CDIH
Cheney and Powell Fought Bitterly Over Iraq - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Cheney and Powell Fought Bitterly Over Iraq (/showthread.php?tid=8850)

- Keyser Soze - 04-17-2004

<font size="4">Cheney, Powell Split Over Iraq, Book Says</font>
Sat Apr 17, 1:54 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) and Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) are so upset with one another over the Iraq (news - web sites) war that they are barely on speaking terms, according to excerpts from a new book published in the Washington Post on Saturday.

The book, entitled "Plan of Attack," is not due to be released until next week but the Post's assistant managing editor, Robert Woodward, wrote it and the newspaper is reporting from it.

Woodward, perhaps best known for his role in the Watergate scandal that forced the resignation of president Richard Nixon in 1974, interviewed administration officials for the book, including Bush.

He writes that the relationship between Cheney and Powell became so strained over the plans to invade Iraq that Cheney and Powell are barely on speaking terms.

Powell, Woodward said, opposed the war and believed Cheney was obsessively trying to establish a connection between Iraq and the al Qaeda terrorist network. He said Powell believed Cheney took ambiguous intelligence and treated it as fact.

"Powell felt Cheney and his allies -- his chief aide, I. Lewis 'Scooter' Libby, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul D. Wolfowitz and Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Douglas J. Feith and what Powell called Feith's 'Gestapo' office -- had established what amounted to a separate government," the Post writes.

"The vice president, for his part, believed Powell was mainly concerned with his own popularity and told friends at a dinner he hosted a year ago celebrating the outcome of the war that Powell was a problem and 'always had major reservations about what we were trying to do."'

But Powell agreed to publicly support the war after Bush personally asked him to, according to Woodward's book.

Bush also said he prayed for divine guidance in launching the war.

"I am prepared to risk my presidency to do what I think is right," the Post quotes Bush as saying.

Bush told Woodward he was cooperating on the book because he wanted the story of how the United States had gone to war in Iraq to be told.

Bush hoped to leave a record that "will enable other leaders, if they feel like they have to go to war, to spare innocent citizens and their lives."

"But the news of this, in my judgment, the big news out of this isn't how George W. makes decisions," Bush is quoted as saying.

"To me the big news is America has changed how you fight and win war, and therefore makes it easier to keep the peace in the long run. And that's the historical significance of this book, as far as I'm concerned."

- The Jays - 04-17-2004

Quote:Before the war with Iraq, Powell bluntly told Bush that if he sent U.S. troops there "you're going to be owning this place." Powell and his deputy and closest friend, Richard L. Armitage, used to refer to what they called "the Pottery Barn rule" on Iraq: "You break it, you own it," according to Woodward.

Quote:Despite Powell's admonitions to the president, "Plan of Attack" suggests it was Blair who may have played a more critical role in persuading Bush to seek a resolution from the United Nations. At a meeting with the president at Camp David in early September, Blair backed Bush on Iraq but said he needed to show he had tried U.N. diplomacy. Bush agreed, and later referred to the Camp David session with Blair as "the cojones meeting," using a colloquial Spanish term for courage.

Quote:Describing what the 41st president said to him about Iraq, the 43rd president told Woodward:

"It was less, 'Here's how you have to take care of the guy [Hussein],' and more, 'I've been through what you've been through and I know what's happening and therefore I love you' would be a more accurate way to describe it."

- HedCold - 04-17-2004

Quote:and more, 'I've been through what you've been through and I know what's happening and therefore I love you'

:30:

- GonzoStyle - 04-17-2004

Quote:Powell bluntly told Bush that if he sent U.S. troops there "you're going to be owning this place."

I be pres-o-dent!

- The Sleeper - 04-17-2004

Quote:Powell bluntly told Bush that if he sent U.S. troops there "y'all gonna be all up in dat piece"

I'MA DROP ME A BOMB!!

- Keyser Soze - 04-17-2004

Quote:Before the war with Iraq, Powell bluntly told Bush that if he sent U.S. troops there "you're going to pwned this place."

- The Jays - 04-17-2004

Quote:Bush agreed, and later referred to the Camp David session with Blair as "the cojones meeting," using a colloquial Spanish term for testicular fortitude.

The Sleeper Wrote:
Quote:Powell bluntly told Bush that if he sent U.S. troops there "y'all gonna be all up in dat piece"
and then Bush said "word is bond, nigga!!!"

and then powell and bush watched Bullworth and sang along with Warren Beatty and ended every rap by saying "slap me some skin" then giggled with joy at the thought of how incredibly cool they are. All the while Condolezza Rice stood in the doorway peeking in and wishing she could be as black as them.

- The Jays - 04-17-2004

The whole cabinet is like P. Diddy's Da Band. Condi is that chick Babs, Rumsfeld is Chopper, and Colin is Dylan.

"Name the five greatest sectretary of states of all time. Powell, Powell, Powell, Powell, and Powell."

- Keyser Soze - 04-18-2004

You goin to war playa? Is that whats hot on the streets?

- GonzoStyle - 04-18-2004

Condi is nothing like babs, she's definetly sarah though.

And Bush is Dylan, Cheyney is Ness and Rumsfeld is Fred.

Colin is Mr. Farnsworth J. Bentley

- LyricalGomez - 04-18-2004

Rumy P aka Anger Managment

Poppa Bush is naturally Puffy and Haliburton is Bad Boy.

- Keyser Soze - 04-18-2004

HALIBURTON WHAT NIGGA???

Don't worry if I write rhymes, I write checks!

- The Jays - 04-18-2004

"I'm sorry, but I have to close the West Wing, and the only way I can open it back up is if you get me the breastmilk of a Cambodian whore."

- AbeSapien - 04-18-2004

Quote:When asked what he intends to accomplish by invading Iraq, President Bush responded "I wish to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and hear the lamentations of their women."

Hail Bush, Warrior of Crom!

Oh you think you hot? Chirac you ain't hot, you like lukewarm at best. You ain't hot, fish grease... NOW THAT'S HOT!!