CDIH
Blast, Mushroom Cloud Reported in N. Korea - Where the WMDs are not quite so hidden - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Blast, Mushroom Cloud Reported in N. Korea - Where the WMDs are not quite so hidden (/showthread.php?tid=9363)

- Keyser Soze - 09-12-2004

Blast, Mushroom Cloud Reported in N. Korea

15 minutes ago

By CHRISTOPHER TORCHIA, Associated Press Writer

SEOUL, South Korea - A large explosion occurred in the northern part of North Korea (news - web sites), sending a huge mushroom cloud into the air on an important anniversary of the communist regime, a South Korean news agency reported Sunday.

The South Korean government said it was trying to confirm the report.

The Yonhap news agency, citing an unidentified diplomatic source in Seoul, said the explosion happened at 11 a.m. local time Thursday in Yanggang province near the border with China. The blast in Kim Hyong Jik county left a crater big enough to be noticed by a satellite, the source said.

"We understand that a mushroom-shaped cloud about 2.2 miles to 2.5 miles in diameter was monitored during the explosion," the source said. Yonhap described the source as "reliable."

Thursday was the anniversary of the 1948 foundation of the communist regime. Leader Kim Jong Il uses the occasion to stage performances and other events to bolster loyalty among the impoverished North Korean population.

Experts have speculated that North Korea might use a major anniversary to conduct a nuclear-related test, though there was no immediate indication that the reported explosion on Thursday was linked to Pyongyang's efforts to develop nuclear weapons.

"It remains unclear whether it was a deliberately planned nuclear test or it was just an accident," the source in Seoul told Yonhap. "But it doesn't seem to be an ordinary explosion."

The source said the explosion took place "not far" from a military base that holds North Korea's Taepo-dong ballistic missiles. North Korea, which has a large missile arsenal and more than a million soldiers, is dotted with military installations.

The damage and crater left by the explosion in Kim Hyong Jik county was big enough to be noticed by a satellite, a source in Beijing told Yonhap.

North Korea was founded on Sept. 9, 1948. Leader Kim Jong Il uses the anniversary to stage performances and other events to bolster loyalty among the impoverished North Korean population.

South Korea (news - web sites)'s Unification Minister Chung Dong-young said the government was trying to confirm the report about the explosion.

"I am not aware of details such as the size of the damage," he was quoted as saying by Yonhap after a National Security Council meeting.

On Saturday, North Korea said recent revelations that South Korea conducted secret nuclear experiments involving uranium and plutonium made the communist state more determined to pursue its own nuclear programs.

The South Korean experiments, conducted in 1982 and 2000, were likely to further complicate the already stalled six-nation talks aimed at dismantling the North's nuclear development. South Korea has said the experiments were purely for research and did not reflect a desire to develop weapons.

On April 22, train wagons at a railway station exploded in the North Korean town of Ryongchon, killing 160 people and injuring an estimated 1,300, according to some estimates. The blast was believed to have been sparked by a train laden with oil and chemicals that hit power lines.

The explosion on Thursday was bigger than the Ryongchon train explosion, which devastated a wide area, Yonhap said.

- Arpikarhu - 09-12-2004

but we dont care about them because iraq was much more dangerous to the U.S.

- crack hitler - 09-12-2004

does north korea have oil? no? then who cares, let them blow themselves to bits

- Galt - 09-12-2004

We will all be dead within the span of 6 months.

- The Jays - 09-12-2004

but there wont be anyone to score the point for that prediction on the board

- Arpikarhu - 09-12-2004

i will score it as i have been assured by satan that i will be around to dance on your graves.
all except gonzo's that is. i have seen my death and it will be a heart attack from the exertion of trying to dance the full circumference of his grave. thats why i am saving it for last.

- Arpikarhu - 09-12-2004

whew! i am tired. i had to go a long way for that one.

i was going to add how i was going to put a sprinkler system and a giggle box in his grave so that he would live in eternity, but i started to get winded and got a beer instead.

- HedCold - 09-12-2004

Galt Wrote:We will all be dead within the span of 6 months.
if you keep making that prediction it will eventually come true

i bet mad will make it through

- Mad - 09-12-2004

I'm a survivor.

- Gooch - 09-12-2004

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/09/12/nkorea.blast/index.html">http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... index.html</a><!-- m -->

Mad Wrote:I'm a survivor.
when the shit goes down, i'm taking mad on my team for real world socom

- Mad - 09-12-2004

I'll need a lot more weapons and ammo, lot's of ammo.

- Arpikarhu - 09-12-2004

keep me safe, mad. i am scared. :26:

- The Sleeper - 09-12-2004

It was just a forest fire!! I swear!! Let's get back to Iraq and how their soccer team was in the olympics!!!!

- Mad - 09-12-2004

Arpikarhu Wrote:keep me safe, mad. i am scared. :26:
Sorry, no room for whiny cunts without a gash.

- Arpikarhu - 09-12-2004

i find your language offensive!

- The Jays - 09-12-2004

he means pussies with twats

- Arpikarhu - 09-12-2004

much better :thumbs-up: