CDIH
Remember when the US was eliminated - from the world basketball championships - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Remember when the US was eliminated - from the world basketball championships (/showthread.php?tid=9035)

Pages: 1 2

- The Jays - 06-03-2004

yeah...

Quote:Shaquille O'Neal has officially informed USA Basketball that he will not be participating in this summer's Olympics, NBA vice president Stu Jackson told ESPN.com.

Asked if O'Neal has delivered formal notification of his intentions, Jackson nodded in the affirmative Saturday night after watching O'Neal's Lakers drop Game 5 of the Western Conference finals to Minnesota.

USAB's selection committee extended formal invitations to O'Neal and the Wolves' Kevin Garnett in March, but the committee's initial optimism faded quickly amid a string of pullouts by other stars. As reported by ESPN.com, USAB has been operating under the assumption since late April that Garnett wouldn't accept.

Jackson, the league's liason to the committee, confirmed Saturday that coach Larry Brown will have neither player on his roster for Athens. Jackson also said that more additions to the roster are forthcoming.

Brown announced Wednesday that Orlando's Tracy McGrady also has withdrawn. The list of players to either refuse an invitation or withdraw includes Kobe Bryant, Jason Kidd, Karl Malone, Ray Allen, Vince Carter, Elton Brand and Kenyon Martin in addition to O'Neal, Garnett and McGrady.

Yet even without O'Neal and Garnett, Brown might still have two of his first-choice big men in Athens. San Antonio's Tim Duncan has reaffirmed his commitment to play for Team USA, in search of the gold medal he missed in Sydney in 2000. And Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal told ESPN.com last week that, even though he was among the first players to voice concerns about the state of security in Greece, he still considers himself part of the Olympic team.

"Until something drastic happens," Jermaine O'Neal said, "I'm going to play in Athens."

Of the original nine players selected by USA Basketball, only three have guaranteed their participation: Duncan, Philadelphia's Allen Iverson and Sacramento's Mike Bibby. Indiana's O'Neal said he won't decide until after the playoffs whether to join them and the first wave of replacements: Cleveland's LeBron James, New York's Stephon Marbury, New Jersey's Richard Jefferson and the Phoenix duo of Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire.

- HedCold - 06-03-2004

when was that taken from? i thought j oneal said he wasn't going to go now since he hurt his knee, could be wrong though

- HedCold - 06-03-2004

i'm probably the only one that cares, but....
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.indystar.com/articles/9/151689-1329-036.html">http://www.indystar.com/articles/9/151689-1329-036.html</a><!-- m -->

they should just let the college kids play. i think more people watch the wnba than the world tournaments

- The Jays - 06-03-2004

the thing is, when the US was eliminated from the world championships, when only the college kids were playing, all these NBA players were up in arms.

- HedCold - 06-03-2004

was it THESE nba players, or was it the old nba players who loved playing the game more than these guys now? (bird, magic....etc)

- LyricalGomez - 06-03-2004

They are all a bunch of fucking faggots who are further injuring the brand and are doing nothing to help the reputation of the game.

This is exactly why Tim Duncan is the fucking man and why people like him, the NBA needs more players like him and less millionaire crybabies.

Edited By LyricalGomez on 1086234611

- The Jays - 06-03-2004

HedCold Wrote:was it THESE nba players, or was it the old nba players who loved playing the game more than these guys now? (bird, magic....etc)
i was pretty sure that a bunch of active stars were all worried, ready to step up and play. i cant remember , it was two years ago.

either way, this is the olympics. we've just had our ass handed to us, and we have to qualify to play in the games.

but the best players in the world don't give a shit

- HedCold - 06-03-2004

oh yea i do remember a few years ago some people saying stuff, thats when duncan joined on. some of them do have good excuses though (injuries, some personal things), others are scared of terrorism

- The Jays - 06-03-2004

just what we need; nba stars, who children look up to, letting the terrorists win and going spanish on us

- HedCold - 06-03-2004

oh and when they let college kids play 2 years ago, wasn't it only 2 of them? jay williams and someone else. its not like they lost cause of them. i remember paul pierce played pretty bad, and reggie miller hurt his ankle and hasn't really been the same since

- The Jays - 06-03-2004

when they lost, i was pretty sure it was because none of them were professional players

- HedCold - 06-03-2004

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0907/1428856.html">http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0907/1428856.html</a><!-- m -->

- The Jays - 06-03-2004

Ya, i just looked it up

Quote:To find some redeeming value in Team USA's early exit from the 2002 World Championships, let's stop by the Player Cred Department and see who added to their account and who may be overdrawn. While this week as a whole will live forever in infamy in the minds of today's basketball fan -- meaning about a month -- there actually were a few players who walked away with their reputations bolstered. Most, of course, didn't. Here are the notables from one man's scorecard:

Michael Finley. Tainted with that no-D stigma that attaches itself to every Mav these days and beaten down by trade-bait innuendo out of Dallas because he wasn't a leader, Fin showed different in every way possible. First in the gym and the last one out during training camp, he logged the most minutes in pre-elimination competition, communicated better than anyone, adjusted to the quicker ball movement needed and played through his mistakes like a foreign pro (stings a little at first, but you'll get used to it). If the U.S. team had a few more like him, it would be playing for gold.

Jermaine O'Neal wasn't much of a threat in the low post.
Andre Miller. Started off slowly, but the coaching staff believed he'd rise to the challenge while keeping his composure and he did exactly that. Unless, of course, you count blasting Paul Pierce's head off after Pierce yelled from the bench that Miller was holding the ball too long in the first quarter of the Argentina loss. Miller, who by all accounts is unfailingly quiet, blistered Pierce after being subbed out, much to the quiet admiration of the rest of the team and then singlehandedly tried to avert disaster. OK, maybe there was a little too much singlehandedness, but he tried to step up.

Paul Pierce. Became a fan/media darling because of his stats and despised by his teammates for the way he got them. Pierce put the Germany game out of reach with his eight-point burst in 50 seconds to close the third quarter and led the team in scoring, but his fourth-quarter battle with Milan Gurovic decided the Yugoslavia game. His defense left a lot to be desired throughout the tournament, but never more than here. Gurovic scored 10 of his 15 points in the final 10 minutes, including three 3s in Pierce's grill. Pierce, meanwhile, not only went scoreless but he didn't get open on the U.S. team's last two plays, both drawn for him. (Draw your own conclusion.)

Baron Davis. He's still a on-the-cusp-of-greatness NBA player until proven otherwise, but his basketball IQ and fundamentals took a big hit. Reduced to launching 3s or making a kamikaze run at the rim, he averaged more turnovers than assists and had surprising trouble staying in front of his man.

Jermaine O'Neal. He was the team's best low-post threat but put that in the damned-with-faint-praise bin. Woeful defensive decisions. O'Neal is obviously talented but it's equally obvious he hasn't figured out what to do with it yet. He's been around long enough now and has enough shooting form that going 0-for-4 on fourth-quarter free throws against Yugoslavia -- nearly airballing the last one -- isn't acceptable anymore.

Elton Brand. Clippers owner Donald Sterling has told several people already that he won't pay Brand the max, and if he needs any ammo, World tournament tapes will do quite nicely. He's a hard worker and a nice guy, but matched against versatile Euro big men, he looked like a guy on the subway platform as the train blows through. Give Brand and Reggie Miller credit for being the lone USA players who observed international protocol by congratulating the Yugoslavs before leaving the court, but manners don't get you $80 mil.

Shawn Marion. Didn't play against Yugoslavia after injuring his groin vs. Argentina but wasn't missed. As with Baron, Shawn may prove still to be a great NBA player but the drive-and-kick, split-a-seam, spot-up-in-a-passing-lane nuances that are vital in the international game are not in his repertoire.

Ben Wallace. I'm reluctant to put him here because he's a second-round pick who has made himself into an All-Star Defensive Player of the Year, but nothing was as shocking as seeing him get served by several Argentines, including Fabricio Oberto on a baseline inbounds play with three seconds on the clock. He offered proof that no player can be great defensively without a good system and committed teammates. He didn't have either of those here.

George Karl. Based on my e-mail and the words of advice from Jay Williams' parents behind the USA bench, Karl is at the heart of this historic demise. This certainly doesn't look good after the Bucks' collapse last season, but he was handcuffed by the same problem -- bad team chemistry and a roster with too many holes or duplicative talent. Maybe he should've switched starting lineups sooner -- replacing Brand and O'Neal with Wallace and Antonio Davis -- to end the slow starts and send a message about earning minutes. And maybe not having a shootaround before playing Argentina encouraged the overall lack of urgency. But I'm still not sure anyone could've short-order cooked this group into a gold-medal team.

USA Basketball Selection Committee. They put together the highest-profile talent that wasn't likely to cause an international incident, but the roster's flaws became evident in training camp -- streaky shooters, score-first point guards, big men who were either a liability offensively (A.Davis, Wallace) or defensively (Brand, O'Neal) and a stunning lack of fundamental basketball acuity. Big decisions lie ahead as to how to make our program -- dare it be said -- world-class again.

AND ONES: Spurs owner Peter Holt sat behind the Team USA bench for the Argentina game and had a hard time muting his excitement over rookie Emmanuel Ginobili. "Wow," he said after Ginobili scored over Wallace. "Boy, are we smart." ... Harbinger: In between quarters, a Yugoslav kid beat an American kid in a shooting contest ... Argentine Andres Noccioni, best remembered for dunking on Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan three years ago in pre-Olympic qualifying, has caught the Houston Rockets' eye ... Anybody wondering about the "B-T B 4 L" headband worn by Germany's Misan Nikagbatse, it stands for B-Town Ballers for Life, a message to those he grew up with in Berlin. Man, those Euros are taking everything from us ... The Yugoslav fans showed they could cut just as sharp and quick as their team. Minutes after the loss, a fan held up a sign that read, "58-2."

Well, it looks like we're heading back to the same thing. the best players sit out, while we get our ass kicked

- HedCold - 06-03-2004

Quote:Gurovic scored 10 of his 15 points in the final 10 minutes, including three 3s in Pierce's grill.
how come guys like these aren't the ones taken in the nba. i thought it was a good sign nene hilario would be a decent nba player because he actually played well against the us team in a world tournament. don't scouts look at these games as a sign of what they can do against actual nba talent? instead of these 7 foot, 160 pound 20 yr olds who play against god knows who

i figure theres probably a good number of them who are in their late 20s,early 30s, so you don't want to "waste" a pick on someone like that when you can get someone younger who can be better, but geez

- The Jays - 06-03-2004

perhaps it's too much of a bitch to coach these guys without translators, or without speaking proper english. baseball's a much slower game, a lot less talking, a lot more signs, and you can have your translator around perhaps. in basketball, you got your teammates shouting, your coach shouting, refs talking. who knows.

- HedCold - 06-03-2004

true, i wouldn't doubt thats part of the reason

- The Jays - 06-03-2004

but you're right. In Europe, kids start playing professional sports at like 12 or 14.

- HedCold - 06-03-2004

but, a lot of these guys play all over europe, not just in one country. they must have some ability to figure things out and catch on. i'm not saying it would be easy, but a little easier

also i wouldnt doubt that some guys don't want to come here.

- The Jays - 06-03-2004

most people in Europe understand that it helps to learn English. Except, of course, for the dumbasses who move to this country and don't speak a lick of it.

I would think our NBA offers more financial potential than the european leagues.

- HedCold - 06-03-2004

but if you're a 29 year old with a wife and 2 kids in france, making maybe a million or two a yr, would it be worth it to play in the US for maybe a million more for a few years? also, i don't know how it would work for them, but if they have to go through the nba draft, and get picked late in the first round, there's a limit to what they can be offered, so it might not even be as high as they're getting paid