CDIH
why are people so proud of ignorance? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: why are people so proud of ignorance? (/showthread.php?tid=9749)

Pages: 1 2

- GonzoStyle - 12-08-2004

There's this guy I work with and he and I have become rather friendly. He was nice to me from day one and has always helped me out especially when I was new to the industry. It's a pretty tight knit crew at work and a lot of the people there were friends before they worked there or all came over from the same companies before coming here, etc. We're always at eachothers places, we hang out after work, etc so it's a very friendly work atmosphere as well, we openly joke, curse, fuck around, etc.

We talk about a lot during the day as we're either doing paper work, filling shit out on our comps, etc cause we all sit pretty close to eachother. We talk about movies, sex, what we did, who we did, sometimes we even talk about work.

Today we talked about what movies we seen lately and Alexander came up, I saw it and so had this guy I am talking about. As a backstory, he's a really nice guy but his main concern is to make 6 figures, get drunk every night and get laid evey night, the end. He doesnt care about history, present, future outside his little area.

Now I got no problem with that, if you choose not to care thats your choice but don't be so proud of the fact you really know nothing and cant add to a conversation beyond "I had pussy last night and it was so sweet", which is fine ofcourse.

So this guy says "well how was alexander?" so I said how bad it was and the guy agreed with me and said he didnt like it cause of all the gay stuff, I said I didnt like it cause of how historically innacurate it was and how it just had no depth to the characters..... he looks at me like "yeah no one cares about the historical shit cause no one really knows that stuff"

It wasnt just that he said it but the fuckin attitude behind it. I said well thats been a large complaint not only of this film but most of Oliver Stones historical films such as Nixon and JFK, that he just basically makes up his own history. I get a look like i'm talkin chinese from him. I mean why even say anything? Did I call you a homophobe cause all you could talk about was the cock suckin in the film? I said my piece and you said yours, it wouldnt have been an issue.

He then says that if he polled everyone in the office, that most people wouldnt know much of Alexander, which is super cause to be honest I work with a majority of people who barely finished high school, its not really saying much taking a poll there.

This is just today, he always has to make an issue when someone talks about current events or history and anything "intelligent", I say it with quotes cause knowing whats goin on in the news isnt really showing intelligence per se but to him it is.

This is the same guy who told me "never discuss religion with me cause to me only my religion is right and I dont give a fuck about other peoples religions and anyone who believes in something different from my religion will burn in hell, so whats the point?"

The sad part was that he was dead serious and trying to have an intelligent debate with him is pointless because he just throws a fit and walks away.

It just pisses me the fuck off, just cause you cant add don't fuckin be so proud of not knowing.

- The Sleeper - 12-08-2004

I just saw JFK for the first time on sunday. awesome movie

- Goatweed - 12-08-2004

It seems to be another mega-million-dollar bust, much like Troy.

These movies would've done better when Gladiator came out.

- Gooch - 12-08-2004

fear and ignorance is a powerful thing.

Troy, I thought, was quite good..and did make a profit...though historically awful.

- Galt - 12-08-2004

Has there ever been a historical movie that was accurate? Braveheart was just terrible when it came to accuracy. But I still loved the movie.

And JFK was painfully bad. I've fallen asleep both times I've tried to watch it. Once in a chair that is impossible to sleep in.

- Sir O - 12-08-2004

Quote:why are people so proud of ignorance?

When the president is an ignoramus, I guess it trickles down from there.

I'm sort-of kidding, but: we have a president who basically hates learning and thinking. He relies on instincts (like reptiles), that's why his supporters love him. Any data that runs contrary to his is discredited, much like your co-worker. He's a Bush-style thinker, he doesn't really think.

I don't take your opinion seriously since you put an arbitrary year limit on what movies you watch

- Sir O - 12-08-2004

After the last 3 years of horrible movies, Galt should be begging for 30's films. Seriously.

- Galt - 12-08-2004

I can't get past the movies before the 70s because people couldn't act. Everything was so over-the-top. I admit I don't have a full exposure to all of these specifc movies many have mentioned, but it's like sushi: I've tried it enough to know that I don't like it. I don't need to keep trying different kinds since every one that I've seen/eaten to date, disagrees with me.

And there were some good movies in the last 3 years. I'm sure you thought F9/11 was better than Ten Commandments.

yea that marlon brando was a hack! so over the top!

- Galt - 12-08-2004

just in last few years:
Lord of the Rings trilogy (not an original idea obviously, but well done)
Memento (very interesting idea)
Eternal Sunshine (ditto)
A lot of the animated movies were also very well done, innovative with good scripts
Last Samurai was one I saw on cable recently that I thought was good too. I like the epics. The movies in the olden days were sci/fi or action with way cheesy special effects, acting that was over-the top and unrealistic, and all the romance was basically: man forces himself on woman. she learns to love it.

yeah those sci fi flicks were really cheesy, that part in citizen kane when the martians invaded xanadu was awful.

Sir O Wrote:
Quote:why are people so proud of ignorance?

When the president is an ignoramus, I guess it trickles down from there.

I'm sort-of kidding, but: we have a president who basically hates learning and thinking. He relies on instincts (like reptiles), that's why his supporters love him. Any data that runs contrary to his is discredited, much like your co-worker. He's a Bush-style thinker, he doesn't really think.
yeah this guy was the same one who had this convo with me:

and the jews killed jesus!!!

yeah cause jews just went around nailing people to crosses.

well then who?

the romans.

EXACTLY, ROMAN JEWS!!!

He was completely serious and to this day when I bring it up in a comedic fashion he will not laugh and he completely believes that it was roman jews who nailed jesus to the cross.

- Galt - 12-08-2004

Mel Gibson told me it was a rowdy crowd of Jews who clammored for them to kill Jesus.

- crx girl - 12-08-2004

it took me a long time to come to terms with this. and it's still hard to accept. it's helped that i've managed to ingratiate myself to a fairly decent crew of people. however, the fact is: 99% of the people you encounter are less intelligent and/or more ignorant than you.

you just have to learn to adapt without giving up all hope for human kind

- Black Lazerus - 12-08-2004

I was in the store yesterday and asked one of the store people where to find the Twine, she had no idea what I was talking about. now this is a American white person i was speaking to, so I say " you know the stuff you tie up news papers with?". and she goes "oh you mean rope"? she tell s me what isle it's in and i grab 2. as a pass her i give her one and say " this is what twine is see it says twine right on the package rope is what you tie people up with" and go get my things rung up.

- Gooch - 12-08-2004

if she was black, and didn't know what twine was....would it have been an issue???

stupid is stupid.

- Black Lazerus - 12-08-2004

black people are expected to be ignorant.
plus you don't have to wrap up newspaper in the ghetto, so i could have given them a pass on knowing.

- Gooch - 12-08-2004

see..i don't view it as race for ingorance. i've made my share of racial/ethnic jokes..but i really don't believe it is race, but instead about education/opportunity and environment that determines ignorance/stupidity. the lower the income, the more prevelent alcohol/drugs, the lower the education level....the stupider/ignorant/out-of-touch people are. Take a new look at those red states who voted Bush, yet have barely a pot to piss in. Case and point. and in those places...religion becomes influential..but in many cases...the organized religion is more concerned with it's own conslidation of power, wealth and lnfluence rather than the betterment of it's members. So, they use religious belief and a narrow-minded box and people who look for this view, and are comfortable in this tiny little box of their perceptions walk around with it...with this huge need to make sure all fits within this box...and bandy about rhetoric...and can never question anything at all...b/c that would pitch the balance of their tettering Jenga belief system...which isn't based on information or knowledge...but instead...plugging in gaps to make them feel better in their little boxes.

- Gooch - 12-08-2004

"rhetoric has become the enemy in this information age b/c very often it is mistaken for knowledge or enlightenment"
- some fat guy who posts on CDIH