CDIH
Ultimate computer system - Build your own - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: Techie Geek Forums (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Über Geek Zone (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Ultimate computer system - Build your own (/showthread.php?tid=861)

- Arthur Dent - 03-21-2002

If money weren't a consideration, what would be your ultimate computer.

Processor, harddrive, AGP card, USB?

What would you build?

- Hummercash - 03-21-2002

i know what am's response will be... a beowulf cluster Wink

- Grumpy - 03-21-2002

SGI O2 fully loaded with a 21" monitor and a full Gallaleo board attached.

*edit - I forgot to add the BOSE integrated surround sound system

Unfortunately I don't have $40,000 lying around to spend on it.

Edited By Grumpy on Mar. 21 2002 at 12:38

- Maynard - 03-21-2002

[Image: hal9000.jpg]

- LZMF1 - 03-21-2002

Grumpy Wrote:*edit - I forgot to add the BOSE integrated surround sound system

Unfortunately I don't have $40,000 lying around to spend on it.
BOSE

acronym for Box Only, Speakers Extra

- AdolescentMasturbator - 03-21-2002

Hummercash Wrote:i know what am's response will be... a beowulf cluster Wink
Yuo damn right. On second thought fuck that I want one of those Sun machines they have at nVidia labs that renders hardware in real time.

- Arthur Dent - 03-22-2002

Can you run windows and linux on a Cray II? :lol:

Beowulf? SGI O2 fully loaded with a 21" monitor and a full Gallaleo board attached.??

Alright, I am officially completely out of touch with the high-end computer market.

- Grumpy - 03-22-2002

Arthur Dent Wrote:Can you run windows and linux on a Cray II? :lol:

Beowulf? SGI O2 fully loaded with a 21" monitor and a full Gallaleo board attached.??

Alright, I am officially completely out of touch with the high-end computer market.
SGI stands for Silicon Graphics Inc. They make UNIX bases high end desktops and servers oriented towards the graphics market.

Dreamworks and other computer animation companies use clusters of them to generate movies like Shrek, Ice Age, Disney shit, etc..... Cool machines,very fast, very powerful for rendering graphics. The O2 is their desktop model.

The Gallaleo I speak of us, is a tablet drawing pad/multi-media interface board.

As for the Cray's, you can hook up a terminal to it. you have step down the Cray to a mainframe and connect to the mainframe because the Cray's processors are so fast. The older ones (pre-1990) had to be submersed in pools of liquid Freon to keep the tempature down that was generated from the processors. They were also the size of a large panel cargo van. Nice shit if you want to design fighter planes and cars from scratch. otherwise not worth investing $5 Million into them.

SGI, huh, that's a lot of power for creating sig pics. :thumbs-up:

Thanks for the info.

- AdolescentMasturbator - 03-22-2002

Or you could use a Seti@Home project for some diabolical plan. All that combined processing power is faster than today's supercomputers.

Hmmm...how do you know that's not what Seti@home IS doing, Mr. Conspiracy?

- AdolescentMasturbator - 03-22-2002

Arthur Dent Wrote:Hmmm...how do you know that's not what Seti@home IS doing, Mr. Conspiracy?
[keyser]Froy is secretly controlling Seti@home to censor everyone on teh IntarWeb[/keyser]

Actually I just meant you could use a distributed computing project for whatever you needed.

- onehung - 03-25-2002

I have a question for you experts.
Puter specs as of now:
Soyo MB k7vma
Via chipset Vt8365 north vt82c686b south bridge
Amd duron 750 processor
386 mb ram..

The motherboard is a socket 462 that supports 64/256 kb l2 onchip cache, 100/200 mhz hostbus/core speed and 200 mhz frontside bus...

I know with what I have I can upgrade to 1.5 gigs of ram, But i can't find how far I can go with a processor. I know I can go atleast to a 1.0 , But if I can move to A 1.3 I'd like to install that and be done with it.

Also, If you guys have any suggestions as to upgrading the cooling fan etc etc , it would be appreciated.

- Arthur Dent - 03-25-2002

Quote:Also, If you guys have any suggestions as to upgrading the cooling fan etc etc , it would be appreciated.

You might look into a slot fan if you've got a free slot and are having cooling problems. Sits in a PCI slot and is very good at circulating air.

If you want to spend big bucks, someone makes an actual mini-airconditioner that fits over the processor. Cooler processor=more speed. Allows overclocking without heat damage, or so I've heard.

- Keyser Soze - 03-25-2002

AdolescentMasturbator Wrote:
Arthur Dent Wrote:Hmmm...how do you know that's not what Seti@home IS doing, Mr. Conspiracy?
[keyser]Froy is secretly controlling Seti@home to censor everyone on teh IntarWeb[/keyser]

Actually I just meant you could use a distributed computing project for whatever you needed.
Hey thats what YOU told me!

- AdolescentMasturbator - 03-25-2002

I'm not sure how far that design went. I'm pretty sure it stopped at 1.2 or 1.3 ghz.

- Arpikarhu - 03-26-2002

Colossus

- Sephiroth - 03-26-2002

2 Words:

Teh Gibson

- onehung - 03-26-2002

AdolescentMasturbator Wrote:I'm not sure how far that design went. I'm pretty sure it stopped at 1.2 or 1.3 ghz.
Yea,Thats what I gathered also. When I was looking into the higher ones 1.4 etc etc, it was getting into some chip flipping shit.

...Les Paul?