CDIH
Kobe's Free!! - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Kobe's Free!! (/showthread.php?tid=9317)

Pages: 1 2

- The Jays - 09-01-2004

Quote:Prosecutors will ask
for Kobe dismissal
Conflicting reports on whether D.A.
will ask right to try Bryant at later date
NBCSports.com news services
Updated: 6:32 p.m. ET Sept. 1, 2004EAGLE, Colo. - Prosecutors have agreed to dismiss sexual assault charges against Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant, NBC News has learned. But what remains in question is whether or not the prosecution is asking for the right to bring charges against Bryant at a later date.

advertisement

According to NBC News, the prosecutors will move to dismiss the case "without prejudice", which means they can refile the case later.

ABC, however, reported that the prosecution wanted the case to be dismissed "with prejudice", meaning it could never be brought to court again. According to the ABC report, the alleged victim was no longer willing to testify.

The Associated Press reported that the case will be dropped as early as Thursday.

Bryant trial
• Prosecutors may drop case
• List of questions given to jury pool
• Kobe's marketing power in jeopardy
• Ventre: Jury will have last word
• Glance at jury pool
• Glance at key witnesses
• Glance at judge, attorneys
• Case timeline
• Full coverage of case

District Attorney Mark Hurlbert scheduled a late afternoon news conference, but his spokeswoman declined to comment before that, as did attorneys for the 20-year-old accuser. Defense attorneys did not return calls seeking comment.

L. Lin Wood, an attorney handling the accuser’s federal civil lawsuit against Bryant, said that case was intact Wednesday.

“There has been no settlement of the civil lawsuit and there have been no discussions concerning a settlement,” he said. He declined to comment when asked about the criminal case.

Bryant, 26, has said he had consensual sex with a then-19-year-old employee of a Vail-area resort where he stayed last summer. If convicted, the Los Angeles Lakers star would face four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine up to $750,000.

Reports that the prosecution was dropping the case surfaced as jury selection began to wrap up. Attorneys and District Judge Terry Ruckriegle had hoped to seat a 12-member jury this week, with opening statements coming next Tuesday.

Defense attorneys this week asked the judge to dismiss the assault charge, saying prosecutors had refused to turn over details that could suggest Bryant is innocent. Court rules require prosecutors and defense attorneys to exchange evidence and witness opinions before trial, a process called discovery.

In a motion made public Wednesday, defense attorneys said a forensics expert whom prosecutors had planned to call as a witness had information that “undermined the accuser’s allegations and the prosecution’s case, and corroborated Mr. Bryant’s defense on a central issue — the cause and significance of the accuser’s alleged injuries.”

The filing said those opinions were not disclosed to the defense until they contacted the expert Friday, despite repeated requests to prosecutors for the information. Prosecutors have said they have turned over all information they were required to.

“A person’s life and liberty are at stake,” the defense attorneys wrote. “The game of hide-the-ball, find-it-if-you-can discovery is intolerable. This court must vindicate Mr. Bryant’s constitutional rights and impose meaningful sanctions against the prosecution.”

The motion does not identify the expert, but prosecutors this spring had said they planned to call former New York City medical examiner Michael Baden to testify about the woman’s injuries.

Live Vote
What is your take on the Kobe Bryant case?

I'm tired of it

It's very exciting

I hope Bryant is acquitted

I hope Bryant gets convicted

I don't care

Vote to see results

Live Vote
What is your take on the Kobe Bryant case? * 118452 responses

I'm tired of it
29%

It's very exciting
1%

I hope Bryant is acquitted
42%

I hope Bryant gets convicted
12%

I don't care
16%

Not a scientifically valid survey. Click to learn more.

Hurlbert had said during a July 19 hearing he had decided against using Baden. He did not elaborate.

The defense motion was first reported by ABC News, which cited unidentified sources who said Baden told prosecutors the woman’s injuries could have been caused by consensual sex. Baden did not return messages Wednesday.

The defense has also argued that injuries found on the woman could have been caused by sex with someone else in the time surrounding her encounter with Bryant, including someone afterward and before she went to a hospital. The woman’s attorneys have denied that claim.

Defense attorneys asked the judge to either dismiss the case or bar prosecutors from introducing any expert testimony relating to the accuser’s injuries. The judge gave prosecutors until Tuesday to respond.

The Associated Press contributed

- Arpikarhu - 09-01-2004

more proof that money and slander can get you out of anything

- Keyser Soze - 09-01-2004

she was a whore

- Galt - 09-01-2004

more proof that whenever anyone famous is accused of doing anything everyone immediately believes they are guilty, and when they get off, every immediately believes that it's only because they are rich

because she couldnt have cried rape cause she thought she might be able to get some money out of it. thats just not possible.

- Black Lazerus - 09-01-2004

even the goldmans waited till after the trial to sue.

- Mad - 09-01-2004

And they're Jews.

Hopefully, Kobe will counter sue that whore for legal fees and drive her to suicide.

that would be fun to watch.

- Arpikarhu - 09-02-2004

your misogeny(sp?) is showing

- Mad - 09-02-2004

Pipe down bitch.

- GonzoStyle - 09-02-2004

Galt Wrote:more proof that whenever anyone famous is accused of doing anything everyone immediately believes they are guilty, and when they get off, every immediately believes that it's only because they are rich
No I always believed OJ got off cause he really was innocent, I am not swayed by things like irrefutable facts and petty shit like evidence, fuck that shit fuckin hippies.

- Galt - 09-02-2004

the exception that proves the rule!

By the way, how fucking stupid is that statement?

- Arpikarhu - 09-02-2004

Mad Wrote:Pipe down bitch.
sorry :-(

Galt Wrote:the exception that proves the rule!

By the way, how fucking stupid is that statement?
I mean why would Ted Kennedy even drive the bitch home let alone off a bridge, he'd be all like money's on the nighstand whore bye!!!

I mean please with the kennedy money conspiracy, ok tone it down oliver stone jr. keep your fuckin ghost stories to yourself.

- Arpikarhu - 09-02-2004

gonzo wins!

- diceisgod - 09-02-2004

Kobe got off.....TWICE! GET IT!?

- Mad - 09-02-2004

At least he didn't settle for sloppy seconds.

- Galt - 09-02-2004

People never target celebrities and file false claims against them in an attempt to extort money from them or fame from the media.

Gonzo has convinced me. His 10- and 35-year old examples have proven me the fool.

I never said that people don't target celebs, they do and its pretty obvious.

But you said that when they do get off people complain it was only cause they are rich, well that has been true in many cases.

The reason I mentioned chappaquiddick was to show that it's not just something recent or even something tied down strictly to atheletes and entertainers but to all walks of life where people have money and influence and it has been that way forever.

Like chris rock said, if OJ was a bus driver he'd be in jail right now.

- Arpikarhu - 09-03-2004

amen!