CDIH
Red Sox - Yankees - The Final Showdown - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Red Sox - Yankees - The Final Showdown (/showthread.php?tid=9473)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

- The Jays - 10-10-2004

One year, one A-rod trade, one dive into the stands, one brawl, one midget, and 166 games later, the Yankees are about to begin the final AL showdown, against the Red Sox.

All the articles I read seem pretty biased toward the Red Sox; that the Sox have the starting pitching and the offense and the defense, and put together everything in order to win, Yankees, however, are just described as a team that "finds ways to win", as if they are wandering through the season, throwing shit at the wall, and just happen to throw the right shit at the right time on the right wall. Bullshit. Their starting pitching blows, so they have to compensate by attacking pitch counts and bullpens. This isn't a team of Sorianos; swinging for the fences everytime and getting more strikes than a box of matches. They make pitchers work. And theyve won alot of games this year by coming from behind. A game is never over for the Yanks in the first innings; they attack when weakness shows.

Pedro is no longer a factor. Arroyo and Shilling should probably be scarier than Pedro. And then again, Mariano is hardly scary to the Red Sox. No lead is safe in this series. I dunno, it'll be great to watch, and I think everyone is expecting a good fight somewhere in the series.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 10-10-2004

i think that Pedro is more of a factor when he is facing Leiber, than he was against Mussina.

- Arpikarhu - 10-10-2004

yankees have a deeper lineup, sox have better pitching. if arroyo pitches the way he finished the season, sox win. if arroyo converts to previous form, yanks win.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 10-10-2004

do you think that the 7 8 9 hitters on the yankees are better then the 7 8 9 on the sox?

- The Jays - 10-10-2004

Quote:A cousin of Mariano Rivera's wife and the cousin's son died Saturday after being electrocuted on the grounds of the New York Yankees closer's home in Panama.

Rivera

Victor Dario Avila, cousin of Clara Rivera, and his 14-year-old son of the same name were electrocuted while cleaning a swimming pool on the grounds of Rivera's mansion.

It was uncertain whether the incident would affect Rivera's availability for the ALCS, which begins Tuesday.

When asked whether the situation would affect the Yankees' roster, GM Brian Cashman said: "It's a personal issue. That's that. We have until 10 a.m. Tuesday to deal with our roster."

Irma Rivera, a cousin of Mariano Rivera's, confirmed the accident in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

"There is sadness for all sides," Rivera said. "VĂ­ctor was a very good man."

Various newspapers in the New York area reported that Rivera and his wife were dealing with a "personal issue" -- an issue they were informed about after the Yankees' 6-5, series-clinching win over the Twins on Saturday.

The Yankees would not comment on the situation or confirm that it involved Rivera. When asked whether he was all right as he left the clubhouse after the game, Rivera said, "Yeah, yeah," and patted a reporter on the shoulder.

"This is a private family matter of one our players, and we're not going to be able to comment," Yankees spokesman Rick Cerrone said.

Irma Rivera told the AP that the boy touched a cable while cleaning the pool. Avila approached his son and tried to help, but he was electrocuted, too. Another person, reportedly a neighbor, also tried to help Avila and his son and was in critical condition.

"This happened like at 5 p.m. [Saturday]. It was something very sad," Irma Rivera added. Irma Rivera also said that Clara Rivera was expected to travel to Panama on Sunday.

- Galt - 10-11-2004

I will say that there are many things of which Arpi is knowledgable; baseball isn't one of them.

You can't say that Yanks have a deeper lineup than the Sox. You just can't.

1-6, the Yanks are probably better; the Sox are much better 7-9 and better off the bench (which I would guess is the definition of "deeper" rather than choosing the word "better".

This series will be determined not by the offense or the starting pitchers, but by the Yankees bullpen. If Gordon and Quantrill are strong the Yanks win.

- HollywoodJewMoses - 10-11-2004

this season, damon has been a better leadoff hitter then Jeter has.
Manny and Ortiz are better then Sheff/Matsui

and its not even close 7-9. like i asked before.

- Galt - 10-11-2004

You're forgetting one small aspect of the Yanks lineup: Arod

Let's just say Damon/Jeter is a wash though Jeter probably has the edge
Arod, Sheffield Manny/Ortiz probably goes to the Sox. but not by much.
Matsui, Posada, Bernie over Bellhorn, Nixon, Millar by a lot

So I think the Yanks have a better 1-6, everything else goes to the Sox by a mile.

Edited By Galt on 1097461509

so you gonna be in boston for the games next weekend or what?

- Galt - 10-11-2004

or what.

well played.

- Galt - 10-11-2004

I will probably be in Boston on Thursday or Friday, but it'll just be a day trip to visit clients. I like the Sox, and I like baseball, but no baseball is worth $500 a ticket.

- The Jays - 10-11-2004

yeah, 7-9 is olerud, sierra, and cairo. theyre nothing special, but theyre nothing terrible either. they can get on base for the top. and olerud and cairo work on the defensive side of the ball.

Boston's baserunning is not as good as the Yankees.

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 10-11-2004

Sierra is clutch. Cairo is tough as hell to strike out. Olerud is a veteran and should be clutch if needed to be.

- diceisgod - 10-11-2004

I HATE baseball

- Goatweed - 10-11-2004

how about those Phillies!!

- Galt - 10-11-2004

Sierra, Olerud, Cairo vs Varitek, Cabrerra, and Mueller.

Hmmmm let me pull out the abacus to compare their stats.

It's not even close. Maybe in 1998 it would be a different story.

- The Jays - 10-11-2004

Red Sox always have the better statistical offense and pitching, and they always lose in the end.

- Galt - 10-11-2004

The Yankees have had better pitching than the Red Sox for the past decade.

Tell me this: Would you give better odds that the Red Sox leave NY up 2-0 with Schilling and Pedro going against Mussina and Lieber or down 2-0?

Do you think that it's even possible that the Sox won't take at least one in NY and go to Boston. Then Boston has three games at home with the likelyhood of Schilling and Pedro pitching games 4 and 5?

i'm fully erect at that thought.