FBHW Forums
Obama Smoking - Printable Version

+- FBHW Forums (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw)
+-- Forum: Way Up High In The Playpen (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: The Touchy Subject Forum (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Obama Smoking (/showthread.php?tid=2072)

Pages: 1 2

Obama Smoking - Rock Monster - 12-10-2008

Do you think it's an issue?

I don't like it, and it bothers me a little bit, even though I know it shouldn't. It bothers me that the most powerful man in the US, that should be a role model to kids, has a weakness. It also bothers me that the Democratic party obviously kept this from us until he was elected. I think it would be less of an issue for me if I knew all along.

Obama Smoking - Allyson - 12-10-2008

Obama smoking bothers me more than McCain smoking. Obama is supposed to be the face of youth, change, future, and liberals. He shouldn't be smoking. At least if it was McCain smoking I could understand being that he is old and conservative.

Obama Smoking - 0rz0ski - 12-10-2008

Hmm...maybe this is a way to make one of my friends stop smoking. "Hey, Obama smokes, and we all know how much you hate Obama. Don't be like Obama. Quit smoking."

Obama Smoking - zongetsu - 12-10-2008

At least its tabbaco and not crack.

Obama Smoking - lokizilla - 12-10-2008

Rock Monster Wrote:Do you think it's an issue?

I don't like it, and it bothers me a little bit, even though I know it shouldn't. It bothers me that the most powerful man in the US, that should be a role model to kids, has a weakness. It also bothers me that the Democratic party obviously kept this from us until he was elected. I think it would be less of an issue for me if I knew all along.

Actually in several interviews with Michelle Obama, she told the reporters that for her to agree to let him to run, he had to promise her to quit smoking. So if he's already broken that promise to her, I wonder what other promises are going to be broken.

lokizilla Wrote:Actually in several interviews with Michelle Obama, she told the reporters that for her to agree to let him to run, he had to promise her to quit smoking. So if he's already broken that promise to her, I wonder what other promises are going to be broken.

He's a politition. All of them.

Rock Monster Wrote:
lokizilla Wrote:Actually in several interviews with Michelle Obama, she told the reporters that for her to agree to let him to run, he had to promise her to quit smoking. So if he's already broken that promise to her, I wonder what other promises are going to be broken.

He's a politician. All of them.

True. But it is worse to break a promise to your wife and kids, than a nation. We all know that politicians lie, and we know he isn't going to keep his promises, because he doesn't have to look us in the eyes, and say sorry. But to his wife and kids....he has to live with them.

Obama Smoking - born2bone - 12-10-2008

If the man wants to smoke, who the hell cares?

Brian Wrote:If the man wants to smoke, who the hell cares?

Go to above previous posts about how the President is a role model to our young people in this country. I wonder how much tobacco sales have spiked since this has happened.

Obama Smoking - Allyson - 12-10-2008

He can smoke all he wants, I don't really care. It just says something about him. Like fat people can eat all they want and no one cares, you just judge them for it.

Obama Smoking - linzi - 12-10-2008

I think the point is, he said he'd quit and if he can't handle the stress and continues to smoke because of it, what's going to happen when the real pressure kicks in?

Allyson Wrote:He can smoke all he wants, I don't really care. It just says something about him. Like fat people can eat all they want and no one cares, you just judge them for it.

You are so right. I'm just saying that he and his wife shouldn't have said in almost every interview how he promised to quit if she would agree to him running. Smoking is a personal decision, but a promise is another thing. That is what I have the issue with.

Obama Smoking - chlietoris63 - 12-10-2008

[quote author=rockmonster board=bs thread=2607 post=56483 time=1228915571]Do you think it's an issue?

I don't like it, and it bothers me a little bit, even though I know it shouldn't. It bothers me that the most powerful man in the US, that should be a role model to kids, has a weakness. It also bothers me that the Democratic party obviously kept this from us until he was elected. I think it would be less of an issue for me if I knew all along.[/quot

Did it bother you that Clinton was stuffing cigars into interns during HIS term? (Granted, he, apparently, did not smoke them beforehand!)

EVERYBODY has a weakness! Why is it that we need a "virgin" to espouse our ideals??? We HAVE never had a president who did not have some weakness.

Yes, he should quit smoking! However, based on PAST presidents and their peculiarities, this is NOT a big issue to me. It was FAR MORE EMBARRASSING to see Clinton denying an affair when he had one!!! It made us look stupid as a nation, in the eyes of the world.

If you have never smoked, you DO NOT know the difficulty in quitting.

BTW, I am a registered Republican, who could not abide the McCain/Palin ticket that would continue 4 more years of "Bush Economics." Definition of Bush Economics - Pertend it ain't there and it won't be!"

chlietoris63 Wrote:Did it bother you that Clinton was stuffing cigars into interns during HIS term? (Granted, he, apparently, did not smoke them beforehand!)

EVERYBODY has a weakness!

Yes, he should quit smoking! However, based on PAST presidents and their peculiarities, this is NOT a big issue to me. It was FAR MORE EMBARRASSING to see Clinton denying an affair when he had one!!! It made us look stupid as a nation, in the eyes of the world.

Yes, it did bother me what Clinton did. Yes, everyone has a weakness. I just don't like the Idea of a role model for everyone, not just kids, smoking, and perhaps influencing others.

And no, I don't know the difficulty of quitting. Those who smoke will also never know the wisdom of never starting.

Obama Smoking - chlietoris63 - 12-10-2008

Rock Monster Wrote:
chlietoris63 Wrote:Did it bother you that Clinton was stuffing cigars into interns during HIS term? (Granted, he, apparently, did not smoke them beforehand!)

EVERYBODY has a weakness!

Yes, it did bother me what Clinton did. Yes, everyone has a weakness. I just don't like the Idea of a role model for everyone, not just kids, smoking, and perhaps influencing others.

And no, I don't know the difficulty of quitting. Those who smoke will also never know the wisdom of never starting.

So glad YOU decided to never start, truly!!

Every "Role Model" influences those in their sphere to do good, bad and everything in between. So, as a parent, is it not our responsibility to TEACH our children what we wish them to know and also teach them of the ways in which the world will want to "TAINT" our teachings? ( And by the way, from history, SOME parent teach their children such a NARROW world view, that as soon as those children leave "the Nest", they explore EVERYTHING that ISN'T their "Parents" view.)

"Those who smoke will also never know the wisdom of never starting."

An ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure! ( That was just a judgmental statement, designed to make YOU feel good about you...)

I understand this issue blind-siding you... I do not want a smoker in the White House. I am a smoker and do not WANT any of my children to start!!! Fortunately, none of them have. The ONLY reason they have not is because WE gave them ALL the tools necessary Not to start. Yes, we are still smokers; we are trying to quit.

This issue is not as black/white as some would like to make it. ( No Pun Intended).

P.S. Can I borrow the suit? Just for one night...promise..

Obama Smoking - plungerhand - 12-10-2008

zongetsu Wrote:At least its tabbaco and not crack.

As far as you know....

SMOKING IS COOL

Obama Smoking - -Jiggy- - 12-10-2008

As long as the man can turn our country around I don't care what he does on his own time! For the record no one has been hiding the fact that he smokes. I remember hearing about this back in the summer. Has it been widely talked about, well no. That would be your mainstream media hard at work for you telling you what you need to know.

Obama Smoking - potthole - 12-10-2008

lokizilla Wrote:I wonder how much tobacco sales have spiked since this has happened.

My guess... not much.

Seriously, has anybody heard Obama endorse smoking? I sure haven't. Yes, as President he will be the symbolic "face" of the country, and is in a position where he's a role model, but please. He isn't going around telling people to smoke.

Obama Smoking - providencecrow - 12-10-2008

potthole Wrote:
lokizilla Wrote:I wonder how much tobacco sales have spiked since this has happened.

My guess... not much.

Seriously, has anybody heard Obama endorse smoking? I sure haven't. Yes, as President he will be the symbolic "face" of the country, and is in a position where he's a role model, but please. He isn't going around telling people to smoke.

No but i am going to endorse Obama smoking, and im not even a huge fan of the guy, but seriously let the man do what he wants to do. The fact that he smokes or does not smoke does not change any aspect of my life in any way what so ever. So i will second the "Who Cares?" comment.

And to those who are saying that the president should be a role model, that's all well and good, but look back, can you find a recent president who has actually been a really good role model? If Obama's biggest fault is him smoking, then this country will be in great shape.

Obama Smoking - potthole - 12-10-2008

Look at Sheen's character from The West Wing. He smoked, and he was one bad emmer-effer! :o

I don't care if he smokes. The point I'm going for is that he promised his wife. I hope his wife rides him hard on this.

Obama Smoking - linzi - 12-10-2008

lokizilla Wrote:I don't care if he smokes. The point I'm going for is that he promised his wife. I hope his wife stays on his case about this.
Fixed!
And I hope he quits as well, for his children.

Obama Smoking - -Jiggy- - 12-10-2008

lokizilla Wrote:I hope his wife rides him hard on this.
Hey hey come on. If you want to go down this path take it over to the touchy subject forum. Stay classy.

Obama Smoking - hotzester - 12-11-2008

Might I remind those who demonize the guy that, if he's resumed, he's partaking in a LEGAL activity, the tax dollars from which fund many of your precious programs?

Second - you can look down on smokers all you want. But I don't want to hear it when people start coming down on YOUR activities "because they're dangerous". I'm talking to those of you who ski, ride a snowmobile, drive a car, eat fast food or skateboard.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Obama Smoking - Rock Monster - 12-11-2008

hotzester Wrote:Might I remind those who demonize the guy...

I don't think anyone here has been "demonizing" him.

Criticize might have been a better choice of words, though the implication remains similar. Point being, he's doing something legal. Who cares? And this coming from someone who could not possibly dislike his politics any more!

I think that all Americans have the right to criticize him. The main point that I have is that he is supposed to be a role model. How many kids are going to think it's cool to smoke now, regardless of what they are taught.

I also agree that if this is his biggest flaw, we're going to be in pretty good shape for the next four years.

Right, but let's be honest about this - for people who smoke, how many of you started smoking because John Wayne, or some other person in the spotlight smoked?

Let's compare that to the number of people who started smoking because their parents smoked, or just buckled to peer pressure? My suspicion is that the second group FAR outweighs the first group.

We as a society have a propensity to think that kids are mindless lemmings who mimick everything they see on TV. If that's true, why don't we ever hear about the kid who organized a home makeover for some family that was down on their luck? Where's the kid who joined a book club because Oprah told her to do it? Or do children only mirror the bad media influences?

hotzester Wrote:.... why don't we ever hear about the kid who organized a home makeover for some family that was down on their luck? Where's the kid who joined a book club because Oprah told her to do it? Or do children only mirror the bad media influences?

"Good" news doesn't make as good of a news headline as "bad" news. As much as that sucks, it's the world we live in today.

We don't live in that world anymore. The internet has changed it. You can get all kinds of news from the internet. Where is it? Where's someone's blog post or YouTube video about all of the children who are volunteering at homeless shelters because they saw a celebrity do it in a movie?

And if I'm wrong, and only bad news gets attention, where are the stories about high school kids who crash weddings to pick up women? Why is it always limited to drinking/drugs, smoking, sex and violence that they're picking up from movies?

Obama Smoking - lt - 12-11-2008

hotzester makes the best point, he is doing nothing illegal. And I bet that he won't be doing it in public much at all, the only reason your young kids are going to find out is because you and the media are saying "OMG! what about the kids!". Everyone knows cigarettes are bad for your health, it's not a big secret anymore, I smoked because I enjoyed it.

As far as being a role model, parents the biggest one of all. Make sure you are the perfect role model before blaming the rest of the world for your inadequacies. I feel one of the biggest problems this country has is that more and more people no longer take any effin responsibility unless it is to their advantage.

BTW - I voted for McCain.

Quote:I feel one of the biggest problems this country has is that more and more people no longer take any effin responsibility unless it is to their advantage.

Wow, I'm just giving out the karma like its candy today.

I must've seen someone do that in a movie.

Obama Smoking - plungerhand - 12-11-2008

fire in the hole!!! C'mon everybody, light up!!!

Obama Smoking - khef - 12-11-2008

Agreed, it Goes back to parenting. Alot of parents have found T.V/ video games to be a good babysitter. Yeah, well "good" babysitters thought to be nice later get arrested for being perv.
Parents need to look into what their kids are doing, and talk to them for at least a half hour and LISTEN to them as an observer and not a ruler. Find out what's going on in their life. Then you can try to give input. Constructive criticism goes along way, but hear them out first before commenting. If they are playing violent video games, make sure they Know the difference between game and reality.
Just because they a role model or someone people look up to, they also can/will make mistakes or bad choices. It's up to parents to let them know why smoking is bad, a poor decision , health reasons , the way it's not accepted in society, etc..Don't threaten them, but simply explain to them in a calm manner and some sense of humor, that you are going to kick their ass, beat their ass, lock them up in basement, take out back and put them down like a horse.Be creative. If they see you as a friend as well as parent, they are more likely to open up to you to ask for guidance.That's how good morals are born.
No this doesn't work for all. some kids are punk a-holes whether parents are or not.

No, my wife and I have no children. We do not want the responsibility. we have nieces that go back to their parents at anytime. WE'll adopt or foster in near future.

Obama Smoking - khef - 12-11-2008

Wow [oooWOW], I was long winded. Now I'm going outside to smoke.

Well said, Khef. If I had a nickel for every time one of my parents explained to me that what I was seeing on TV was "only a TV show", I certainly wouldn't be typing this from work today.

Khef Wrote:Wow [oooWOW], I was long winded. Now I'm going outside to smoke.

Just make sure no kids are watching!!

Obama Smoking - providencecrow - 12-11-2008

hotzester Wrote:And if I'm wrong, and only bad news gets attention, where are the stories about high school kids who crash weddings to pick up women? Why is it always limited to drinking/drugs, smoking, sex and violence that they're picking up from movies?

Because those topics are the easiest to point out, you could claim some guy crashed a wedding, but you can clearly see someone drinking, smoking, boning, and fighting. (Or in my case, all 4 things, at all times)

But how do you know he crashed a wedding BECAUSE of a movie?

Case in point - 101 Dalmations. In that movie, Cruella smokes. She also stole dogs. Why is it people only blame the movie for smoking, and not dog-napping?

If movies are so influential, why A) do only parts of the character's behavior influence people, and B) why isn't everyone influenced by those behaviors?

Obama Smoking - providencecrow - 12-11-2008

hotzester Wrote:If movies are so influential, why A) do only parts of the character's behavior influence people, and B) why isn't everyone influenced by those behaviors?

Because movies are an easy scapegoat. It all comes down to people being unwilling to be accountable for their own actions. It's much easier to say "I learned to smoke from the movies, its not my fault!" than saying "I tried smoking, and got addicted, and now am having a hard time stopping smoking"

So let me be the first to say:

I tried smoking on my own accord (i didnt 'learn it from tv'), i got addicted, and now it's my own problem that it's so damn hard to quit.