FBHW Forums
Who is it? - Printable Version

+- FBHW Forums (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw)
+-- Forum: Way Up High In The Playpen (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: I can't wait to talk about........ (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Grand Rapids/West Michigan Local (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+---- Thread: Who is it? (/showthread.php?tid=780)

Pages: 1 2

Who is it? - cyborgmexican - 07-17-2008

Local listeners. Who is going to get destroyed next week?

Who is it? - fistor!@# - 07-17-2008

They said it's a "he", so my guess is Suzanne Geha.

Who is it? - elegor - 07-17-2008

It's gotta be Kevin Matthews.

Who is it? - dino - 07-17-2008

Kevin Mathews?

I have no clue....I don't listen to any other GR shows.

Maybe Rick and/or Scott! Did they specify AM or FM?

The radio voice of Kevin Matthews has been heard over airways across the country for nearly 25 years. Kev, as he prefers to be called, began his radio career in 1978 at WSRX student radio at Grand Valley State University in Grand Rapids, Mich.

After graduating from GVSU, Kevin worked his way up through the Grand Rapids, Mich. radio market until he finally settled at the city's classic rock station, WLAV-FM. There, he created a legendary morning show that quickly earned number-one status in the West Michigan market - and stayed there until he left West Michigan in 1984. Next stop St. Louis.

Who is it? - christian - 07-17-2008

Does anyone have a list of past memebers of the station? or somewhere to find them?

Who is it? - iluvanul - 07-17-2008

elegor Wrote:It's gotta be Kevin Matthews.

Yeah, that is the only one that makes sense. I do know that at one time though, Bubba the Love Sponge was at GRD back in the '80's, so there is an off chance it is him, but they never talk about him and they seem to not have a problem with him either, so it has got to be Kevin Matthews.

Who is it? - Queenie - 07-17-2008

DAMMIT my freakin sound card went out on my puter!!

[drop]waaaaaa . . . i'm sad about stuff[/drop]

cyborgmexican Wrote:The radio voice of Kevin Matthews has been heard over airways across the country for nearly 25 years. Kev, as he prefers to be called, began his radio career in 1978 at WSRX student radio at Grand Valley State University in Grand Rapids, Mich.

After graduating from GVSU, Kevin worked his way up through the Grand Rapids, Mich. radio market until he finally settled at the city's classic rock station, WLAV-FM. There, he created a legendary morning show that quickly earned number-one status in the West Michigan market - and stayed there until he left West Michigan in 1984. Next stop St. Louis.

You talk exactly like an online encyclopedia reads. How do you do that?

It's either Rick Beckett or Kevin Matthews.

Or it's someone else.

Who is it? - dino - 07-17-2008

That would be awesome if it was Rick.

I find him quite F'n annoying!

Who is it? - Queenie - 07-17-2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Matthews

Who is it? - iluvanul - 07-17-2008

dino Wrote:Kevin Mathews?

I have no clue....I don't listen to any other GR shows.

Maybe Rick and/or Scott! Did they specify AM or FM?

I don't think there is any animosity or bad blood between them. In fact, I think that they actually get along pretty well, all things considered. (I think I heard Zane talking about it a few years ago) plus, I don't think Rick Beckett woul dhave a problem with anyone rehashing something he did 25 years ago. Hell, he'd probably want to simulcast it so he could rip on himself as well.

Fistor Wrote:You talk exactly like an online encyclopedia reads. How do you do that?

Ctrl C, Ctrl V.

And actually its from LAVs site not an encyclopedia.

Who is it? - Philly Mike - 07-17-2008

Fistor Wrote:It's either Rick Beckett or Kevin Matthews.

Or it's someone else.

very specific, especally the someone else part.

Who is it? - born2bone - 07-17-2008

Can you tell me what segment this was?

Who is it? - potthole - 07-17-2008

Was Kevin Matthews on GRD ever? This past weekend some of my friends were talking about the good old days of listening to him on LAV back in the early '80s, before he left the market.

Not sure if it's Bubba. I seem to remember them a few weeks back saying he was a cool guy.

Who is it? - Biff - 07-17-2008

FB&HW specifically mentioned only having a problem with two radio personalities in the GR market. One was Huge-A-Dumb-Ass and the other was Kevin.

And with a smidgeon of research we find that Kev did in fact work at WGRD in the early 80's just before he went to WLAV.

Who is it? - pwagon - 07-17-2008

Wasn't Beckett on KLQ during the 80's...the Q morning zoo.

SEEEEYAAA

pwagon Wrote:Wasn't Beckett on KLQ during the 80's...the Q morning zoo.

SEEEEYAAA

That was the early 90's. Beckett is a no talent ass clown.

Who is it? - Philly Mike - 07-17-2008

Brian Wrote:Can you tell me what segment this was?
It was spoken of in the final segment, the local one.

Remember the KLQ Morning Zoo jingle?

"Go bananas with the nuts, go bananas with the nuts, at the KLQ morning zoo!"

Admin Wrote:
pwagon Wrote:Wasn't Beckett on KLQ during the 80's...the Q morning zoo.

SEEEEYAAA

That was the early 90's. Beckett is a no talent ass clown.

It was in the 80's as well. I was on the show in 1988, pimping my sweet Junior Achievement company.

I remember Darla Jaye being extraordinarily bitchy.

Who is it? - kpaff3587 - 07-17-2008

I am a local listener but did not hear this this morning. I have the podcast. What segment would it be on. For some reason, Zane did not load the 16th segment today. No idea why. Anyway, what segment would it be?

Who is it? - houseboat - 07-17-2008

A few of the e-mailers got it right.

I'm sure their guess was THE LEGEND.

Who is it? - Mad Dog - 07-17-2008

Didn't they give the clue that this person owns a record shop in Grand Rapids? The only dj that I know with that discription is Aris Hampers and he was also around GRD in the early 80's

They said the person is still on the air. Aris, to my knowledge, isn't on the air anymore.

Incidentally, did he move his disc shop or did it close?

Who is it? - Titan! - 07-17-2008

Admin Wrote:They said the person is still on the air. Aris, to my knowledge, isn't on the air anymore.

Incidentally, did he move his disc shop or did it close?

That place was one of the first places I went into after moving to GR, and it was such a disappointment, I never went back.

Who is it? - potthole - 07-17-2008

kpaff3587 Wrote:I am a local listener but did not hear this this morning. I have the podcast. What segment would it be on. For some reason, Zane did not load the 16th segment today. No idea why. Anyway, what segment would it be?

Sixteen, probably.

Who is it? - toddlerfundler - 07-17-2008

I called and asked if it was Becket and the Intern said no.. sooo IDK

Who is it? - potthole - 07-18-2008

toddlerfondler Wrote:I called and asked if it was Becket and the Intern said no.. sooo IDK

Doesn't mean they were telling the truth to you.

Who is it? - toddlerfundler - 07-18-2008

true

Who is it? - lehmanr - 07-18-2008

Admin Wrote:And with a smidgeon of research we find that Kev did in fact work at WGRD in the early 80's just before he went to WLAV.

I think it's Kevin Matthews

Who is it? - micyek - 07-18-2008

I don't think it will be Beckett, they've spoke favorably of Rick and Scott in the recent past.

Who is it? - cyborgmexican - 07-18-2008

Well today they basically gave a bio of Kevin Matthews without saying his name. IDK why it

Who is it? - speedbump - 07-18-2008

Queenie Wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Matthews
[Image: kevinmatthewsnn8.jpg]
It lasted for approximately 10 seconds. Maybe something less obvious would work?

Who is it? - elegor - 07-21-2008

elegor Wrote:It's gotta be Kevin Matthews.

Winner!

Who is it? - egowx - 07-21-2008

They said in their local after 10 it was kev...

eric also mentioned that they have some of the same voices and bits he does now on the tape. Shud be awesome.

I just cannot listen to that show at all.

Who is it? - addicted2wow - 07-21-2008

darn I thought it was gonna be Rick and Scott

they still sound the same as 20 years ago...DUMB