed?

Someone write a Jays-like post and spell it all out for me. I am honestly curious.

Edited By Galt on 1077037938

- GonzoStyle - 02-17-2004

wOrn

- Goatweed - 02-17-2004

I thought those were worn to prevent bald spots.

- Rooner - 02-17-2004

Goatweed Wrote:I thought those were worn to prevent bald spots.
Goat, you should be ashamed, and you call out my "comedic" talent?

- Black Lazerus - 02-17-2004

hahahahahaha

- theDude - 02-17-2004

They are worn as protection against splinters as we nail up another so called Messiah to the cross.

- Galt - 02-17-2004

these answers are sorely lacking in both comedy and information. At least try and provide one of the two.

Thanks.

Because the little propellers cost extra!

- Arpikarhu - 02-17-2004

they are to cover your head from the eyes of god as an act of humility. and we call them kepahs, not yarmulkes. KEE-PAHS

- Galt - 02-17-2004

I don't believe anything you say.

Arpi is correct, it's actually called a Kippah the word yarmulke loosely means "skull cap" in yiddish.

Jews cover their heads with the kippah during prayer, eating and studying as a sign of respect toward God, who is above you. Religious Jews will wear it all the time. Covering the head is more of a custom than a commandment. The hassids wear it all the time. It depends, some wear it during parayer, eating and studying others just wear it all the time for love of God. Other jews like myself who have a looser belief in the religion do not wear it. I wore it once for my barmitzvah, that was about it.

Orthodox women cover their heads some with a yarmulke as a sign of modesty, since a woman's hair is considered tempting and seductive. Most wear coverings instead of a yarmulke tho.

- Goatweed - 02-17-2004

Rooner Wrote:
Goatweed Wrote:I thought those were worn to prevent bald spots.
Goat, you should be ashamed, and you call out my "comedic" talent?
I never claimed to be funny - but I do claim to make sense when I post.

Have a great day!

- IrishAlkey - 02-17-2004

Why not just shave the womens' heads?

Some people actually do shave their heads in place of wearing the yarmulke. You'll notice them sometimes they shave everything except the curly fries on the sides.

- Black Lazerus - 02-17-2004

Hitler did

They shaved them for a differnt reason, to prevent disease.

- Goatweed - 02-17-2004

I thought he shaved their heads 'cause it made it easier for the Nazi doctors to cut open their heads when they performed medical experiments on their brains?

That was himmlers little hobby.

But there were epidemics of lice, typhus, and other diseases. Not like they had opportunity to clean them, the showers didn't actually work.

- theDude - 02-17-2004

Galt Wrote:these answers are sorely lacking in both comedy and information. At least try and provide one of the two.

Thanks.
Why don't you get on up on a cross Galty. Your full of yourself enough to think yourself the son of god. I think you would make a nifty pincushion

- Arpikarhu - 02-17-2004

Galt Wrote:I don't believe anything you say.
as is your right. :21: