CDIH
The Hamburg Cell - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Entertainment Unlimited (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: The Hamburg Cell (/showthread.php?tid=9862)

- GonzoStyle - 01-06-2005

Guess they didnt wait long to do a movie on 9/11.

I saw a commercial last night on HBO for this, it's going to be on next Monday the 10th at 10PM on HBO. Which is strange since they premiere movies usually on saturday.

Didn't see much in the preview, dunno if its about them in general or the planning of 9/11, etc. They did show scenes of them flying a plane.

I don't like the fact that some if not a lot of this film is actually fictional. Mainly because in this day and age many people take watching a movie as if they read a book because movies never lie. So a lot of people will begin spewing what they see in the film as fact and then it begins to spread and people begin to believe it.

Quote:Like hundreds of other exchange students living in Hamburg, Germany in the 1990s, Muhammad Atta, Ziad Jarrah and Marwan al-Shehhi were quiet, orderly tenants who never drew attention to themselves. But on September 11, 2001, they became part of the worst attack ever waged on U.S. soil. This daring drama sheds light on these young Islamic men who were transformed into Al Qaeda killers while in Hamburg--and who would eventually enact the diabolical plan that destroyed the Twin Towers. This semi-fictionalized dramatic account stars Karim Saleh, Kamel, Agni Tsangaridou and Omar Berdouni. Directed by Antonia Bird; written by Ronan Bennett and Alice Pearman. Widescreen.

just saw this post on IMDB, seems this film has already been shown in other countries. Answers the question I had though about the subject matter of the film.

Quote:The basic concept of this film is quite interesting, looking at the events from the terrorists point of view is actually a commendable and thought provoking direction to come from.

I just have one serious problem with the film, the constant interefering and needless footage of the Twin Towers being hit and destroyed. It simply wasn't needed, if Michael Moore can make Farenheit 9/11 without a single shot of the towers, then so can these guys. Its there for nothing more than impact in a film that on the face of it may have been quite boring without it. If the last shot of the film had been the guy walking onto the plane (as it was) with no previous footage of the towers, the impact of that shot alone would have been incredible.

In conclusion, interesting story and approached well, but needless shock footage ruins the film and its credability.

Quote:The (very) brief footage of the towers being hit was used to show the shock on the face of Ziad Jarrah's girlfriend as she watches the TV broadcasts and realises her boyfriend is surely involved in it.

This was a frightening film, all the more chilling that it's world TV premiere came the night before the Beslan massacre. Almost as frightening is the lack of reaction to the film. It is not sympathetic to the hijackers, as some have claimed - the film explores their motivations, which were, according to this script at least, far more complicated than just Jihad or hatred for the USA.

The film doesn't attempt to explain how the hijackers managed to take over the planes or guide them so successfully to their targets, because this isn't known. It also doesn't involve itself in the flight school/Florida intrigue that some of the hijackers (particularly Atta) were involved in for up to a year before 9/11.

It limits itself to 'giving faces' to and trying to understand the hijackers, and the actors who play Atta, Jarrah and al Shibh show the intensity superbly - and Karim Saleh looks spookily similar to Jarrah.

Superb and brave filmmaking.

- Galt - 01-06-2005

there's a cool show on the History channel that I saw this weekend. It's kind of like an episode of 24 in that it's done in real-time. The show is called "Zero Hour" and they chronicle the last hour of flight 11 (the first one) from inside. Everything that happened from when the dudes got on the plane, how they attacked, how they took over, what the sewardesses were doing. It was really really interesting.

History channel also has episodes on the last hour of Columbine, Chernobyl, and the Serin attack in Japan.

I think those are the only four episodes they have.

Galt Wrote:there's a cool show on the History channel that I saw this weekend. It's kind of like an episode of 24 in that it's done in real-time. The show is called "Zero Hour" and they chronicle the last hour of flight 11 (the first one) from inside. Everything that happened from when the dudes got on the plane, how they attacked, how they took over, what the sewardesses were doing. It was really really interesting.

History channel also has episodes on the last hour of Columbine, Chernobyl, and the Serin attack in Japan.

I think those are the only four episodes they have.
Yes, I saw the columbine and flight 11 episodes. They were both excellent, it really chronicled the whole flight amazingly and made you remember that it wasnt just the people in the building but the people on the planes. The sad part was that they were completely clueless that they were even being hijacked up until the end, though you have to figure they had to know something was up. Plus what were the chances that the one guy that stab would have been one of the only people who could have actually done something. As well as you had basically 4 guys with nothing but knives and dozens of people on the plane, you'd figure if anyone had a clue they could have taken them but then again no one could get in the cockpit.

- Galt - 01-06-2005

I actually knew of that guy Danny Lewin. I'd called him a bunch of times when I was selling technology. I was focusing on startup tech/service providers, and Akamai was one of the fastest growing ones in the late 90s. So I called them a bunch, but it never worked out. There were about 5-10 whales that I went after in those years, and that company was one of them, and he was the man to deal with at that company.

That was my only even remote connection to anyone involved in anything that day.

yeah I knew basically no one, I knew a few people who made it out but no one who died. It was really intense to watch though especially when they started to see the buildings around them and they finally began to realize what was going on. Also what was interesting was the amount of wasted time especially from the people monitoring the flights and the people at the company who kept on getting disconnected, so much wasted time.

- Galt - 01-06-2005

The 9/11 commission report focuses on the communications flaws in pretty good detail.

- Buttmunch - 01-06-2005

They didn't seek my approval in casting or portraying Marwan al-Shehhi.

I'm going to sue.

I WAS THE ONE WHO MADE THE CORRELATION FIRST, TERRORIST!!!

- Galt - 01-06-2005

I recall when he posted his picture in Keyser's "Real people post here" thread, I also called him a terrorist.

- Buttmunch - 01-07-2005

Um, that wasn't my actual picture.

It was Marwan al-Shehhi.

- Galt - 01-07-2005

well then, that's not fair. How am I supposed to know that. Why even post in Keyser's thread if you are just going to disrespect it in such a manner?

- Buttmunch - 01-07-2005

That's the joke.

The image on the left looks like me.

[Image: marwanalshehhi.jpg]

- GonzoStyle - 01-07-2005

it's so fuckin frightening, it's you!!!!