CDIH
New New Jersey Traffic Law??? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: New New Jersey Traffic Law??? (/showthread.php?tid=8832)

- Keyser Soze - 04-13-2004

Im not sure of the truthfulness behind this, but I figured it be good
to pass around just in case.

Starting on August 15th, 2004 the price of a ticket for violation of NJ
Law 39:3-29 (failure to show your driver's license, registration, or
insurance card at the time you are stopped) is going from $44.00 to
$173.00.

Please make sure your vehicles have the proper documents in them. If
you
jump in the car to run to the store and forget your wallet with your
license in it and you are stopped.... Oh well..., you just spent $173!
And the fine for not having all three documents is $519!!!

Forward to people in NJ, and let them know of this change. And be
careful!

- Black Lazerus - 04-13-2004

gag photo????
I know in the jersey city area that this is true. but i don't know if it's a state wide thing.

- Keyser Soze - 04-13-2004

they took the photo down Sad

- Doc - 04-13-2004

Between that and the "Designated Safe Corridors" I'm moving to Iowa. Safe and Prudent baby!

- Sweet Angel - 04-15-2004

According to this site

39:3-29 Operating Constructor vehicle in excess of 30 mph - 3 points

However, according to this site
The bill also increases the fine for a violation of R.S.39:3-29 from $100 to $150 and requires $25 of each fine to be deposited into the Uninsured
Motorist Prevention Fund.

Various other sites support Keyser's post. However, one (so far) that I've found states January 1, 2004 as the starting date.

I find it kind of interesting that all the sites I looked at have EXACTLY the same text as Keyser's post.

I found another site that said "Friday, August 15th" -- August 15, 2004 is a Sunday.

If I remember, I'll ask my boss tomorrow.

- Keyser Soze - 04-15-2004

you work for the state?

- Kid Afrika - 04-15-2004

If you read the bill it says that you have 24 hours to produce the documents. In the past, I've thought that all you had to do was show up to court with your proof and pay court costs. But, I never thought you could be fined just for not having your paperwork with you as long as you actually have your shit is in order.

Quote:39:3-29. The driver's license, the registration certificate of a motor vehicle and an insurance identification card shall be in the possession of the driver or operator at all times when he is in charge of a motor vehicle on the highways of this State.

The driver or operator shall exhibit his driver's license and an insurance identification card, and the holder of a registration certificate or the operator or driver of a motor vehicle for which a registration certificate has been issued, whether or not the holder, driver or operator is a resident of this State, shall also exhibit the registration certificate, when requested so to do by a police officer or judge, while in the performance of the duties of his office, and shall write his name in the presence of the officer, so that the officer may thereby determine the identity of the licensee and at the same time determine the correctness of the registration certificate, as it relates to the registration number and number plates of the motor vehicle for which it was issued; and the correctness of the evidence of a policy of insurance, as it relates to the coverage of the motor vehicle for which it was issued.

Any person violating this section shall be subject to a fine of $150, of which $25 shall be deposited in the Uninsured Motorist Prevention Fund established by section 2 of P.L.1983, c.141 (C.39:6B-3).

If a person charged with a violation of this section can exhibit his driver's license, insurance identification card and registration certificate, which were valid on the day he was charged, to the judge of the municipal court before whom he is summoned to answer to the charge, such judge may dismiss the charge. However, the judge may impose court costs.

Amended 1972, c.200, s.1; 1981, c.242, s.1; 1983, c.403, s.10. 2003, c.89, s.78.

Edited By Kid Afrika on 1081999157

at the old cost of the ticket, which was $44, it wasnt worth my time to show up in court and produce them. usually it was an officer helping me out by giving me a failure to exhibit docs ticket instead of a speeding ticket. at these prices, you're damn sure i'm going to court to show my documents. seems like a waste of the court's time to me.

- Sweet Angel - 04-15-2004

Quote:you work for the state?
No, I work for a lawyer.

I would imagine it would be easy enough to check out. I would think any municipal court would be aware of the change.

How do you people get in the car without your wallet?

- GonzoStyle - 04-15-2004

I didnt have to show in court, I had to show up within 24 hours to the police station and then they squashed it but this was a few years back and in NY.

- Mad - 04-15-2004

Be a good little slave and show your papers.

If you don't like it you could always move someplace freer, right?

- GonzoStyle - 04-15-2004

yeah it's just like slavery, good example.

- Mad - 04-15-2004

With computers and databases, there really isn't a need for that law(hidden tax). All the fuzz has to do is type in your plate and a few minutes later they'll know all they need, if your registration/insurance is current and if there are any outstanding warrants against the owner of the vehicle.

Did you file your income tax forms like a good little slave or are you waiting until midnight?

ill take a documents ticket over a speeding ticket any day.