CDIH
Patrick Tillman - 1976 - 2004 - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Patrick Tillman - 1976 - 2004 (/showthread.php?tid=8896)

Pages: 1 2

- Splatterpunk - 04-26-2004

From The Dallas News.com -- you'll need to register to get to the other stories...

[headline]
Thank you, Pat Tillman

Former football pro understood patriotism

[/headline]

09:22 PM CDT on Friday, April 23, 2004

Let us now praise Pat Tillman, an American patriot who died far away from home, fighting for his country.

Each day brings news of honorable men and women of the U.S. armed services who gave their lives in Middle East combat. But Mr. Tillman’s death in an Afghanistan firefight is marked by particular nobility, an uncommon courage and generosity of spirit before which we can only stand with heads bowed, in humility and awe. Pat Tillman was rich, famous and newly married when he decided, in the summer of 2002, after returning from his honeymoon, to leave the gridiron for the battlefield. The Arizona Cardinals safety relinquished a $3.6 million NFL contract to join the Army Rangers, making the princely salary of $18,000 a year.

Also Online

Reaction:
• Tim Cowlishaw: Tillman's death provides jolt of reality
• NFL family mourns Tillman
• Monk: A hero for my generation
• Hennings: Tillman a 'role model for American youth'
• Editorial: Thank you, Pat Tillman
• DeOre cartoon
• Reader comments on Pat Tillman
• White House statement, what others are saying

Online Only:
• Photos
(From azfamily.com)
• Sign our online guest book

Video:
• An inspiration to many
Tillman talks of patriotism
• Pat Tillman biography
(From azfamily.com)

Nobody knows exactly why he and his brother Kevin, a minor-league baseball prospect, made this choice together. The Tillman brothers wouldn’t talk publicly about their decision, because they didn’t want to be seen as self-aggrandizing. It was said that Pat had been deeply affected by the Sept. 11 attacks and thought he had a higher calling in life than to make millions chasing a ball up and down the grass on Sunday afternoons. As columnist Peggy Noonan observed at the time, "Maybe he was thinking Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

We live in a cynical, narcissistic age, so it wasn’t surprising that not everyone saw it that way. Former teammate Simeon Rice, now with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, suggested at the time to a reporter that Pat Tillman left pro football because he wasn’t a very good player, or maybe was trying to live out a Rambo fantasy. Mr. Rice, in his poverty of spirit, could not imagine that anyone would give up the pampered life of a professional athlete to go live in a foreign foxhole and get shot at by fanatics, all for the sake of defending the homeland. Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Pat Tillman’s laid up his treasure in loyalty and selfless service to his nation, for which he gave, in Lincoln’s immortal phrase, “the last full measure of … devotion.” Sen. John McCain of Arizona, a war hero of Vietnam, said yesterday that the young man’s death will “seem a heavy blow to the nation’s morale.” To the contrary, we believe that Pat Tillman’s sacrifice will inspire his fellow Americans. His life and his death bear witness to the truth that there are some ideals worth dying for, and therefore some ideals worth living for.

Pat Tillman, who walked off the football field and died on the field of honor, was a great American and a great man. We are, every one of us, forever in his debt.

- Ken'sPen - 04-26-2004

I don't like the spin that because he was making a lot of money,
his life, and death was worth more than the others who have lost their lives over there.

- diceisgod - 04-26-2004

BREAKING NEWS!!!

- diceisgod - 04-26-2004

Good news, Laz! You're free!!

- Gooch - 04-26-2004

i'm saddened that he, and how some many others who are non-football players died...but i don't like the patriotic, over-the-top fervor that article implies. people like to take stories and spin it. a lot of spinning to glorify Tillman. Simeon Rice maybe spoiled and pampered...but maybe the artcile could have delved deeper to get other football opinions than to out and out attack him...articles be less of an opinion piece, provide info and let people choose for themselves of how to perceive it.

- diceisgod - 04-26-2004

WE LANDED ON THE MOON!!

- Ken'sPen - 04-26-2004

I think it's fox news that blasts the trumpet the loudest.....

but,

they are an outlet for the Republicans, and I guess a man of wealth and fame choosing to go to war is a head scratcher for them.

- diceisgod - 04-26-2004

We got a thread about this already where I completely explained the whole situation.ASSHOLES!!

- Ken'sPen - 04-26-2004

I never read your threads,
they make me feel worse about the ones I start.

- diceisgod - 04-26-2004

It's actually a Keyser exclusive.

- Black Lazerus - 04-26-2004

I'm free wow, anyone hear that Lincon was shot?

Hey stupid check the THREADS before you start posting old news.

O, my bad. Figures it would have been Mr Wonderful himself to post it the very day of. Yeah, I didn't know about it til today... all hail Julius Keyser.

I still think it was honorable. It doesn't mean his death was more important than anyone else's., but the fact that he made a deliberate choice to give up multimillions & ngo when he could easily not have bothered is very impressive. He could have just been a rich athlete & in said fuck you all... that's about what I expect of the garbage populating much of the world. Yeah but he didn't do that.

I say one of him is about worth 3.4 million of you, Ken.

- Goatweed - 04-26-2004

Quote:Figures it would have been Mr Wonderful himself to post it the very day of.

it sounds like you're in love :loveya:

- Ken'sPen - 04-26-2004

I am alive,
he is dead,

my worth is Rocketing compared to his.

Goatweed Wrote:
Quote:Figures it would have been Mr Wonderful himself to post it the very day of.

i <3 him

- Goatweed - 04-26-2004

Splatterpunk Wrote:
Goatweed Wrote:

i <3 him
if you have a red-head wig, you're good to go!

- Keyser Soze - 04-26-2004

we'll see if she passes the vacuum test

- Ken'sPen - 04-26-2004

is that a reference to most of your girl's IQs?

- Keyser Soze - 04-26-2004

like you can be so picky

- Ken'sPen - 04-26-2004

I'll take that as a yes.