FBHW Forums
133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - Printable Version

+- FBHW Forums (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw)
+-- Forum: Way Up High In The Playpen (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: The Touchy Subject Forum (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: 133t cyclist douchebags on the highway (/showthread.php?tid=520)

Pages: 1 2

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - misterfive - 06-29-2008

Why the hell are we paying taxes for bike paths when these a-holes aren't using them?

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - potthole - 06-29-2008

What type of highway are you referring to? The interstates, or a "highway" like Chicago Drive?

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - misterfive - 06-29-2008

I mean city streets where there is a perfectly serviceable bike path that runs along the road.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - potthole - 06-29-2008

Ah. If there's a path parallel to a busy roadway, then I'll agree, the guys on the bike are better off not on the street. However, that's not always the case, and so long as they're following the rules and laws that are in place for bikers, I feel that they are in every right to be on the road as well.

Yes, there are some situations where they probably shouldn't be on the road, such as trying to pedal down 28th street at 5 p.m., but I think that if done with the proper attention to safety, bikers aren't the hazard that many make them out to be. Overall, people are too quick to call bikers "idiots" or other such things.

There are plenty of bikers who don't take the proper attention to safety, and either hit the road in situations where they really shouldn't be, or without wearing the proper safety equipment (not referring just to helmet, but also attire which makes them move visible), and I think they give the bikers who do follow the rules of the road a bum wrap.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - brosephina - 06-30-2008

I was leaving from visiting my parents one day, and they live in a pretty rural area. I got to the stop sign at the end of their road and saw a pack of these a-holes about 5 wide and ten long, a solid moving rectangle of annoyance. I quick hit the gas and turned as fast as I could to ensure I wouldn't be stuck behind them.

They should go into town where there are bike paths. Country roads are not even SAFE for something like that.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - potthole - 06-30-2008

Country roads aren't safe for them? How the hell much traffic do you have out on a country road?

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - brosephina - 07-01-2008

It's not so much traffic volume, but how people drive out there. I really don't know how more people don't get pulled over by county (especially Allegan county, they're always on the prowl), but I didn't even feel safe walking out there when I lived with my parents. Combine poor visibility with people who speed... I just think that cyclists are safer closer to town where bike paths are readily available.

I don't really care either way because I don't "cycle", but that's awful big roadkill to try and shovel up.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - potthole - 07-01-2008

brosephina Wrote:It's not so much traffic volume, but how people drive out there. I really don't know how more people don't get pulled over by county (especially Allegan county, they're always on the prowl), but I didn't even feel safe walking out there when I lived with my parents. Combine poor visibility with people who speed... I just think that cyclists are safer closer to town where bike paths are readily available.

I don't really care either way because I don't "cycle", but that's awful big roadkill to try and shovel up.

Bikers in a pack like you mentioned are doing the right thing to remain safe. They aren't the a-holes. It's the drivers that drive like a maniac that are the a-holes.

My dad and his friends are bikers. They have had stuff thrown at them, been sworn at, and nearly hit by cars while out riding. They follow all the laws that are in place for people riding bikes, they wear equipment that makes them as visible as possible, and they do as much as possible to stay off of busy roads, and out of the way of traffic.

My dad will put in well over a thousand miles a summer on his bike, and biking is a large part of what keeps him in good health. It frustrates me to see people not give bikers the proper respect on the road (such as not giving them any space when passing, even though there isn't any oncoming traffic), or to see them referred to as idiots or a-holes, when all they are doing is enjoying a sport they love.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - brosephina - 07-01-2008

Oh I always give them the space, if there is (naturally) room to allow it... besides that I drive a Chevy Aveo so they'd probably sooner be able to take me out than me take them out! I am just willing to throw out the devil's advocate opinion...

(PS the ones in my neighborhood ARE a-holes... they don't "Share the road" despite my efforts to share... I feel that if I move over a little, they can move over a little too, for everyone's sake)

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - born2bone - 07-01-2008

I say run em over!

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - Howie Feltersnatch - 07-01-2008

http://www.break.com/index/demonstrator-gets-run-over.html

lets do this

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - boizalynne - 07-04-2008

I have a theory about a-holes who ride bikes with traffic.... I believe that they think when they wear spandex shorts and day-glo shirts with their pointy helmets, they believe that they are aerodynamically magic and can go as fast as cars.... bicyclers on the road are the worst part of summer.......

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - potthole - 07-04-2008

boizalynne Wrote:I have a theory about a-holes who ride bikes with traffic.... I believe that they think when they wear spandex shorts and day-glo shirts with their pointy helmets, they believe that they are aerodynamically magic and can go as fast as cars.... bicyclers on the road are the worst part of summer.......

Well damn, you must not hate construction too much, in that case.

All you need to do as a driver is give a biker some space. When passing them, just move over to the side a little bit. If there's incoming traffic when you're approaching a biker, just take a few seconds to be patient, slow down, let the approaching traffic get past, and then go around the biker. Does it seriously make you be that far behind schedule?

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - boizalynne - 07-04-2008

potthole Wrote:
boizalynne Wrote:I have a theory about a-holes who ride bikes with traffic.... I believe that they think when they wear spandex shorts and day-glo shirts with their pointy helmets, they believe that they are aerodynamically magic and can go as fast as cars.... bicyclers on the road are the worst part of summer.......

Well damn, you must not hate construction too much, in that case.

All you need to do as a driver is give a biker some space. When passing them, just move over to the side a little bit. If there's incoming traffic when you're approaching a biker, just take a few seconds to be patient, slow down, let the approaching traffic get past, and then go around the biker. Does it seriously make you be that far behind schedule?
I stand corrected... Construction is the worst part of summer in Michigan...
And of course bikers are not the main cause of people being behind schedual. The problem that I have with bikers is the fact that many (not all) of them seem to believe that they can pedal as fast as cars, not giving way to the ten-car-lineup behind them because for some reason they seem to believe they are flowing with traffic instead of holding it up. By all means, if any of you bike, continue to do so... but be aware that a car can reach speeds up to and in excess of 55 mph, while a biker on a good day may get 10-15.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - potthole - 07-04-2008

boizalynne Wrote:I stand corrected... Construction is the worst part of summer in Michigan...
And of course bikers are not the main cause of people being behind schedual. The problem that I have with bikers is the fact that many (not all) of them seem to believe that they can pedal as fast as cars, not giving way to the ten-car-lineup behind them because for some reason they seem to believe they are flowing with traffic instead of holding it up. By all means, if any of you bike, continue to do so... but be aware that a car can reach speeds up to and in excess of 55 mph, while a biker on a good day may get 10-15.

Actually, most of those "spandex bikers" will average closer to 20 mph while out cruising around. For a lot of those guys, 10 to 15 is taking it easy. The riders you see in the Tour de France will probaby be averaging upwards of 25 or 30 mph, if memory serves correct.

I'll give you this, if a biker is doing his thing in the middle of the lane, not moving over to the side of the road for a car behind him, he's being an a-hole. However, at the same time, I think that as a whole, people hate on the bikers too much.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - Biff - 07-07-2008

No one can hate on spandex wearing bicyclists enough. I don't care if it's "illegal". Get on the damn sidewalk. I ride on the sidewalk constantly for safety reasons and have passed a hundred cops without incident.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - plungerhand - 07-07-2008

potthole Wrote:Country roads aren't safe for them? How the hell much traffic do you have out on a country road?

are you kidding? there are no shoulders to speak of, and all the farm equipment?

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - potthole - 07-07-2008

jus' P Wrote:
potthole Wrote:Country roads aren't safe for them? How the hell much traffic do you have out on a country road?

are you kidding? there are no shoulders to speak of, and all the farm equipment?

Again, I ask. How the hell much traffic do you have on country roads?

Even with a lack of a shoulder, there's more than enough space for a car to pass a biker by going into the opposite lane, just as if they were passing another car.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - potthole - 07-07-2008

Admin Wrote:No one can hate on spandex wearing bicyclists enough. I don't care if it's "illegal". Get on the damn sidewalk. I ride on the sidewalk constantly for safety reasons and have passed a hundred cops without incident.

I'm sure you're not cruising at nearly 20 mph, as the "spandex riders" are. Going that fast on an uneven, narrow sidewalk, which has children playing and cars backing out of driveways, is just asking for a crash.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - Allyson - 07-10-2008

Well I will say that there are no bike paths where I live so the cyclists have no choice but to ride in the street. But more and more I am seeing gangs of bikers (and not the cool kind) riding in the middle of the street on my way to work. Sure they pull over, but there is still not enough room for me to pass them without getting hit by oncoming traffic. And now runners are doing the same thing. I'm sorry, but would you terribly mind taking your recreation elsewhere, like the park?

And while we're on the topic, why is it that I get dirty looks when I ride my bike without wearing queer gear? Just because I choose not to wear hot pink spandex and a fruity helmet doesn't make me any less of a person.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - Howie Feltersnatch - 07-10-2008

they are supposed to ride in the street and obey traffic laws (hand signels and yielding to traffic which they don't)

am I a doosh cyclist if i'm on a motorcycle?

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - Allyson - 07-10-2008

Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:am I a doosh cyclist if i'm on a motorcycle?

Only if you're holding up traffic.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - Biff - 07-10-2008

Yes, and you're doosh [sic] off a motorcycle too.

Admin Wrote:

Yes, and you're doosh [sic] off a motorcycle too.

eff you and your [sic] lingo crap

hippy computer bastard....i'm going home.... Undecided

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - Wiener Poopie - 07-10-2008

If the roads are unsafe, and side walks are illegal were the Eff are bike riders supposed to ride? If your not patient enough to wait 30-60 seconds for traffic to clear so you can pass a bicycle then I want to meet you so I can punch you in the face and shit in you mouth.

wienerpoopie Wrote:If the roads are unsafe, and side walks are illegal were the eff are bike riders supposed to ride? If your not patient enough to wait 30-60 seconds for traffic to clear so you can pass a bicycle then I want to meet you so I can punch you in the face and shit in you mouth.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHhhhhh ha ha ha

[Image: 6788773_400x400.jpg]

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - potthole - 07-10-2008

wienerpoopie Wrote:If the roads are unsafe, and side walks are illegal were the eff are bike riders supposed to ride? If your not patient enough to wait 30-60 seconds for traffic to clear so you can pass a bicycle then I want to meet you so I can punch you in the face and shit in you mouth.

Amen!

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - Queenie - 07-10-2008

Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:
Admin Wrote:Yes, and you're doosh [sic] off a motorcycle too.

eff you and your [sic] lingo crap

hippy computer bastard....i'm going home.... Undecided
You resemble this remark:

[Image: promptbox2.gif]

Tongue

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - uhohspagettio - 07-10-2008

brosephina Wrote:It's not so much traffic volume, but how people drive out there. I really don't know how more people don't get pulled over by county (especially Allegan county, they're always on the prowl), but I didn't even feel safe walking out there when I lived with my parents.

I used to run out on Grafschaap road on the shoulder all the time until the hillbilly rednecks started a game called "scare the shit out of the runner by swerving at him". Now I run earlier in the morning while they are still sleeping it off. And when in the city I will run in the road, sidewalks tear up the knees fast.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - boizalynne - 07-11-2008

Allyson Wrote:Well I will say that there are no bike paths where I live so the cyclists have no choice but to ride in the street. But more and more I am seeing gangs of bikers (and not the cool kind) riding in the middle of the street on my way to work. Sure they pull over, but there is still not enough room for me to pass them without getting hit by oncoming traffic. And now runners are doing the same thing. I'm sorry, but would you terribly mind taking your recreation elsewhere, like the park?

And while we're on the topic, why is it that I get dirty looks when I ride my bike without wearing queer gear? Just because I choose not to wear hot pink spandex and a fruity helmet doesn't make me any less of a person.
LOL!!!! +1

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - Allyson - 08-04-2008

Soooo over the weekend in my parents' town a l33t cyclist douchebag was doing his thing. Well a car was slowly pulling out of a parking lot and the cyclist plowed right into the side of the car, went flying and landed under a parked car while his bike slammed into the side of the same car. The guy is alive but probably wishes he was dead to avoid all the pain an expenses he is paying now. This whole situation could have been avoided by NOT DRIVING IN THE GD STREET.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - potthole - 08-05-2008

Allyson Wrote:Soooo over the weekend in my parents' town a l33t cyclist douchebag was doing his thing. Well a car was slowly pulling out of a parking lot and the cyclist plowed right into the side of the car, went flying and landed under a parked car while his bike slammed into the side of the same car. The guy is alive but probably wishes he was dead to avoid all the pain an expenses he is paying now. This whole situation could have been avoided by NOT DRIVING IN THE GD STREET.

Thing is, if he were on the sidewalk, it seems as though he'd have hit the car too. Can't bike in the street, can't bike on the sidewalk- where's a rider supposed to bike?

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - dino - 08-05-2008

potthole Wrote:Thing is, if he were on the sidewalk, it seems as though he'd have hit the car too. Can't bike in the street, can't bike on the sidewalk- where's a rider supposed to bike?
How about those gay bicycle track circle things!
[Image: gay%20bike%20tracks.jpg]

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - Allyson - 08-05-2008

potthole Wrote:Thing is, if he were on the sidewalk, it seems as though he'd have hit the car too. Can't bike in the street, can't bike on the sidewalk- where's a rider supposed to bike?

In the state park right down the road, on the boardwalk, on the parallel street two blocks away that has no intersections, etc.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - Biff - 08-05-2008

WTF is "133t"?

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - fistor!@# - 08-05-2008

Admin Wrote:WTF is "133t"?

"Elite".

The nerdy, gweebish way of spelling it.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - potthole - 08-05-2008

Allyson Wrote:

In the state park right down the road, on the boardwalk, on the parallel street two blocks away that has no intersections, etc.

You can't take a road bike onto a boardwalk. The uneven surface would be hell on the wheels. And who knows, maybe the guy was on his way to, or back from, that parallel street.

It frustrates me to see bikers called idiots or douches or a-holes just because they're out there enjoying a healthy hobby.

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - uhohspagettio - 08-06-2008

Allyson Wrote:Soooo over the weekend in my parents' town a l33t cyclist douchebag was doing his thing. Well a car was slowly pulling out of a parking lot and the cyclist plowed right into the side of the car, went flying and landed under a parked car while his bike slammed into the side of the same car. The guy is alive but probably wishes he was dead to avoid all the pain an expenses he is paying now. This whole situation could have been avoided by NOT DRIVING IN THE GD STREET.
My friend's wife was riding her bike to work last year to conserve fuel and since she lives a few miles from where she works, why not? Almost the exact same thing that Allyson wrote above happened to her. Except she was in the early stages of pregnancy at the time. She was riding her bike to stay active during the pregnancy instead of sitting on her ass getting fat in front of the TV. Fortunately they did not have any complications and baby was healthy when delivered.
My problem is not with bikers or runners or anyone else on the road except the "133t" (still don't know how you get elite from that) a-holes in cars that think anything smaller than them is worthy of target practice. Yes bikers in their outfits look dumb, but they deserve to ride on the road as much as anyone else. And God forbid you hit one while driving today, but would you tell the officer at the scene "Well it was only a biker. Look how stupid he looks. He shouldn't have been in the road."

133t cyclist douchebags on the highway - Allyson - 08-06-2008

Now I enjoy riding my bike for exercise. Buuut I have the foresight not to do it on a busy street with traffic and intersections. I'll do it on a back road or at the park or a similar place so as not to put myself in danger. I'm not saying that he deserved to be hit by a car by any means but I am saying that the situation could have been avoided if he took similar precautions. Crucify me if you wish, but I think that roads would be easier and safer for everyone if they were "separate but equal" rather than "integrated" if you will.

edit: I think ProvidenceCrow can back me up when I say that riding your bike on Ocean Ave in the middle of summer in Seaside Heights is not the best of ideas.