FBHW Forums
Arguments with your friends - Printable Version

+- FBHW Forums (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw)
+-- Forum: Way Up High In The Playpen (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: The Touchy Subject Forum (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Arguments with your friends (/showthread.php?tid=2675)

Pages: 1 2

Arguments with your friends - Rock Monster - 03-09-2009

What are some on-going arguments that you have had with your friends, that you know you're right, and they are stupid.

Mine is dumb. Assume you were in the back of a pick-up, traveling down the highway at 70mph, with a car following closely behind. Now, if you were to jump out of the back of the truck, and land on the windshield of the trailing car, what would happen? (Assuming that you don't land feet first, or head first... as much surface area hitting the windshield as possible.) Would you crack the windshield and bounce off, or would you shatter it and go through, and into the car?

Arguments with your friends - Howie Feltersnatch - 03-09-2009

bi-fold/tri-fold

is a bi-fold a wallet with 2 folds (creases) or a wallet with one fold (crease) or is the 'fold' term is in reference to fold as in "getting your money back 10 fold"

which is the bi-fold?

[Image: Dockers-bi-fold-wallet-money-clip_5504_r.jpg]

OR

[Image: 549717_p.jpg]

Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:bi-fold/tri-fold

is a bi-fold a wallet with 2 folds (creases) or a wallet with one fold (crease) or is the 'fold' term is in reference to fold as in "getting your money back 10 fold"

which is the bi-fold?

http://www.hotref.com/category/0907/Dockers-bi-fold-wallet-money-clip_5504_r.jpg

OR

http://www.brookstone.com/bs_assets/images/shop/large_300/549717_p.jpg

Top one is bi-fold, hence the pic proberties calling it "dockers-bi-fold." It refers to the "sections."

Arguments with your friends - Allyson - 03-09-2009

The ongoing fight I have with my boyfriend is mathematical theory. He claims that math is completely made up, just things that philosophers pulled out of the sky. My stance is it's not made up because two of something is clearly more than one of something, it's double, times two, etc. Just because we affix made-up words to them doesn't mean the theory is made up.

i googled bi-fold and got both images

the one doesn't say "this is not a bi-fold" in the description either

Arguments with your friends - mainerliser - 03-09-2009

Allyson Wrote:The ongoing fight I have with my boyfriend is mathematical theory. He claims that math is completely made up, just things that philosophers pulled out of the sky. My stance is it's not made up because two of something is clearly more than one of something, it's double, times two, etc. Just because we affix made-up words to them doesn't mean the theory is made up.

Mathmatical theory made up?!!! He's killing me!!!! I'll set my Statistician (sp) on him and he'll never win that fight!!

Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:i googled bi-fold and got both images

So, what side are you on?

You can't trust google, as anyone can put anything on there. Go to a reputable site... such as Fossil.

Bi fold wallets:
http://www.fossil.com/products/bi-fold-category-wallets-men-accessories-C30015-a1103.jsp

Tri-fold wallets:
http://www.fossil.com/products/tri-fold-category-wallets-men-accessories-C30015-a1203.jsp

Allyson Wrote:The ongoing fight I have with my boyfriend is mathematical theory. He claims that math is completely made up, just things that philosophers pulled out of the sky. My stance is it's not made up because two of something is clearly more than one of something, it's double, times two, etc. Just because we affix made-up words to them doesn't mean the theory is made up.

Haven't we already been over this one? You're right, the B/F is wrong.

Arguments with your friends - Allyson - 03-09-2009

Rock Monster Wrote:

Haven't we already been over this one? You're right, the B/F is wrong.

Oh I know. I just like hearing it.

Rock Monster Wrote:

So, what side are you on?

I forget....

the right side

Allyson Wrote:
Rock Monster Wrote:Haven't we already been over this one? You're right, the B/F is wrong.

Oh I know. I just like hearing it.

Typical woman... :Smile

Arguments with your friends - Queenie - 03-09-2009

People who do not understand something have to say that it is not true.

God forbid they be wrong about something

Arguments with your friends - zdunklee - 03-09-2009

Howie, wallets are labeled incorrectly, a wallet with a single fold is a Bi-fold wallet, and a wallet with two folds is a tri-fold wallet. Although it doesn't make any sense at all to label them as such to start with.

Arguments with your friends - potthole - 03-09-2009

It wasn't over a serious topic, but in high school I had two friends who had some very heated debates over how one would get a tree to grow Doritos.

...Damn, I had some loser friends.

Arguments with your friends - Philly Mike - 03-09-2009

Really ??? i missed this one ever being mentioned.

Regardless who came up with the concept of math. Math is the way we created to actually quantify things or give things a value in an organized system. Kind of like the way science is a method to go about studying.... well anything.

The argument I have had with someone that I can remember is someone trying to tell me that .999~ (.999 keeps going on infinitely) = 1

This is based off the concept that if you have 1/3 of something it = .333~ which means because 3/3 = 1 that 3/3 must = .999~

Now to begin with he said this argument to me, is a complete nerd/geek argument but I think it seems to make no sense, because last time i checked the only number that can = 1 is 1 a number equals itself and that's it.

Arguments with your friends - zdunklee - 03-09-2009

Mike I am a math major, .9999... does equal one, but it is effing hard to explain to someone without a decent math background. Here is the best I can do for ya:

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.0.9999.html

Arguments with your friends - Philly Mike - 03-10-2009

I've see all the formulas and things like that, I still don't agree with it. Yes the values are so close they may as well =1 however there may be a future need with technology and all in which that difference will be true.

Math in itself is a science and things can change within it too as with all other sciences.

Arguments with your friends - Allyson - 03-10-2009

It's a limit. .9999999... approaches 1 but it never actually is 1. I'm a statistician, and I'm with Mike.

Arguments with your friends - zdunklee - 03-10-2009

For straight math a proof is a proof, and there are several different proofs that do not involve limits that show .999... = 1, and according to the rules of math are 100% true. An example would be:

x = 0.9999...
10x = 9.9999...
10x - x = 9.9999... - 0.9999...
9x = 9
x = 1.

Arguments with your friends - Biff - 03-10-2009

Philly Mike Wrote:This is based off the concept that if you have 1/3 of something it = .333~ which means because 3/3 = 1 that 3/3 must = .999~
I'm not going to sleep tonight.......

x = 0.9
10x = 9.0
10x - x = 9.0 - 0.9
9x = 8.1
x = 0.9

x = 0.99
10x = 9.9
10x - x = 9.9 - 0.99
9x = 8.91
x = .99

x = 0.999
10x = 9.99
10x - x = 9.99 - 0.999
9x = 8.991
x = 0.999

As you keep adding 9s, it approaches 1 but it never is 1. The only way that example would work is if your 9.9999... had one more 9 than 0.9999. Capisce?

K I'm done boring everyone with math.

Another argument I have with my boyfriend and mother is whether or not people who are born into poverty have a fair chance to make it in life. I think they sure as hell do if they work hard. Sure doing well in school and going to college has some to do with your upbringing, but just because you are born into hard times doesn't mean you are bound to be poor for the rest of your life. But that's more of a political debate.

Arguments with your friends - Rock Monster - 03-10-2009

Philly Mike Wrote:

Really ??? i missed this one ever being mentioned.

Regardless who came up with the concept of math. Math is the way we created to actually quantify things or give things a value in an organized system. Kind of like the way science is a method to go about studying.... well anything.

The argument I have had with someone that I can remember is someone trying to tell me that .999~ (.999 keeps going on infinitely) = 1

This is based off the concept that if you have 1/3 of something it = .333~ which means because 3/3 = 1 that 3/3 must = .999~

The flaw in this concept is that 1/3 does not = .3333 It's just as close as we can get with a decimal.

Arguments with your friends - dingdongyo - 03-10-2009

zdunklee Wrote:x = 0.9999...
10x = 9.9999...
9x = 9
x = 1.

^ this is correct

Allyson Wrote:Another argument I have with my boyfriend and mother is whether or not people who are born into poverty have a fair chance to make it in life. I think they sure as hell do if they work hard. Sure doing well in school and going to college has some to do with your upbringing, but just because you are born into hard times doesn't mean you are bound to be poor for the rest of your life. But that's more of a political debate.

i agree they have a chance. i don't agree it's fair. one person having to work harder than another to achieve the same amount of success is unbalanced, and therefore unfair.

Allyson Wrote:x = 0.9
10x = 9.0
10x - x = 9.0 - 0.9
9x = 8.1
x = 0.9

x = 0.99
10x = 9.9
10x - x = 9.9 - 0.99
9x = 8.91
x = .99

x = 0.999
10x = 9.99
10x - x = 9.99 - 0.999
9x = 8.991
x = 0.999

As you keep adding 9s, it approaches 1 but it never is 1. The only way that example would work is if your 9.9999... had one more 9 than 0.9999. Capisce?

K I'm done boring everyone with math.

Another argument I have with my boyfriend and mother is whether or not people who are born into poverty have a fair chance to make it in life. I think they sure as hell do if they work hard. Sure doing well in school and going to college has some to do with your upbringing, but just because you are born into hard times doesn't mean you are bound to be poor for the rest of your life. But that's more of a political debate.

Still wrong, now I see the flaw in your argument, you are at some point truncating .9999... in your head. Those numbers you provided are completely different from what I am saying. For those arguments to follow with .999... then it would have to end at some point and it doesn't.

One of the most basic elementary properties of the Real Number System is that you can always find a number between ANY two given numbers, unless those numbers are equal. If this property does not hold, then the Real Numbers cannot exist. Now if you can find me a number between .999... and 1 I'll show you a unicorn.

Arguments with your friends - Rock Monster - 03-10-2009

Rock Monster Wrote:Assume you were in the back of a pick-up, traveling down the highway at 70mph, with a car following closely behind. Now, if you were to jump out of the back of the truck, and land on the windshield of the trailing car, what would happen? (Assuming that you don't land feet first, or head first... as much surface area hitting the windshield as possible.) Would you crack the windshield and bounce off, or would you shatter it and go through, and into the car?

Yes, I am quoting myself....

I'm curious on your opinions.

Damn you. I can't let this go.

[Image: unicorn.jpg]

There is always a number between .9999.... and 1. It's .9999....9. No matter how many 9s there are, there will always be another 9 to add on. The flaw with your math is that if x = .999... then 10x = 9.999...0 and 9.999...0 - .999... does not equal 9.

Ok seriously. Done.

Arguments with your friends - Biff - 03-10-2009

You'd crack it and bounce off.

Rock Monster Wrote:
Rock Monster Wrote:Assume you were in the back of a pick-up, traveling down the highway at 70mph, with a car following closely behind. Now, if you were to jump out of the back of the truck, and land on the windshield of the trailing car, what would happen? (Assuming that you don't land feet first, or head first... as much surface area hitting the windshield as possible.) Would you crack the windshield and bounce off, or would you shatter it and go through, and into the car?

Yes, I am quoting myself....

I'm curious on your opinions.

I'm going with crack and bounce off.

Again you are truncating .9999..., in my proof it keeps going, it never ends, there is not another 9 because it has infinity 9's already, and there is no infinity +1. I'm not taking .9999...0 anywhere in that proof, that would imply it ends at some point, I'm subtracting .99999...99999..... and so on from itself, and you get the 9x=9.

Anyway I am off to the job interview, we can continue later if you want, but I can assure you this isn't even an argument amongst mathematicians, our only argument about this is how to convince people it is true.

Arguments with your friends - krystal - 03-10-2009

Allyson's point just makes more sense to me, and I hate math. .9999~ approaches one, but can never be one, unless you round up. If you subtract x on one side and .9999~ on the other, aren't you saying that x=.9999~ instead of 1? If so, doesn't this equation contradict itself?

Quote:x = 0.9999...
10x = 9.9999...
9x = 9
x = 1.

Krystal Wrote:Allyson's point just makes more sense to me, and I hate math. .9999~ approaches one, but can never be one, unless you round up. If you subtract x on one side and .9999~ on the other, aren't you saying that x=.9999~ instead of 1? If so, doesn't this equation contradict itself?

Quote:x = 0.9999...
10x = 9.9999...
9x = 9
x = 1.

lets do it a little differently:
x = 0.999....
10x = 9.999...

equation 2 - equation 1

.....(10x = 9.999...)
...- ( 1x = 0.999...)
........9x = 9

..........x = 1

dingdongyo Wrote:lets do it a little differently:

x = 0.999....
10x = 9.999...

equation 2 - equation 1

.....(10x = 9.999...)
...- ( 1x = 0.999...)
........9x = 9

..........x = 1

How can x= both .9999~ and 1????

Krystal Wrote:
dingdongyo Wrote:lets do it a little differently:

x = 0.999....
10x = 9.999...

equation 2 - equation 1

.....(10x = 9.999...)
...- ( 1x = 0.999...)
........9x = 9

..........x = 1

How can x= both .9999~ and 1????

because 0.999... is equal to 1. it is the same number.

But only because you say it is. There is nothing there mathmatically that supports that.

Krystal Wrote:But only because you say it is. There is nothing there mathmatically that supports that.

actually, see the math above.

let me ask you this: if 0.999... <> 1, what do you subtract from 1 to get 0.999...?

an infinite number of 0s and a 1 at the end.

it's infinite. there is no end to place a 1 at. that's where we're getting hung up.

Arguments with your friends - alex - 03-10-2009

It's an ongoing issue that my best friend is actually a snake in a person suit.
We don't argue about though. Does that count?

That makes sense, but still . . . I effing hate math.