FBHW Forums
Should Immigrants Learn English ? - Printable Version

+- FBHW Forums (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw)
+-- Forum: Way Up High In The Playpen (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: The Touchy Subject Forum (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Should Immigrants Learn English ? (/showthread.php?tid=670)

Pages: 1 2

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - Titan! - 07-08-2008

Cmon, seriously if you're going to come to a foreign nation, is it too much to ask you to learn the F'ing language ?

If I were planning on going to Germany, I would learn German. Pretty damn simple.

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - providencecrow - 07-08-2008

I say hell yes. I lived in germany, and i did find myself in a few situations where i just couldnt get out what i wanted to in german so id have to resort to english, and i felt like a huge dick every time. You live somewhere, you assimilate with their culture. That's how society works.

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - 38doubledelicious - 07-08-2008

My problem I have with it is, they move here and just expect us to adapt to thier ways and culture. If you want us to do that, then just stay your ass in YOUR own country to begin with. It aint our fault your country sucks, do something about it.

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - kaboobie92 - 07-09-2008

As well said by Stephen Colbert, "If you are in America, speak American". I think its stupid that these people expect us to cater to them, when they came to our country. Learn english, or go home.

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - potthole - 07-09-2008

Yup! Like Titan said, you move to a different country, you speak their language, simple as that.

I'm all for keeping your culture and heritage, and if an immigrant wants to speak their native language in their home with their family, that's cool too. But you need to be able to speak the language that most everybody else in the country speaks.

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - derek - 07-09-2008

I agree with everyone before us. Yes, they should learn to speak english if they come to our country. Most people try to learn some of another persons language if they go to their country.

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - Allyson - 07-09-2008

Honestly, when you live in a new country it isn't too hard to learn the language. I lived in Italy and knew near nothing about the language going in. Within a week I could go down to the store and ask the clerk for an item no problem. I don't know why the same respect cannot be returned.

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - heathman21 - 07-09-2008

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in
good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be
treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to
discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin.
But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and
nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who
says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We
have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag,
which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it
excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for
but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for
but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

~Theodore Roosevelt~

The passages were culled from a letter he wrote to the president of the American Defense Society on January 3, 1919, three days before Roosevelt died.

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - zeehawk30 - 07-09-2008

I agree that immigrants should learn English. I work with a number of Mexicans and Puerto Rican with different levels of being able to speak English. Some obviously try harder to learn then others and some just rely on the ones that try to learn. I also hear native English speaking co-workers give them a hard time when they speak crappy English. I think its important to give an immigrant credit who is trying to learn English but has a long ways to go. Regardless of if they are trying to learn English they should stop talking trash in their native language... I personally understand more then they think and I work with a few 'hijo de putas'.

Allyson Wrote:Honestly, when you live in a new country it isn't too hard to learn the language. I lived in Italy and knew near nothing about the language going in. Within a week I could go down to the store and ask the clerk for an item no problem. I don't know why the same respect cannot be returned.

I disagree. Although some languages might be easy to learn some languages are extremely hard to learn. I was in Thailand for a month and tried to learn some Thai. Thai is such a hard word that depending on how they emphasize the meaning changes dramatically. They would say five different words but they would all sound the exact same to me. They tried to teach me how to say 'Hi' but laughed hysterically when I repeatedly said, 'gravel.' After a month I was able to say one word properly. I still think they should learn English but I acknowledge that it might be difficult and I have a lot of respect for those learning English.

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - Howie Feltersnatch - 07-09-2008

I know English isn't easy to learn as an adult...but what would be easier, having the entire country learn spanish or having a Mexican Immigrant learn English...probably the later.

If you want to be successful in the country you need to speak the language, unfortunatly in this country to don't need to work to be successful...Food Stamps Por Favor

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - dino - 07-09-2008

Yep.....what they said

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - plungerhand - 07-09-2008

yes they should, but this is " the land that killed the middle class". It's not gonna happen so take steps to get ahead. I encourage all teens to take Spanish in HS. Worst case job scenario,you can manage any fast food chain.

jus' P Wrote:yes they should, but this is " the land that killed the middle class". It's not gonna happen so take steps to get ahead. I encourage all teens to take Spanish in HS. Worst case job scenario,you can manage any fast food chain.

I agree, a guy i went to highshool with. Typical stupid Jock, failed classes, kicked off the team loser type....Now has a job that pays as well as mine (not that i'm some sort of greatness) because he speaks Spanish and English fluently....

damn my white parents

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - Queenie - 07-09-2008

How all business phones should be answered:

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Press
'1' for English.

Press
'2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPuIMLAJEb8

I have never taken any Spanish training. Working with a good percentage of Spanish speaking people the majority of my adult career I have learned some Spanish. In my experience the Spanish I know is more useful then the Spanish other learned in high school. Granted in Spanish I can primarily hit on women and insult men. Eres hermosa Sluttynurse, mi cielo.

Oh, I should give some credit to Dora the Explorer and Diego for teaching me numbers, colors, and animal names. If I'm ever walking down a path in the jungle and I have to choose between the roho path and the azul path I am confident that I will be able to avoid the puma.

I've been to Mexico a few times and always prepared myself with books on tape "learn to speak Spanish in 5 days" just to be able to adapt to my surroundings. I thought it only proper if I was going to another culture with a different language that I prepare myself. It was quite useful when trying to get from point A to point B or if I needed something (like aspirin).

Queenie Wrote:I've been to Mexico a few times and always prepared myself with books on tape "learn to speak Spanish in 5 days" just to be able to adapt to my surroundings. I thought it only proper if I was going to another culture with a different language that I prepare myself. It was quite useful when trying to get from point A to point B or if I needed something (like aspirin).

ummmm, they don't come to visit......

jus' P Wrote:
Queenie Wrote:I've been to Mexico a few times and always prepared myself with books on tape "learn to speak Spanish in 5 days" just to be able to adapt to my surroundings. I thought it only proper if I was going to another culture with a different language that I prepare myself. It was quite useful when trying to get from point A to point B or if I needed something (like aspirin).

i sorta snickered at myself for saying 'Mexican Immigrant' as they don't usually do that either...more of a Mexican Strole, in and out as they please

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - 38doubledelicious - 07-09-2008

I was born and raised in Texas, they taught us spanish starting in elementary school, when I moved here (Tennessee) in high school I was so amazed that it was optional. I guess down there you dont have a choice. When I took my children back to meet my cousins (all married to what im quite sure were illegal aliens) and thier children my kids looked quite funny, only speaking English. But like Zee, after a couple hundred Dora and Diego tapes, im just so proud of them little hellions... :'(

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - jaydethespaz - 07-09-2008

potthole Wrote:Yup! Like Titan said, you move to a different country, you speak their language, simple as that.

I'm all for keeping your culture and heritage, and if an immigrant wants to speak their native language in their home with their family, that's cool too. But you need to be able to speak the language that most everybody else in the country speaks.

I agree with this. honestly, speak your native tounge at home because we already know that you talk bad about us in your native tounge out in public and don't appreciate it

jus' P Wrote:

I bet they start out that way . . . how do you know?. . . ummm is this more useful information?? :-*

Queenie Wrote:
jus' P Wrote:ummmm, they don't come to visit......

I bet they start out that way . . . how do you know?. . . ummm is this more useful information?? :-*

Last time I checked, "people" don't go on "vacation", to find employment and take up residence, flood our school system with their children and collect FREE health benefits..But I could be wrong.

38DoubleDelicious Wrote:I was born and raised in Texas, they taught us spanish starting in elementary school, when I moved here (Tennessee) in high school I was so amazed that it was optional. I guess down there you dont have a choice. When I took my children back to meet my cousins (all married to what im quite sure were illegal aliens) and thier children my kids looked quite funny, only speaking English. But like Zee, after a couple hundred Dora and Diego tapes, im just so proud of them little hellions... :'(

Yes, here in the bible belt we appreciate a good, hard working, english speaking person.
Not to sound too racist, common cliche, but it is true that where I come from we don't think too highly of illegals coming in and taking good jobs and living in low income housing...not being reported to the IRS...all that jazz.

In fact we hate it, I lived in a town where the whites and blacks are prejudice against the illegal mexicans.

Bo Nerdasuck Wrote:
38DoubleDelicious Wrote:I was born and raised in Texas, they taught us spanish starting in elementary school, when I moved here (Tennessee) in high school I was so amazed that it was optional. I guess down there you dont have a choice. When I took my children back to meet my cousins (all married to what im quite sure were illegal aliens) and thier children my kids looked quite funny, only speaking English. But like Zee, after a couple hundred Dora and Diego tapes, im just so proud of them little hellions... :'(

Yes, here in the bible belt we appreciate a good, hard working, english speaking person.
Not to sound too racist, common cliche, but it is true that where I come from we don't think too highly of illegals coming in and taking good jobs and living in low income housing...not being reported to the IRS...all that jazz.

In fact we hate it, I lived in a town where the whites and blacks are prejudice against the illegal mexicans.

Must be from Springfield...I hear ya Bo, they're everywhere......

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - 38doubledelicious - 07-09-2008

I do by choice speak English. I used my horrible horrible Spanish when I went to Mexico for spring break one year. When I was in college I worked part time at Walmart as a cashier, you wouldn't believe the Mexicans that came through there with food stamps and such. I remember cashing their payroll checks from the chicken plant we have up here, $400.00 and week and $600.00 worth of food stamps. Neither one had the same name on it, when questioned my manager told me just to cash it, cause it was just easier than trying to question them about it.

While I'm on the rant, am I the only one who notices the Mexican kids (even babies no more than 2 or 3) running wild unsupervised in Walmart and such? Are they not afraid of their children being abducted?

38DoubleDelicious Wrote:I do by choice speak English. I used my horrible horrible Spanish when I went to Mexico for spring break one year. When I was in college I worked part time at Walmart as a cashier, you wouldn't believe the Mexicans that came through there with food stamps and such. I remember cashing their payroll checks from the chicken plant we have up here, $400.00 and week and $600.00 worth of food stamps. Neither one had the same name on it, when questioned my manager told me just to cash it, cause it was just easier than trying to question them about it.

While I'm on the rant, am I the only one who notices the Mexican kids (even babies no more than 2 or 3) running wild unsupervised in Walmart and such? Are they not afraid of their children being abducted?

HAHA!

"Save on Taxes, abduct an immigrant!"

HAHAHA

38DoubleDelicious Wrote:I do by choice speak English. I used my horrible horrible Spanish when I went to Mexico for spring break one year. When I was in college I worked part time at Walmart as a cashier, you wouldn't believe the Mexicans that came through there with food stamps and such. I remember cashing their payroll checks from the chicken plant we have up here, $400.00 and week and $600.00 worth of food stamps. Neither one had the same name on it, when questioned my manager told me just to cash it, cause it was just easier than trying to question them about it.

They F-in live there on Saturdays!!!! I won't go to ours on Sat for anything!!!(except to fight)

I know our economy depends upon their labor(thanks 6th generation lazy white trash), but at least be legal and pay your own way!

jus' P Wrote:

They F-in live there on Saturdays!!!! I won't go to ours on Sat for anything!!!(except to fight)

I know our economy depends upon their labor(thanks 6th generation lazy white trash), but at least be legal and pay your own way!

Who knows how Western Union and the likes work? I don't really...but from what i understand a store can only send so much money each month or quarter or whatever....well there is a Mexican store in my neighborhood that wires money to mexico for all the area laborers....they maxed out their something like 100k$ limit in a matter of a few hours...all the money the farmers are paying the laborers is going to Mexico while our money (food stamps) is paying for their groceries for them to stay here longer, wire more money out, and have more babies on our dime

eeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!1111111!!!

now i'm pissed

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - Titan! - 07-09-2008

To quote Dennis Miller

"Go the Eff back to Effitania"

That probably looks pretty silly with the word censor, but you get the idea.

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - Titan! - 07-09-2008

jus' P Wrote:

Hey Earl, whatchoo doon ?

Nuttin much, you?

Yeah nuttin.

Wanna go ta Wal Mart and fight ?

Yeah.

I hope you had as much fun reading that as I did writing it.

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - hotsauce - 07-09-2008

It must be a real slap in the face of all the people that come here through the legal and right way to become citizens of our great nation. They are proud to be called Americans and worked hard to learn our language. I have an Aunt who is from France. She came here after World War II. Don't call her French... She is an American and extremely proud to be an American. I understand if you are proud of your heritage, but you came here for some reason. We are melting pot, you are supposed to become a part of us. We are not supposed to become like you. If you want people like you, then stay in your own country Don't come here and try to make us like you. I'm an American and I am DAMN PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN. If you you don't want to speak English. GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hotsauce Wrote:It must be a real slap in the face of all the people that come here through the legal and right way to become citizens of our great nation. They are proud to be called Americans and worked hard to learn our language. I have an Aunt who is from France. She came here after World War II. Don't call her French... She is an American and extremely proud to be an American. I understand if you are proud of your heritage, but you came here for some reason. We are melting pot, you are supposed to become a part of us. We are not supposed to become like you. If you want people like you, then stay in your own country Don't come here and try to make us like you. I'm an American and I am DAMN PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN. If you you don't want to speak English. GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ik ben een Nederlandse Amerikaan. Ik geloof niet dat een smeltende pot is zodat iedereen meer kan worden zoals u hoewel. Mijn begrip van een smeltende pot is dat alles in de smeltende potveranderingen en ik hoop dat wij kunnen iedereen iets van eachother leren en iedereen verandert voor het betere. Ik weet niet waar uw voorouders imigrated van, maar ik kan niet helpen, maar kan me verwonderen over indien de eerste generatie in de USA Engels sprak.

I am a Dutch American. I don't believe that a melting pot is so that everyone can become more like you though. My understanding of a melting pot is that everything in the melting pot changes and I hope that we can all learn something from eachother and all change for the better. I don't know where your ancestors imigrated from but I can't help but wonder if the first generation in the USA spoke English.

I don't have a problem with learning from others. But I don't believe that the few of them should change the many of us to the way that they are or where they are from

hotsauce Wrote:I don't have a problem with learning from others. But I don't believe that the few of them should change the many of us to the way that they are or where they are from

Since the topic is learning English I agree that in that case the minority should adapt to the majority.

how do you put a box around points you are trying to make like everyone else does I can't figure out how it is done

Should Immigrants Learn English ? - Biff - 07-09-2008

hotsauce Wrote:how do you put a box around points you are trying to make like everyone else does I can't figure out how it is done

On the right hand corner of a post is a "[Image: quote.gif]" icon. Click it.

hotsauce Wrote:how do you put a box around points you are trying to make like everyone else does I can't figure out how it is done

Hit the quote button of the post you want to "put a box around."

Zee Wrote:

Hit the quote button of the post you want to "put a box oh thank around."

oh thanks muchly

hey it worked. Sorry it didn't look right in the reply box so I didn't think I was doin it right