FBHW Forums
Domestic Cars vs Imports - Printable Version

+- FBHW Forums (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw)
+-- Forum: Way Up High In The Playpen (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: The Touchy Subject Forum (https://www.cdih.net/fbhw/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Domestic Cars vs Imports (/showthread.php?tid=980)

Pages: 1 2

Domestic Cars vs Imports - Howie Feltersnatch - 08-04-2008

Re: American Jobs.

My dad's "American Truck" (GMC) was made in Mexico and Canada...hardly American. The only Americans making money from the sale of that truck were the fat cats in the tall buildings that own stock in the company.

Meanwhile, my father in laws Toyota was made in Indiana. There are hundreds of employees putting together 'foreign' trucks, but this time the fat cats are in a different country.

Now I'd much rather see guys and gals like me making the money and having a job as opposed to the fat cats.

personally where I sit i'm buying the better truck for the better price. I don't care where it was made, but I were to decide solely on the "American-ness" of it I'd go Toyota

Domestic Cars vs Imports - Wiener Poopie - 08-04-2008

My Ford was built in Kentucky, the same town as your old ranger Howie

[quote="wienerpoopie"]My Ford was built in Kentucky, the same town as your old ranger Howie

Domestic Cars vs Imports - Queenie - 08-04-2008

We have a large Saturn manufacturer right outside of Nashville. I'm pretty sure that the parts are made here and assembled here.

Domestic Cars vs Imports - scooterfanatic - 08-04-2008

Asia and Europe make some pretty junky cars, but most of them don't get imported here, so I think that colors our perception of them a bit. We have to deal with the whole gambit of American vehicles, but only get exposed to the best the outside has to offer. Once in a while a crappy car slips through but not very often.

Quality is mostly in the realm of engineering now. Line workers are mostly there just to bolt parts on since the major welding, assembly and painting are done by robots.

scooterfanatic Wrote:Asia and Europe make some pretty junky cars, but most of them don't get imported here, so I think that colors our perception of them a bit. We have to deal with the whole gambit of American vehicles, but only get exposed to the best the outside has to offer. Once in a while a crappy car slips through but not very often.

Quality is mostly in the realm of engineering now. Line workers are mostly there just to bolt parts on since the major welding, assembly and painting are done by robots.

while i agree, in regards to American Employment Toyota's Indiana Plant is doing America more good than GM's Canada plant, even though more dollars may be coming back from GM to feed the rich ahole...$5 to me is more helpful than $7 to richy mc dick

Domestic Cars vs Imports - Wiener Poopie - 08-04-2008

I looked at a co-worker

Domestic Cars vs Imports - flyersfantn - 08-04-2008

Queenie Wrote:We have a large Saturn manufacturer right outside of Nashville. I'm pretty sure that the parts are made here and assembled here.

You consider at least 60 miles away to be "right outside of nashville". pfft, I wish it was that close, if that was the case, I'd be heading into downtown nashville every weekend.

Domestic Cars vs Imports - Biff - 08-04-2008

Before I got married I had a girlfriend who drove a Camry made in the USA and I drove a RAM made in Mexico.

Domestic Cars vs Imports - zanessweater - 08-04-2008

Queenie Wrote:We have a large Saturn manufacturer right outside of Nashville. I'm pretty sure that the parts are made here and assembled here.

Yes, Queen - most of the parts are made from outsourced companies around Spring Hill - but I also know they import some parts (I believe the engines are imported, but I could be wrong). There is a sticker that is REQUIRED to be put on the cars from the factory that has the part content orgin percentages. My husband works at Nissan and the Altima that he builds is more american than my Mustang GT. I'm with Feltersnatch - Nissan might be a "foreign" company, but hell, it sure is paying for my rock I bought in Lebanon (TN) and our house, and shit, 43k last year in AMERICAN taxes (yes, I had 43k).

Domestic Cars vs Imports - chevsscamaro67 - 08-05-2008

Blame it on outsourcing, time to put a stop to it IMO. There aren't any factory jobs around like there used to be and it limits job opportunities for those who don't have the education.

Domestic Cars vs Imports - airhornahole - 08-08-2008

Howie, you have to remember that there are hundreds of others (besides the fat cats) in Detroit who are making monry from that truck. There's Engineering, Purchasing, Marketing, Quality, not to mention the American based suppliers. I do agree, it would be nice if all "American" cars and trucks were built in the States. However, to be honest, coming from someone with many years of experience in automotive, the Mexican workers do a much better job of Quality control. OK go ahead let me have it.

Domestic Cars vs Imports - Howie Feltersnatch - 08-08-2008

airhornahole Wrote:Howie, you have to remember that there are hundreds of others (besides the fat cats) in Detroit who are making monry from that truck. There's Engineering, Purchasing, Marketing, Quality, not to mention the American based suppliers. I do agree, it would be nice if all "American" cars and trucks were built in the States. However, to be honest, coming from someone with many years of experience in automotive, the Mexican workers do a much better job of Quality control. OK go ahead let me have it.

ok, of the marketers, purchasers ect...which jobs that are here in the US for domestic cars are not here for the big imports like Toyota?

Domestic Cars vs Imports - Howie Feltersnatch - 08-08-2008

airhornahole Wrote:Howie, you have to remember that there are hundreds of others (besides the fat cats) in Detroit who are making monry from that truck. There's Engineering, Purchasing, Marketing, Quality, not to mention the American based suppliers. I do agree, it would be nice if all "American" cars and trucks were built in the States. However, to be honest, coming from someone with many years of experience in automotive, the Mexican workers do a much better job of Quality control. OK go ahead let me have it.

PS, I hate the UAW *donning flame suit*

Domestic Cars vs Imports - airhornahole - 08-11-2008

Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:

ok, of the marketers, purchasers ect...which jobs that are here in the US for domestic cars are not here for the big imports like Toyota?

The "transplants" have assembly plants all around the U.S. Also, they have North American headquarters which, for the most part, cotrol those plants and all support work for the assembly. Similar to the Detroit offices of the Detroit three but on a much smaller scale. They fo receive driving orders from their "mother country" but employ many American's at the same time. My feeling is that the Detroit three have been running fat and happy for so long that they don't know how to respond to the changing markets as quickly as the others.

Domestic Cars vs Imports - landmammaldolphin - 08-22-2008

I am a tier 2 automotive supplier and therefore I go into auto plants all the time. Every time I go into one of these plants I see tool boxes with the obligatory "Buy American" bumper sticker pasted on the side. The thing that is funny to me is that while the auto companies want you to "buy American," they don't. The vast majority of machines that make the parts for your vehicles are made overseas. Most are from Germany, England and now Japan and China. So if they don't buy American why the F should I? Now don't get me wrong, I'll take their money all day long, I just don't appreciate the contradiction. Besides, our Equinox's enging was made in China, the transmission was made in Japan and it was assembled in Canada...thank goodness I "Bought American."

Domestic Cars vs Imports - Howie Feltersnatch - 08-22-2008

landmammaldolphin Wrote:I am a tier 2 automotive supplier and therefore I go into auto plants all the time. Every time I go into one of these plants I see tool boxes with the obligatory "Buy American" bumper sticker pasted on the side. The thing that is funny to me is that while the auto companies want you to "buy American," they don't. The vast majority of machines that make the parts for your vehicles are made overseas. Most are from Germany, England and now Japan and China. So if they don't buy American why the F should I? Now don't get me wrong, I'll take their money all day long, I just don't appreciate the contradiction. Besides, our Equinox's enging was made in China, the transmission was made in Japan and it was assembled in Canada...thank goodness I "Bought American."

i'll exalt you despite your avatar....

Domestic Cars vs Imports - landmammaldolphin - 08-22-2008

I should have you know that I have not a clue who I am going to vote for. If you read below the "Vote Obama" portion you will see that it says "Just to piss off HW, FB & Eric Zane"

Domestic Cars vs Imports - Howie Feltersnatch - 08-25-2008

landmammaldolphin Wrote:I should have you know that I have not a clue who I am going to vote for. If you read below the "Vote Obama" portion you will see that it says "Just to piss off HW, FB & Eric Zane"

as long as it's a joke i'm cool with it....people that vote 'just to screw up anothers run' or out of smite piss me off.

I'm all for people that don't know what they want not voting, they're letting others choose their future but atleast theyr'e not effing up mine!

Domestic Cars vs Imports - Wiener Poopie - 08-25-2008

Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:
landmammaldolphin Wrote:I should have you know that I have not a clue who I am going to vote for. If you read below the "Vote Obama" portion you will see that it says "Just to piss off HW, FB & Eric Zane"

as long as it's a joke i'm cool with it....people that vote 'just to screw up anothers run' or out of smite piss me off.

I'm all for people that don't know what they want not voting, they're letting others choose their future but atleast theyr'e not effing up mine!
[Image: baby_crying_closeup.jpg]

Domestic Cars vs Imports - Howie Feltersnatch - 08-26-2008

wienerpoopie Wrote:[Image: baby_crying_closeup.jpg]

even baby's know when poopie is giving them 'the bad touch'

Domestic Cars vs Imports - nutbush - 08-26-2008

I think one of the biggest issues that I have with domestic cars is simply their lack of real buyer-end appeal. Look at the Chevy Malibu. Just this year they finally did a re-design of the car to make it actually stand out in the long-line up of full size sedans on the road. The year before?? The thing looked like a side-project for an intern at Chevy! Don't even start on their minivans...those STILL look terrible...but they are mini-vans, and no one cares about them anyways.

My dad drives an '08 impala that has a toyota engine in it. He says he doesn't care because the money go to *pointing at the chevy emblem*.

To each their own I suppose. For me, I like the styling and build more of the imports, but I don't think that I could ever own a truck with something other than a domestic name attached to it.

Domestic Cars vs Imports - airhornahole - 08-26-2008

nutbush Wrote:Don't even start on their minivans...those STILL look terrible...but they are mini-vans, and no one cares about them anyways.

GM and Ford both stopped production of minivans a couple years ago due to low sales. They instead increased the production of crossovers and SUV's. Maybe they shoul dhave seen teh writting on the wall and started making a car someone wants to buy.

I can't agree with you more. The only way they have been coming out with stylish cars is by retroing past muscle cars.

Domestic Cars vs Imports - acb384 - 08-27-2008

Domestics are getting much better at making cars that actually look good and have decent quality but we have yet to see how these new cars are going to hold up in 3-5 years and beyond.
I have exclusively driven Hondas for my last 4 cars including my current one (most of them assembled by US workers.) All of my cars were purchased used and comparing them to equivalent used domestics they are holding up much better and holding their value much better.
'90 accord 229k miles needed and alt and starter...engine/trans never touched
'96 accord 179k miles needed a starter once
'03 accord 161k miles nothing needed
'07 civic 21k - nothing
thats a pretty good track record of you ask me.
My grandparents worked for GM for years and got sick of repairs on their GM (olds, buick) cars that they bought new every 2 years. They now have a Honda Odyssey that they have had for 5 years and have done nothing. Its the oldest car they have had in 30 years and they have no plans to sell it.

Domestic Cars vs Imports - plungerhand - 08-27-2008

acb384 Wrote:Domestics are getting much better at making cars that actually look good and have decent quality but we have yet to see how these new cars are going to hold up in 3-5 years and beyond.
I have exclusively driven Hondas for my last 4 cars including my current one (most of them assembled by US workers.) All of my cars were purchased used and comparing them to equivalent used domestics they are holding up much better and holding their value much better.
'90 accord 229k miles needed and alt and starter...engine/trans never touched
'96 accord 179k miles needed a starter once
'03 accord 161k miles nothing needed
'07 civic 21k - nothing
thats a pretty good track record of you ask me.
My grandparents worked for GM for years and got sick of repairs on their GM (olds, buick) cars that they bought new every 2 years. They now have a Honda Odyssey that they have had for 5 years and have done nothing. Its the oldest car they have had in 30 years and they have no plans to sell it.

Yeah, but they're gay.(the Honda's, not your parents)

I like my GM junk. Nothing better than spending time with a loved one(car) every Sat.. just to be cool..kinda like smoking...

Domestic Cars vs Imports - Torque - 09-09-2008

jus' P Wrote:Nothing better than spending time with a loved one(car) every Sat.. just to be cool..kinda like smoking...

I agree

I'm a weird dual- 1/2 (I love classic muscle cars/chevy trucks/older jeeps) and 1/2 Volvo-for-life

Some imports like honda, are tin can death traps but many seem to last forever with minimal maintenance. Volvo used to be known for being safe AND lasting forever with minimal maintenance. Now that Ford has raped Volvo, its becoming less of the case

My biggest beef is with both domestic and imports becoming so electronics heavy/dependent regardless of where the components are actually made, it makes it harder and harder to work on your car yourself. It reminds me of the newer Windows versions that annoy the hell out of anyone not completely computer illiterate- fancy colors and zippy pop ups but every five seconds you get a window that says, "Do you really want to do this?" when you try to do anything remotely not-mindless...

Domestic Cars vs Imports - acb384 - 10-07-2008

Hondas and most other imports...hell even Hyundai have come a long way from tin can death traps. compare a 08 cobalt to a 08 civic...what feels more like a tin can?
Yes cars have become more electronics dependant but because of that they have also become, more powerful, more efficient and have lower emissions.

Domestic Cars vs Imports - Torque - 10-07-2008

acb384 Wrote:Hondas and most other imports...hell even Hyundai have come a long way from tin can death traps. compare a 08 cobalt to a 08 civic...what feels more like a tin can?
Yes cars have become more electronics dependant but because of that they have also become, more powerful, more efficient and have lower emissions.

Yes Hondas have improved while cobalts/G5s/etc have gotten crappier but Hyundai I'll have to argue with. In the past 4 months I witnessed 3 accidents with brand new Hyundais and they all were totaled while the other cars were only smashed a little. In all three cases the occupants were mangled, none survived, I saw the body parts personally in one case. Anecdotal yes, but personally convincing.

As for electronics, I don't have a problem with chips and the like as they can be easily modded/overridden, but when it comes to computers monitoring everything, locking things down, and unnecessary "big brother options" I get frustrated. Regarding emissions, I have a couple colorful phrases I'd like to put to the govt and manufacturers.

Domestic Cars vs Imports - chevsscamaro67 - 10-09-2008

Potaytos, pototos. I'll take my Chevy mullet mobile (Camaro) and repair the shit out of it over and over again to keep it on the road before I buy a Honda. It's nothing against Honda, as everyone knows, they make great cars but it's just not me.

Domestic Cars vs Imports - phantom - 10-10-2008

My 1997 Ford Ranger XLT 229,000 plus miles and had only 42,000 at purchase.

Repairs of a major level: clutch and timing belt this past month.
Minor level replacements: battery.

Whether American made or foreign - the best vehicle I have owned yet to date.

Domestic Cars vs Imports - krystal - 10-11-2008

I own a 1989 BMW 325I by the name of Greta the Nazi. She can be a heinous be-otch, but she still works decently well, she gets me to and from work (an 80 mile round trip), still gets over 30 miles to the gallon, and has very nice black leather seats (which would be nicer if she had air conditioning). But considering how well my car has held up considering she is almost 20 years old, I think I that even if I get a new car in the probably distant future, I would go German again.

Domestic Cars vs Imports - Torque - 10-14-2008

ChevSSCamaro67 Wrote:Potaytos, pototos. I'll take my Chevy mullet mobile (Camaro) and repair the shit out of it over and over again to keep it on the road before I buy a Honda. It's nothing against Honda, as everyone knows, they make great cars but it's just not me.

I'd take your car over 50 hondas any day. And just so you know, I've never seen a person with a mullet driving one, well at least a V8. Hell half the guys I know that have one get their hair cut more frequently than me, and wear more expensive clothes

Domestic Cars vs Imports - cory108 - 10-22-2008

I will take German engineering over anything now. The best vehicle I own is my 1982 Chevy S-10. It had 300K on it when I swapped the motor for a sb 350! I will die in that truck.

Domestic Cars vs Imports - Torque - 10-23-2008

My car just hit 302,000, & we're just getting started

Domestic Cars vs Imports - airhornahole - 10-24-2008

cory108 Wrote:I will take German engineering over anything now. The best vehicle I own is my 1982 Chevy S-10. It had 300K on it when I swapped the motor for a sb 350! I will die in that truck.

So do you want German Engineering or a Chevy? ???

Domestic Cars vs Imports - fetusfacedwindbag - 10-24-2008

Torque Wrote:
ChevSSCamaro67 Wrote:Potaytos, pototos. I'll take my Chevy mullet mobile (Camaro) and repair the shit out of it over and over again to keep it on the road before I buy a Honda. It's nothing against Honda, as everyone knows, they make great cars but it's just not me.

I'd take your car over 50 hondas any day. And just so you know, I've never seen a person with a mullet driving one, well at least a V8. Hell half the guys I know that have one get their hair cut more frequently than me, and wear more expensive clothes

You must have never been to the south in the 80's.... you could have seen plenty of this...

airhornahole Wrote:
cory108 Wrote:I will take German engineering over anything now. The best vehicle I own is my 1982 Chevy S-10. It had 300K on it when I swapped the motor for a sb 350! I will die in that truck.

So do you want German Engineering or a Chevy? ???

Yeah man. Make some sense.

Domestic Cars vs Imports - Rock Monster - 10-24-2008

fetusfacedwindbag Wrote:
airhornahole Wrote:So do you want German Engineering or a Chevy? ???

Yeah man. Make some sense.

I think he's saying that he would take German engineering before new American. "they just don't make 'em like they used to..."

Rock Monster Wrote:
fetusfacedwindbag Wrote:Yeah man. Make some sense.

I think he's saying that he would take German engineering before new American. "they just don't make 'em like they used to..."

and there you have it..... 8-)

Domestic Cars vs Imports - airhornahole - 10-24-2008

fetusfacedwindbag Wrote:
Rock Monster Wrote:I think he's saying that he would take German engineering before new American. "they just don't make 'em like they used to..."

and there you have it..... 8-)

I sure am glad the 3 of us can tell that newb what he was thinking. I like it. Big Grin